Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:19:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stath Lets Flats [Series 2]

Started by fatuse, August 08, 2019, 10:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

That was great, right up to the really weird bit with the guy from the house that went on fire. Was that whole thing just for the punchline of Stath saying something inappropriate at the end?

The house viewing where he kept falling asleep had me in pain laughing.

C_Larence

Liked the first half a lot, but just didn't find it as funny after the ad break. At least the people calling for more mentions of real world issues with the housing market should be happy!

shh

Quote from: j_u_d_a_s on August 20, 2019, 01:35:52 PM
Not to mention that Stath and Sophie still share a room despite both being in their 20s.

I heard an interview with yer man from This Country, he described sharing a room (and a bed?) with the sister after uni.

Maybe the brother/sister relationship in Stath is a bit cloying but I think it works for the programme it is. Stath has a charmingly surreal idiolect. Describing a pigeon eviction as 'quick and ridiculous' had me laughing anyway.

Mobius

Yeah the way he talks makes me laugh every time. It's not the height of comedy genius but fuck me it's silly.

rasta-spouse

Shame they made him Brent it at the end of this episode.

Bad Ambassador

rasta-spouse

It seemed forced and out of character (not that I know the charac that well). Offends someone then either he leaves, or they leave. And there's a lingering sense of shame. Total Brentage.

Captain Z

Latest episode was absolute chaos but I think my favourite so far.

Custard

Hello, another one here who's discovered this show through this thread! Thanking you

Pounded through all available episodes, and I really love it. Daft, warm-hearted, occasionally a bit bleak, enjoyable characters, and stuffed with funny memorable lines. So good

I love the whole Greek English/cockney as a comedy troupe. It's always made me laugh from back when I first saw Stavros. There's just something about the turns of phrase and the muddled English, almost a bit Chris Morris. Whitehouses' character in Help was another one. "Hounslow".

c

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 15, 2019, 01:13:52 PM
Hello, another one here who's discovered this show through this thread! Thanking you

Pounded through all available episodes, and I really love it. Daft, warm-hearted, occasionally a bit bleak, enjoyable characters, and stuffed with funny memorable lines. So good

Me too. Loving it, thanks all. My first binge in ages. Don't really agree on the Brentage. All cringe doesn't equal Brent. He wasn't an accidental bigot in that scene. Most of the people Brent was accidentally winding up in The Office (aside from, most obviously, Gareth) were essentially decent people, but the people Stath was annoying were awful. Sath's comedy universe also feels a step or two less realistic than Brent's. Brent was a grotesque surrounded by people who played as ordinary, whereas Stath is a grotesque surrounded by other grotesques. For me, all this means the laughs in the scene were more belly, less cringe.

I find it incredibly funny when Stath's showing people around properties but mostly mildly funny at most other times. Not really enjoying Sophie - 'she's bad at singing and dancing' - but I love Carole. I've worked with many Caroles. She's brilliantly written and performed. Enjoyed her memory of her once kicking her little brother in the head 'and now he's always tired'

Cuellar

I think he's a fine physical comedian. When Sofia was pranking him and he keeps spilling his energy drink.

Just watching an episode now - Al: "What does that say? 'Urban Christ'. Powerful thought"

Captain Z

I spent far too long imagining the sequence of events that must have taken place between Al hanging up the phone, already part-way home on the Megabus, and arriving back in London to be the fifth person on a double-date.

ajsmith2

They were all maybe a bit too stupid in the pizza parlour scenes in the new one. Still loved it though.

SteveDave

I've watched episodes of 3 to 5 of this series yesterday and was laughing til I coughed at some of it.

I now want a t-shirt that says

MICHAEL
MICHAEL
MICHAEL

Custard

Yeah, that last episode was great. Loads of lovely little moments, and Al raving was a great ending shot

I love how it was such a special occasion that they were going out for a pizza, and their giddy excitement at going. Just daft sitcom silliness. Love this show

SteveDave

A bit of a nothing ending episode but I was excited to see that the place the estate agents awards ceremony was a minutes walk from where I work in glamorous Colindale.

steveh

Thought this improved a lot in the second series. For me the show works better in the dafter episodes, like the sign burning one, rather than those that focus more on the characters. Their strangeness seems fine when the whole setup is silly but if it's closer to real life then you're forced to confront quite how strange - damaged even - they really are.

Bad Ambassador

I thought the final episode was a very strong ending to what has been an excellent series. Stath's final line was a corker.

Hat FM

maybe my favourite sitcom this year. makes me laugh out loud a few times every episode which doesn't happen much normally.

lazyhour

Yet another fella here who watched this all in one go at least partially thanks to this thread.

Am I alone in thinking there's a subtle thing going on whereby his sister is a bit of an unwitting musical genius? The tunes she comes out with, if recorded properly, sound like they'd actually be great, catchy pop songs. I have a feeling it's deliberate

Either that or I've gone mental.

Has the YouTube short starring yer man from this been mentioned yet? I forget what it's called but it's about a man whose food keeps moving away from him. I loved it.

Bobby Ralgex

<<Stath Lats Flats>>

Smash potato jingle ads back inth'eighties.

SteveDave

I rewatched episode 3 with my wife last night and I'd forgotten how funny him trying to get out of the car with his seat belt still on was.

c

Quote from: lazyhour on September 27, 2019, 08:59:44 AM
Here's that thing

https://youtu.be/bCub1-7ji1U

That. Is superb. Big fan of Stath but it's kind of a surreal stupider The Office. This here short, however, seems to me like the work of an original and compelling comic mind. I love the feeling that he's just taken quite a slight idea and decided to run with it and keep on going and then keep on some more

The Lion King

Short comedy horror film for fans of Jamie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEypN0C9Ni8

'Calling me captain, like she's a soldier! Love that, love that'

I do quite like Stath lets flats but only really enjoy the parts where he is showing people properties. The rest is a bit full on for me. He's done lots of shorts that play more to his strengths as a performer

SteveDave

My wife sold Jamie Demitriou a shirt yesterday in the vintage shop she works in and he said there probably won't be another series. He might've been saying that to throw her off the scent though.

ajsmith2

Quote from: SteveDave on October 14, 2019, 04:05:28 PM
My wife sold Jamie Demitriou a shirt yesterday in the vintage shop she works in and he said there probably won't be another series. He might've been saying that to throw her off the scent though.

Whaat? That'd be a bit shite what with the cliffhanger ending of the last series.

Hat FM

Quote from: ajsmith2 on October 14, 2019, 04:39:47 PM
Whaat? That'd be a bit shite what with the cliffhanger ending of the last series.

cliffhanger? i don't think he hung on did he?