Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:13:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What's good on Fourble (site archiving podcasts and radio shows)?

Started by sponk, August 07, 2019, 05:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sponk

https://fourble.co.uk/podcasts

There are lots of old ass fuck radio dramas, comedies and quiz shows on this site that I'm sure will act as a fascinating time capsule of a bygone era, or be boring and hammy as fuck. I don't have the patience to listen and decide for myself, so please tell me what shows here are worth listening to? 

Ray Travez

Just had a listen to the Unbelievable Truth, wasn't on there last time I checked. Always good value.

I find Heresy with Victoria Coren quite fun, but avoid the episodes with Germaine Greer, because they've got Germaine Greer on them.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Ray Travez on August 07, 2019, 09:10:07 PM
Just had a listen to the Unbelievable Truth, wasn't on there last time I checked. Always good value.

I find Heresy with Victoria Coren quite fun, but avoid the episodes with Germaine Greer, because they've got Germaine Greer on them.

That is nostalgic. I haven't heard someone expressing distaste for Greer since about 99.

Ah woah, as the Funkypigeon.com pigeon would exclaim "coooo-hool". Will definitely be trawling through this, always wanted to properly listen to Rawlinson End.

Ray Travez

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 07, 2019, 09:16:33 PM
That is nostalgic. I haven't heard someone expressing distaste for Greer since about 99.

Just me & Jon Ronson then, going for the retro vibe

McChesney Duntz

touchingcloth

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on August 07, 2019, 10:14:33 PM
Listen to Alexei Sayle's Imaginary Sandwich Bar.

Whenever I listened to that at the end I used to spread an arm wide with a palm upturned and say "...and have an imaginary sandwich on me, sir. Goodnight."

thenoise

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 07, 2019, 09:16:33 PM
She occasionally baits modern feminist types by saying something loathesome about transsexuals on radio 4. Mostly she is a loveable Mumsy type with her cosy reactionary opinions and has been for years.

Captain Crunch

The Mark Steel Solution has aged really well and People Like Us is superb. 

touchingcloth

Quote from: godber on August 08, 2019, 11:54:44 AM
Down the line is very consistently funny.

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 30, 2013, 05:52:26 PM
Starts at around 6:50.

QuoteSay if a lion right come outside my yard...say fe am in my yard and I've got a lickle bit of roast duck or roast pig or whatever in there, I got all my mans in there right, I got all my mans and all my people and we biggin up ourselves cos our pocket is nice and we just chillin - you understand, right? And then a lion come outside and says "rude bwoy! gwan wagwan - Early D ave a nice roast suckling pig in there and everythin", and the lion jump over the fence and come try and eat up my suckling pig...me ave fe dash the lion out, dread! Me ave fe kill it! Because that lion never had to put its hand in its pocket to put some money on my table to help me buy my suckling pig.

Enzo

chveik

sponk

Did a control + f and there is one show from the 1920's and about 30+ each from the 30's and 40's. There's a little collection of news pieces from 1930-37 including a show called America's Town Hall Meeting of the Air which is a bit like Any Questions on Radio 4. Peter Cook's calls to Lbc are there too. Never listened to them

studpuppet

Complete Smiley is on there.
Also the Martin Beck Stories, Jeremy Hardy Speaks To The Nation, Hamish & Dougal, Harry Hill's Fruit Corner, Talking Heads, 15 Storeys High (& 15 Minutes Of Misery), Sir Henry At Rawlinson End, Sven From Swiss Cottage.

dr_christian_troy

It's bloody good isn't it? Granted they are using the term "podcasts" for radio shows as a front to get away with uploading all of the content, but in that respect I would say grab what you can before it's clocked on a grander level.

the

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on August 23, 2019, 12:39:31 PMIt's bloody good isn't it? Granted they are using the term "podcasts" for radio shows as a front to get away with uploading all of the content, but in that respect I would say grab what you can before it's clocked on a grander level.

Some stuff has been removed over time - eg. they used to have loads of Chain Reaction but now only series 12. I've investigated the old hyperlinks via archive.org and those mp3s have definitely been deleted:

Jittlebags

Download the fuckers as they become available. There's a recently added section to help

Ferris

What a great little service.

Sponk - many thanks for making me aware of this!

the

If you haven't heard it before, get Room 101. I've waxed lyrical about the radio incarnation before (mainly in this thread):

Quote from: the on July 24, 2018, 12:29:50 PM
The original radio Room 101 was incredible, probably my favourite radio show of all time.

No audience, just Nick Hancock in a room with a (funny) guest, dissecting and arguing over bad records and 70s tat. As a perceptive, witty and cynical study of pop culture it's unparalleled.

Quote from: the on July 26, 2018, 12:05:24 PMIn its initial radio incarnation, it was more of a study of the pop culture obsessions and painful experiences of funny, interesting people.

Quote from: the on September 24, 2018, 12:01:27 AM
Looks like the same set I've got, with the last few minutes of Arthur Smith missing. We may never know what his final choice was.

In a couple of places there are also blips where something else cuts in on the tape. I think there's an interruption from Porridge during the Maria McErlane one.

There are so many good episodes, but I think the absolute cream of the crop for me would be:

Trevor & Simon
Rory McGrath
Tony Slattery
Stephen Frost
Donna McPhail
Andy Hamilton
Mark Lamarr
Tony Hawks
Maria McErlane
Kevin Day
Chris England

I think the weakest episodes are Caroline Quentin and David Baddiel, but there's something to love in all of them I think.

The best facet of radio Room 101 was something it lost upon transition to TV, which was the intense study of insipid or dubious song lyrics, and deflating the unconvincing musical pretensions of the 70s and 80s.

There was a theory that there were unbroadcast episodes from the final series, due to there only being 4 episodes in s4, the last of which went out 2 days before the close of Radio 5. Would be amazing if true, sadly I think it's more likely that it was a deliberately short run. The TV series began 3 months later, so it's plausible that they had shifted the production effort over to that.

Ferris

This is a terrific resource - I've just noticed you can subscribe via RSS feed through your podcast app, so they actually turn up and download in the app like regular podcasts.

I've never listened to Blue Jam, now I can do it on the way to work. Sorted!

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 27, 2019, 04:13:09 AM
I've never listened to Blue Jam, now I can do it on the way to work. Sorted!

Nah nah nah, you've got to listen to Blue Jam at midnight in a dark room with a highball in hand. Don't waste it in the car.

kidsick5000

Quote from: sponk on August 23, 2019, 12:24:37 PM
Almost 700 clips from the Phil Hendrie show.

https://fourble.co.uk/podcast/philhendrieshow2000

Oh my.
I'll have to try and go through them to see if Straight Arrow Ministries is on there.

sponk

A few of Danny Baker's shows have recently been uploaded. Is it possible to download multiple files in once click? There's lots of stuff I want but I don't want to have to click on every link twice!

Johnboy

Thought I'd bump this

Going through the list here it's quite overwhelming.

Can anyone recommend any of its dramatisations/audiobooks?

Ferris

How bizarre! I was just recommending this site to a friend this morning.

I recommended: Hitchhikers guide, Adam and Joe, the BBC radio version of lord of the rings, Bob Dylan's theme time radio hour, under milkwood, Tim key's late night poetry show, lots of Lee and herring radio stuff is on there as well (well Lionel Nimrod is, not sure about all of it).

There are a lot of BBC radio productions on there, I bet there are some banging audiobooks floating about.