Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:47:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Dawson ‘2020’ album and ‘Jogging’ single

Started by An Actual Propeller, August 05, 2019, 02:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I know the boy Dawson gets plenty of love around these parts, but lawks a fucking lordy he's knocked out one of his best ones out yet with his new single Running:

https://youtu.be/UGiQ_-Ktpvc

New album 2020 out October, cannit wait.

SteveDave

Cuellar

His lyrics do seem to be getting more Mark Kozelek-like

Like the song though.

Captain Z

First Elon Musk releases a rap single and now the famous atheist releases a fitness record.

Beagle 2

Belter. He's a bit "always different, always the same" is old Rich.

selectivememory

Love it. He's become one of my faves in the last year or so. Absolutely incredible songwriter.

selectivememory

Had a couple of listens to this album now and I'm quite impressed. If you've listened to "Jogging" and "Two Halves" you'll have a good idea of what to expect - it's full of beautifully-written and funny character studies of miserable people living in modern-day Britain. Musically it feels a bit more minimalist compared to Peasant, but I love his guitar playing and there's still loads of invention, and it is well-suited to the subject matter of the songs. "Civil Servant" is a great opener. Probably my favourite song at the moment.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: selectivememory on October 07, 2019, 02:40:18 PM
Musically it feels a bit more minimalist compared to Peasant, but I love his guitar playing and there's still loads of invention, and it is well-suited to the subject matter of the songs.

Well, there you go, I was thinking the exact opposite. To me it sounds anything but minimalist. Agreed on the rest, though. It is a fucking brilliant album. Absolutely sickeningly brilliant. I'd say it's his poppiest by far, probably the most immediately accessible thing he's done since away back in the Richard Dawson Sings Songs And Plays Guitar days. It's still knotty and unpredictable and inventive as you'd expect, mind, just a lot less abrasive than is often the case with him, a lot more approachable. Certainly it's fucking miles and miles away from the likes of Nothing Important. And funny as fuck, too. Not just lyrically, either. The ridiculous big 1970s Prog-pop shapes that Black Triangle throws had me hooting all the way back from KFC this afternoon. Hooting and headbanging like fuck, like.

Brilliant. "The Queen's Head" might be my favourite track lyrically, but I've yet to decide on a favourite overall. I doubt I'll have one. The whole thing is just fucking awesome.

Cuellar

Very much enjoying this. Some lovely lyrical and musical phrases, nicely coupled: "I hadn't been working there very long/You were giving me a bollocking for pouring a Guinness wrong" from 'Heart Emoji' is a favourite.

Artie Fufkin

On my 3rd listen of this album now, after hearing a track played on Maconie's Freak Zone. Amazing stuff. Absolutely brilliant stuff. A touch of the Robert Wyatts about him, and his voice sounds like the guy from Everything Everything when he goes full on falsetto.
Such great song writing. I'll be checking his back catalogue out, have no doubts about that.

Phil_A

Yer man Dawson was in session on Riley's show last Thursday which should still be available. It was great except for when he tried finishing with an ill-advised cover of Eternal Flame which sounded like he'd only worked out the chords five minutes before.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Phil_A on October 15, 2019, 01:20:11 PM
Yer man Dawson was in session on Riley's show last Thursday which should still be available. It was great except for when he tried finishing with an ill-advised cover of Eternal Flame which sounded like he'd only worked out the chords five minutes before.
fanx

Dusty Substance

Quote from: SteveDave on August 05, 2019, 03:01:27 PM
He's just making that up as he goes along.

Several Facebook friends have been raving about "Jogging" over the last few days so I've checked out the song on You Tube and that was my immediate thought - It sounds like a song from Whose Line Is It Anyway.

The song might be a grower but I really don't get the high praise it's been getting. His singing voice isn't exactly pleasant to listen to either.

EDIT: I like the robotic voice saying "Jogging" in the chorus.

Bennett Brauer

I like him very much but him being a noisy drinker at the start of the video is a step back for me.

Artie Fufkin

He sounds like what Genesis would have been like if they were from a shitty Brexit town, rather than the posh boys that they were

SteveDave

Quote from: Dusty Substance on October 21, 2019, 12:01:48 AM
Several Facebook friends have been raving about "Jogging" over the last few days so I've checked out the song on You Tube and that was my immediate thought - It sounds like a song from Whose Line Is It Anyway.

The song might be a grower but I really don't get the high praise it's been getting. His singing voice isn't exactly pleasant to listen to either.

EDIT: I like the robotic voice saying "Jogging" in the chorus.

I'm glad I'm not alone.

non capisco

The bit in 'The Queen's Head' where the owners get back to their flooded pub and find neighbours that they've never spoken to mucking in and trying to save it got me quite emotional. And, yeah, 'Jogging' has my favourite chorus melody of the year, I think.

Artie Fufkin

You were giving me a bollocking, for pouring a Guinness wrong - always makes me smile

edit : Oh, I see Cuellar has already pointed this out

alan nagsworth

This is fuckin great, a welcome dollop of great British disdain wrapped up exquisitely in warm, off kilter jazzy arrangements. He's a very strong and formidable talent. A lot of his semi abstract delivery reminds me of Andy Falkous except Andy's the one with the more straightforward song arrangements ad more strange absurdist lyrics. But it's a similar vibe.