Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:00:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Why did so many early 00s "indie rock" bands...

Started by garbed_attic, August 09, 2019, 12:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boki

Quote from: imitationleather on September 12, 2019, 10:10:54 PM
Well sucks to be them I guess* because The Futureheads smashed it.

*DISCLAIMER: It may not suck to be them.
Maybe they left early to do some sucking or get sucked.  Whilst you watched a band through the mist created by the sweaty balls of your fellow sausage partygoers.

Personally, I think you made the right choice.  You can have a suck orgy any damn time you like, really, seems uneconomical to do it when you've paid to see lads do music stuffs. 

Jockice

Quote from: imitationleather on September 12, 2019, 09:55:16 PM
I saw The Cribs support The Futureheads in 2004. After The Cribs finished loads of people I knew (from going to ropey indie clubs every weekend) fucked off and didn't stay to see the headliner!

Ah,but around the same time I saw The Futureheads support The Zutons but left before the headliners came on. The only time I've ever done that, because I thought You Will You Won't (the only song I'd heard by them at that point) was shit. Even Abi's legs couldn't make me stay. It was a protest that I hope they paid attention to.

And since another thread is about Supergrass, when they were at their biggest they did a tour supported by Add N To (X). I went to the local date on that tour and bumped into an old mate, who when the support band left the stage left the venue. He told me he just wasn't interested in Supergrass. Unlike me he didn't get free tickets so I presume he'd paid full price for half a concert. Now that is weird.

imitationleather

I've just remembered I am not innocent of this heinous crime. On the NME tour where Franz Ferdinand were the opening act I left just after the headliner came on. However, the headliner were Funeral For a Friend and so I think it's allowed. It was pretty funny because while the other acts were on (as well as Franz Ferdinand there was The Von Bondies and The Rapture) lots of moody looking teens with tights on their arms were sat on the stairs of the Brixton Academy very much not interested.

If I recall correctly, during the course of that tour Franz Ferdinand became absolutely massive and were far bigger than the other bands above them on the bill.

Captain Z

Quote from: imitationleather on September 13, 2019, 12:03:22 PM
there was The Von Bondies and The Rapture

Only booked because they'd run out of F's for the billboard.

Jockice

I've just remembered I am not innocent of this heinous crime. On the NME tour where Franz Ferdinand were the opening act I left just after the headliner came on. However, the headliner were Funeral For a Friend and so I think it's allowed. It was pretty funny because while the other acts were on (as well as Franz Ferdinand there was The Von Bondies and The Rapture) lots of moody looking teens with tights on their arms were sat on the stairs of the Brixton Academy very much not interested.

If I recall correctly, during the course of that tour Franz Ferdinand became absolutely massive and were far bigger than the other bands above them on the bill.

As mentioned above I went to every one of those tours until 2006. But at the 2008 one I went and sat in the bar while The Cribs were on because I wasn't feeling well. I like them but I was really feeling crap that evening. I definitely did see The Ting Tings but can't even remember whether I saw Joe Lean And The Jing Jang Jong and Does It Offend, You Yeah? If I did they left no impression on me at all.

I think either the following year or the one after that was the last one I went to. I was too old. And am even older now.

Jockice

I must have mentioned (as it is one of my favourite anecdotes) the time in the mid-80s my local university put on a free concert with probably the most ill-matched line-up of all time. First on were the Sisters Of Mercy, so the place was full of goths. Then Time UK (Rick Buckler's post Jam band) came on and the place was invaded by mods and casuals who started scrapping with the goths. Then the headliner came on. Matt Fretton, a sort of Aldi Howard Jones, wearing a white suit and with two girlie backing singers. And all the warring factions teamed up...to leave the venue. He played in front of probably about 20 people.

(This tale stopped being so funny after Fretton committed suicide about five years ago. But really, what were the gig organisers thinking? )

Famous Mortimer

I've just remembered I am not innocent of this heinous crime. On the NME tour where Franz Ferdinand were the opening act I left just after the headliner came on.
I saw the Hives and Refused a few months back, and ran into my mate Ben at the show. We enjoyed Refused's set a lot, then at the interval he went "I'm off, can't be bothered with the Hives". I'd have thought their fan crossover was pretty large, but perhaps not.

I remember in the early 2000s I started reading this magazine called NME and I found it strange that all the band's they fawned over and put on the cover all only had one album each.

Jockice

Quote from: thecuriousorange on September 13, 2019, 01:49:29 PM
I remember in the early 2000s I started reading this magazine called NME and I found it strange that all the band's they fawned over and put on the cover all only had one album each.

That's always been the case since I started reading it at the (very) end of the 70s.

imitationleather

Quote from: Jockice on September 13, 2019, 09:13:50 PM
That's always been the case since I started reading it at the (very) end of the 70s.

Yeah it's not Mojo.

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on September 13, 2019, 12:26:03 PM
I must have mentioned (as it is one of my favourite anecdotes) the time in the mid-80s my local university put on a free concert with probably the most ill-matched line-up of all time. First on were the Sisters Of Mercy, so the place was full of goths. Then Time UK (Rick Buckler's post Jam band) came on and the place was invaded by mods and casuals who started scrapping with the goths. Then the headliner came on. Matt Fretton, a sort of Aldi Howard Jones, wearing a white suit and with two girlie backing singers. And all the warring factions teamed up...to leave the venue. He played in front of probably about 20 people.

Just wondering what the post-gig party was like after that. Or maybe there wasn't one.

Dusty Substance

Futureheads' cover of Hounds Of Love actually makes me feel a bit sick.