Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:55:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Centrism's answer to the Tooting Popular Front - The further adventures of TIGFC

Started by Fambo Number Mive, August 07, 2019, 11:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Join for "just" £60 a year: https://twitter.com/SolHughesWriter/status/1158666595704721408

£60 a year to join a party with one policy. That's more than any of the big three parties or the Greens (and all these parties offer cheaper options as well).

QuoteFor a fee of £5 a month, members are offered the opportunity to be part of the party's policymaking process, as well as invitations to members-only events and regular newsletters.

They are required to sign up to a statement of values, which includes pursuing policies that are "evidence-based, not led by ideology" and that are not "locked in the old party political interests of the 20th century".

The statement of values does not mention Brexit, but calls for "strong alliances with our closest European and international allies on trade, regulation, defence, security and counterterrorism".

It commits the new party to a "mixed social-market economy", "collective provision of public services", the reduction of inequality through the extension of opportunity, urgent action on climate change and a defence policy which does "whatever it takes to safeguard Britain's national security"...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/conservative-labour-party-independent-group-change-anna-soubry-mps-a9041151.html

Cuellar

Is there any way of finding out how many members they actually have?

Cuellar

Jesus christ just trying to find out anything about them has reminded me how utterly ungoogleable their stupid name is. Utterly utterly witless.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteThey are required to sign up to a statement of values, which includes pursuing policies that are "evidence-based, not led by ideology"

Isn't this internally contradictory?

Ferris

Will there be nandos discounts with membership? Otherwise I'm not interested

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 07, 2019, 12:50:54 PM
Isn't this internally contradictory?
Like most things centrists claim to eschew, they've just replaced it by a crap, ill-defined version that offers no accountability.

imitationleather

Everything they do can be translated as them stamping their feet and screaming "Give us back the Labour party! It was ours and you took it!"

Fambo Number Mive

The Independents' twitter feed mainly seems to be retweeting comments from the MPs who are in the band: https://twitter.com/IndTogether

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 07, 2019, 02:07:21 PM
Like most things centrists claim to eschew, they've just replaced it by a crap, ill-defined version that offers no accountability.

During the CHUK high point my brother was able to state with clarity that they stood for 'more my kind of thing' despite them having virtually no agreed policies, in fact he disagreed with their one about restoring national service.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 07, 2019, 03:33:31 PM
During the CHUK high point my brother was able to state with clarity that they stood for 'more my kind of thing' despite them having virtually no agreed policies, in fact he disagreed with their one about restoring national service.

Yes, most discussions I've had with centrists has resulted in them being able to vaguely define at a high level what centrism is ('strong economy through capitalism, but also fairer') combined with a long list of what centrism isn't, which is basically a long list othering any unpopular policy since the dawn of thatcherism.

Twit 2

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 07, 2019, 03:33:31 PM

I trust you Hitler'd him?

Neville Chamberlain

The CHUK high point was over before you could say "more my kind of thing".

José

my kind of thing is lying under a glass coffee table and masturbating as an overweight middle-aged community psychiatric nurse defecates onto the glass above me. so the tingers have my vote.

phantom_power

It's like they are the grown-ups in the room. The sensible voice in today's political landscape. A breath of fresh air. Finally we have a choice other than Tory bastards and Lefty commie anti-semites who worship Corbyn and hate sensible, grown up, polite people who just want to find common ground in this polarised extreme political world. Policies? That is the old world granddad. It is time for a new sort of politics with vague affirmative statements and lots of saying what you aren't rather than what you are. Definitely anti-Brexit though, unless that would help get Corbyn in, obv.

idunnosomename

Soubry had a bit of a follow-about interview today on BBC Radio 4 World at One (after libertarian nutjob Clare Fox yday) and god she sounds so ashen. let down after her bff chuka the fucker left her for the lib dems. to that I say hahahahha.

Somehow it proves she's somehow more human than Umuna, though. Which is perhaps a surprise.

Ferris

Ahhh Chukka convening this whole thing, doing a smarmy photo shoot at Nandos, then fucking off on the lib dem lifeboat (without calling Anna) is just the best.

Sebastian Cobb

I'd love to see him crash and burn but he's too milquetoast; he just bobs up and down occasionally.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The whole idea of a centrists grassroots hahaha no couldn't finish this

king_tubby

Wollaston has joined the Lib Dems. Christ, they'll take any old shite, won't they?

