Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:02:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stath Lets Flats [Series 2]

Started by fatuse, August 08, 2019, 10:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatuse

Only two weeks until new series of Stath Lets Flats. Can't wait. Am biased because I (kinda) worked on it, but I thought SLF series 1 was better than new Partridge. Thoughts?

Utter Shit

Delighted to hear it got a second series, I loved the first. The entire show pretty much hinges on whether you like the main character, who IIRC was quite divisive, but I thought Jamie Demetriou played him brilliantly. Wouldn't say it was better than the new Partridge though.

SteveDave

I did really like the first series. Some lovely stupidity in there.

I also frequently call things filthy mysteries or proclaim "Oh my crumbs!"

Utter Shit

I had "'Ave a word ref, 'ave a word" stuck in my head weeks after the football episode.

The football match and Stath drinking all that bottled water after the one night stand were howlingly funny.

Looking forward to the next series.

fatuse

Quote from: Utter Shit on August 08, 2019, 11:00:23 AM
Delighted to hear it got a second series, I loved the first. The entire show pretty much hinges on whether you like the main character, who IIRC was quite divisive, but I thought Jamie Demetriou played him brilliantly. Wouldn't say it was better than the new Partridge though.

I just thought the writing of Stath was fresher; whereas i kinda felt I seen a lot of partridge before (in mid morning matters). But as I say, I'm biased, having working on the first series. Also, side-note: have played footie with Jamie a number of times - he's plays far better than his character does ;)

ajsmith2

I particularly love the peculiarly good natured stupidity of his sister. In particular the line 'theres 300 trees, there's 300 grass' really stuck with me. So uniquely daft.

Shaky

Quote from: fatuse on August 08, 2019, 10:57:47 AM
I thought SLF series 1 was better than new Partridge. Thoughts?

No. NO. No? No.

Bad Ambassador

The endless references to the big dance routine she's rehearsing, and the eventual reveal that it's infinitely more shit than you could possibly imagine.

Captain Z

Oohhh it's niiice! Great news, I loved the first series and only recently rewatched it. I did wonder the first time if Stath was going to be too annoying and one-note for me to enjoy a whole series of it, but there was just enough development of his character plus very strong performances from the rest of the cast. Al getting surprised by the automatic doors was a fantastic piece of physical comedy, I laugh to myself just remembering that.

mrpupkin

I liked Series 1 a lot to start with but felt it overall lent too heavily on the questionable comedic device of the two siblings being mentally subnormal. The sister in particular was a fairly convincing portrayal of someone with a learning disability, to the extent that I sometimes felt uneasy about what I was being invited to laugh at. Oversensitive and humourless of me? Probably. I did find the Al character very funny, having said that.

Virgo76

I wasn't a huge fan but I wish it well. The Demetrious are clearly major talents in the making.

Incidentally, what's with the rubbish sponsored comedy bits you get at the start of many programmes currently? Natalie D is brilliant but even she's rubbish on those.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Virgo76 on August 09, 2019, 07:25:25 AM

Incidentally, what's with the rubbish sponsored comedy bits you get at the start of many programmes currently? Natalie D is brilliant but even she's rubbish on those.

They're so bad I'm wondering if the 'disses' used are intentionally piss weak as part of some joke I'm not quite getting. A parody rap battle where you get points for using the lamest disses possible perhaps? Prob giving it too much credit but it's so awful and involves otherwise talented people so I do wonder.

I too thought they must be spoofs as the jokes are so feeble and the delivery is off, but now I think they've just had all the air and energy sucked out of them in the process of making the ad.

C_Larence

Series 1 is one of the most quotable comedies in recent times to my mind. Stath getting a pigeon out of a tenant's loft will never not be funny.
"What have you heard about it? Is it quite nice and slow, or a bit fast and ridiculous?"

Mobius

Just watched series 1 off the back of this thread and loved it. Really funny throughout.

Captain Z

Quote from: C_Larence on August 10, 2019, 11:40:24 PM
Series 1 is one of the most quotable comedies in recent times to my mind. Stath getting a pigeon out of a tenant's loft will never not be funny.
"What have you heard about it? Is it quite nice and slow, or a bit fast and ridiculous?"

"So what, I go up and I give it a quick push, and it's gonna walk down the ladder?"

Also from the same episode after Sophie and Al have been walking around for ages looking for a hospital:

Sophie: Do you know where we are by the way - what is this area?
Al: Well, the office is just over there, so... I wasn't sure why we were waiting here.

undeliberated

It's fine, isn't it, but completely dispensable. No real worldview to it. Still a better watch than most other new UK comedy I've seen recently: hope the second series becomes actively good, rather than just good-by-comparison.

