Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:39:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nature'a tragic cruelty.

Started by bgmnts, August 08, 2019, 10:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

I found this clip aa few days ago and it was one of those nature clips where you just go "Noooooooo."

https://youtu.be/7wKu13wmHog

Now, i'm not a massive Attenborough bloke like everyone else is it seems but does he usually play these things for comedy? This definitely feels like it was shot and edited using almost film clichés to get a laugh. That is very weird.

Twit 2

QuoteNature'a tragic cruelty.

Quote from: Super MarioA film about wild animals: endless cruelty in every latitude. "Nature," a torturer of genius, steeped in herself and her work, exults with good reason: there is not a moment when what is alive fails to tremble, to make others tremble. Pity is a strange luxury only the most perfidious and the fiercest creature could invent, out of a need to punish and torture itself—out of ferocity, still.

ZoyzaSorris

Time's great purple mantis gets us all in the end. Great footage!

bgmnts

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on August 08, 2019, 10:44:52 PM
Time's great purple mantis gets us all in the end. Great footage!

I was just amazed how structured like a film it was though. A thrilling chase scene, the chaser seemingly running away due to the hardness of the thing its chasing, only to turn around and see something massive behind it. How many times have you seen that in films?

Is Attenborough a fraud?

Zetetic

Quote from: bgmnts on August 08, 2019, 11:52:38 PM
I was just amazed how structured like a film it was though. A thrilling chase scene, the chaser seemingly running away due to the hardness of the thing its chasing, only to turn around and see something massive behind it. How many times have you seen that in films?
Oh, loads. Loads of times. Loads. A lot of times.

They're probably all actors or CG.

Should have just thrown a camera into the world.

You're going to be really upset when you have a think about the sound.

Poobum

Another example that Kung fu just doesn't work in real world situations. It's no use knowing loads of moves if you don't understand the basics, such as keeping distance from the thing twenty times your size that wants to eat you. That spider was adorable though, I hope there's a follow up of it and it's antics, such as building webs, drinking the liquified insides of a fly, shedding it's carapace, negotiating the sexual politics of spider relationships and scurrying leggily about the place. I like watching thinks that I relate to, I must relate, and that spider is it.

ZoyzaSorris

Of course these things are edited to shit. Surprise surprise most documentaries aren't just a camera and sound recording running and rplayed with no intervention. Still great though.

Jittlebags

On Thursday, I was driving about the Northern Dales. Up from Kilhhope to Allendales. Driving uphill I noticed a movement to the right and said 'Oooh a weasel'. I braked and looked again, and it was a dead rabbit. Except it wasn't dead, it was twitching. Aha, I thought. I parked the car on the verge, wandered down the road a bit, sat quietely on the limestone wall and waited.

Sure enough, a long ginger animal emerged from a hole in the wall, then scuttled back in as some cars came by, just avoiding the only just alive rabbit. Then, quick as a flash it came out of the hole tail held high and dragged the rabbit, which must have been 4 times it's size into the hole

José

i got a pair o' big sweaty mantids right here.

Lordofthefiles

Why don't they make nature shows about humans*? (The last ones I can recall were by Desmond Morris in the 80's).

Are we that terrified to hold a mirror up to our own beastly behaviour?

*Big Brother doesn't count, it could have done, but it was taken in a cartoony direction.
Instead.