QuoteIn March 2019 it emerged that Wollaston had supported a 2011 bill which required MPs who switch parties to face an automatic by-election.[74] Wollaston herself switched parties on 20 February 2019, yet refused to let voters have a say on her switch.

QuoteWhen campaigning for re-election at the 2017 General Election, Wollaston promised her constituents, at a hustings, that she would "accept the result" of the 2016 EU Referendum, noting that 54% of her constituents had voted to Leave. She went on to state that "one of the things that annoys people is telling them that they didn't know what they were voting for", rejecting the idea of holding a second referendum

bigfatheart

Since I was young
I followed them
TIGFC
The centrist shitshow for me

NAA NAA NAA NAAAAAAA

king_tubby

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1163087284289384448

Quote'Change UK' now polling at 0%
The breakaway party launched as The Independent Group in a blaze of publicity six months ago now has "zero support", a survey has found.

idunnosomename

bumped an older thread oh no. heres the text

lmao

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/change-uk-independent-group-zero-support-poll-soubry-a9064186.html

stupid video probably will play so just read this

QuoteThe breakaway party launched as The Independent Group in a blaze of publicity six months ago now has "zero support", a survey has found.

The ambitious bid to remake British politics – now called The Independent Group for Change, after two chaotic name changes and a bitter split – fails to register in a poll of general election voting intentions.

At 0 per cent, it is even below Ukip, which has been all but destroyed by multiple, scandal-hit leadership changes and the rise of the rival Brexit Party led by Nigel Farage, yet manages 1 per cent.

There is pressure on the party's five remaining MPs to throw in the towel after two of their former colleagues – Chuka Umunna and Sarah Wollaston – joined the Liberal Democrats.

But a defiant Anna Soubry, The Independent Group for Change's leader, insisted it remained vital, as the Brexit crisis deepens, saying: "We will carry on."

The poll, by BMG Research for The Independent found the Conservatives have a six-point leader over Labour, in line with other surveys showing a small bounce for Boris Johnson.

However, at 31 per cent – and with the Brexit Party on 12 per cent as a rival for anti-EU votes – Mr Johnson would be far from confident of winning if he calls a snap general election. The Liberal Democrats are on 19 per cent.

The "zero support" for The Independent Group for Change will revive memories of Paddy Ashdown's comment that Liberal support was "an asterisk" when he took over in 1989.

In fact, its plight is far worse, because the Social and Liberal Democrats, as the party was then called, was actually standing at between 4 and 5 per cent in polls that year.

Ms Soubry's party was rocked the embarrassment of being forced to change its name, just weeks after the painful split that saw Mr Umunna, then-leader Heidi Allen and four other MPs walk out in June.

Having been briefly called Change UK, it had to ditch the name under threat of legal action from the campaign organisation Change.org.

In recent weeks, it has been ignored in talks of a cross-party "Remain alliance" to thwart Brexit, and by Jeremy Corbyn when he sought backing to become a caretaker prime minister.

Nevertheless, Ms Soubry, a former Conservative MP, struck a defiant tone, telling The Independent: "We will carry on, we have fixed some of our problems that we had and are on a much firmer footing.

"We are recruiting members and we are the people, looking at the alternatives, who combine the Labour Social Democratic and One Nation Conservative traditions."

Ms Soubry said her hopes for the party "may take longer than we hoped", but insisted: "I don't think I'm being over-optimistic. We have five MPs, but literally every vote counts now and we are now very strong, because the five are as one."

anyway I hope soubry is ousted in a GE soon and spends the rest of her pathetic life in a ditch sucking on woodlice for sustenance

Paul Calf

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 18, 2019, 10:04:16 PM
bumped an older thread oh no. heres the text

lmao

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/change-uk-independent-group-zero-support-poll-soubry-a9064186.html

stupid video probably will play so just read this

anyway I hope soubry is ousted in a GE soon and spends the rest of her pathetic life in a ditch sucking on woodlice for sustenance

I hope she's forced to move to Derby.

I've crossed a line haven't I?

Funcrusher

If this country ends up crashing out with no deal with the ensuing possibly decades long negative effects just because these cunts want to cling on to their seats for a little longer that will be really shit.

Ferris