Hat FM

i thought it walked the line of oddball sitcom in a prime time slot very well. not sure how long it can go on though. Wonder if Natasia is getting more work after what we do in the shadows.

kyema

Also just watched series 1 off the back of this thread (thanks!). Found the main characters really likable and it had me laughing out loud lots.

Utter Shit

imitationleather

Continuity announcer was talking it up so much it put me in a bad mood.

"Funniest sitcom character ever"?! Oh come on.

"This amazing sitcom will get you laughing"?!?!? I'm already watching just shut up.

Him throwing the keys did tickle me.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I do not find this comedy series to be the least bit funny, and all the characters charmless. Sorry

Bad Ambassador

"There's champagne on ice,
There's cigarettes on ice,
There's Dancing on Ice..."

I had to pause it there until I stopped laughing.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on August 19, 2019, 10:32:02 PM
"There's champagne on ice,
There's cigarettes on ice,
There's Dancing on Ice..."

I had to pause it there until I stopped laughing.
Ok, that bit was actually quite amusing, I'll give you that. Rest of it really not good at all.

Mobius

Feel sorry for the op who created this show now.

José

i cant bring myself to watch a sitcom about letting agents because i hate them with a burning passion. had the same problem with "phoneshop" and "heil honey i'm home". come to think of it if hitler hadn't been a painter he'd likely have been a letting agent, phone shop guy or maybe even something worse.

Captain Z

Just the mention of Phoneshop makes me want to ramble on about how brilliant I thought that was. Favourite sitcom of this decade. I'd been making the comparison with SLF in my head but tonight's episode was a bit flat and I'm not quite sure any of the characters are going to have the same depth as some of those in Phoneshop. The key throwing did make me laugh out loud but it felt a bit like retreading the pigeon scene in S1E1.

Utter Shit

Yeah Phoneshop was fantastic and felt like it could have gone on much longer.

j_u_d_a_s

Just watched the first episode and yeah this is exceptionally thin stuff. Amazed it even got a second series tbh.

Stath has always been a total non-character, in any other sitcom he'd be the idiot character who'd be good for a few gags and a side plot but as the lead of his own show it just doesn't work. We know that he wants to be the manager of M&E but we never really feel why other than him being the owner's son. Stath is a big child in the way he talks and acts, which makes Carole having a one night stand with him more than a bit dodgy, he's not really that interesting to watch.

The world this show inhabits is so poorly thought out too, someone said that both Stath and Sophie appear to be mentally sub normal. If the tone of this show was whacky hijinks ala Father Ted then they could work, as it is this show is really mean spirited towards them. Even at the end of this episode, Stath's own dad, who must know his son isn't really bright tells him not to try anything at all. Not to mention that Stath and Sophie still share a room despite both being in their 20s.

As for the other characters, Al and Sophie's will they won't they thing just seems unnecessarily tacked on because it worked in The Office, even going for the big emotional moment in the last episode of the 1st series. But now Al's long distance relationship has just been extinguished. At least in the Office we saw some of Dawn's boyfriend instead of some contrived scene where Al's japanese girlfriend just appears to confront Sophie about her feelings for him and that's that.

This is me being really nitpicky but the moment when we see Stath's dad being taught how to print his name on a computer really didn't ring true for me. He's been the owner of a letting agency for what I'd imagine is a fairly long time. Yes you can say that he's meant to be an idiot manager as well but it doesn't show in his character and really just shows up the lack of thinking behind anything here.

Even in this interview from the observer, he admits that there isn't really much behind the character or a point of view to this show. In the midst of a housing crisis, rising rents etc. there's a lot to be said about the pushy salesman nature of a letting agent but it's never brought up in this show.

Beyond all of that, this first episode just drags. So much padding, even the comedy promo vid goes on for far longer than it should. Zero stakes, Stath makes a rubbish video and his dad slags him off. The end. Carole announcing she's pregnant like it's no deal but then right at the last moment, it's suddenly the biggest thing. Now Stath wants a family? What?!!?

Always get the feeling that Channel 4 really expected this to be a hit and pushed all the marketing behind it, except Derry Girls became the biggest show they've had in decades (and no surprise, it's far superior in every way and actually has jokes instead of awkward lines). Again, don't know why they're persisting with this (and Dead Pixels which is another underwritten show).