Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,209
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:28:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Devvo actor fired from teaching job due to being outed as Devvo

Started by Misspent Boners, August 08, 2019, 12:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hmm. I can't help but think this is a bit harsh.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9676850/teacher-sacked-foul-mouthed-youtube-rapper-mc-devvo/

Christian is a superb actor and I'm sure a superb primary teacher. He hasn't commited any crimes and this must constitute as unfair dismissal surely.

On the bright side maybe he'd have no choice but to devote himself to more acting and comedy, always thought it was a shame that him and Firth didn't  become bigger names and that Devvo wasn't a stepping stone to greater things

Twit 2

The guidelines for what is acceptable behaviour out of school are fairly clear and I don't think it's actually unfair dismissal. If he'd been in charge of the entire education system and it turned out he used to do illegal class A drugs he'd have been fine.

Blue Jam

Got a non-Sun link please?

This does seem a bit weird, especially as the last time I went looking for Devvo stuff I found a lot of it seemed to have disappeared from David Firth's site.

Incidentally, does the artist formerly known as Kunt And The Gang still have a job, and how?

BlodwynPig

QuoteOne parent said: "Everyone said he was brilliant but you wouldn't want Ali G as your kid's teacher."

imitationleather

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 08, 2019, 12:15:11 PM

Incidentally, does the artist formerly known as Kunt And The Gang still have a job, and how?

Now writer of the childrens' book series Bumface Poohands. Dunno if it pays the bills though.

BritishHobo

Shame to hear this. As Waller FM shows, and I've fucking bighed it up on here enough times, you bloody should have listened, he really is a fucking good and versatile comedic actor. The pair of them in that podcast do some of the funniest inprov/character stuff I've ever heard. It's a crime it's not bigger (although I'd probably hate if it was, like the awful hipster bastard I am).

It does seem unfair. I get why they may flinch at some of the lyrics, but it's obviously a comedy character, from ages ago, and it has no bearing on his ability to teach. He was acting. No different to the kid from The Shining teaching. I mean, we were all watching Devvo and Burnt Face Man in year 7 when it was all coming out, and that was when most mobile phones could only play shit MIDI versions of songs, or stretch to a fuzzy, low-quality Angry Kid video your mate sent you. I'm sure high school kids today have seen much worse. I remember being annoyed about a similar story a while back, about a female teacher who had appeared, YEARS earlier, in an advert that had a sexual tone to it. They're just actors. At the end of the day, if they're a good teacher, and they can still handle a class, I don't see why that should affect anything. Kids will always find reason to mock and undermine teachers - if there isn't anything, they'll just make shit up 

Then again I don't want to nobly assume anything on his behalf - the story says he didn't want to talk to The Sun about it which is fair enough, and not just because it's The Sun. Not sure you'd want it all dredging up in the press when public image is the reason it kicked off in the first place. But I hope he is able to crack on with things somewhere else.

sponk

Wait devvo is David Firth? Sodomize my trilby. I thought his cartoons on screen wipe were always terrible but I almost died laughing the first time I saw Devvo. He'll devvo (defo) (definitely) be singing on soon

Ferris

Devvo was a David Firth side project - Firth helped write the songs but this fella did the actual performances

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 08, 2019, 02:33:12 PM
Devvo was a David Firth side project - Firth helped write the songs but this fella did the actual performances

As is my understanding it would've been Firth who 'directed' and filmed those early videos too?

I remember going on some myspace rabbithole in my uni halls in 2006, ultimately finding concrete proof that Devvo was a fictional character played by Christian. Thought I was some kind of detective or something

Chollis

Africa Jamaica Indian and Brighton
Fuck you, I'm always fighting

Wet Blanket

Mad that he lost his job over this. I'd have though the fact he got a Channel 4 pilot out of it lends enough legitimacy to pardon any of the bad taste elements. How can anybody have any response on learning your kids' teacher once had a popular YouTube character other than 'oh, that's interesting'?

bgmnts

Devvo was a rapper? I remember him just being a mental chab who went around the park and the shop swearing at everyone saying "ya dickhead".

Blue Jam

Noodle Lizard

I wonder if the lads of the Kersal Massive are struggling in their careers.

Ferris

Blue Jam