Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,207
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:51:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Way Up (Aisling Bea/Sharon Horgan)

Started by Virgo76, August 09, 2019, 10:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgo76

Am surprised by the stuff that doesn't get a thread on here sometimes (unless I've missed it). What did people think?

BlodwynPig

I saw a clip on a C4 showreel but thought Sharon was Zooey Deschanel and this was a US comedy

Icehaven

Is this the one with the Forever 21 comment in the trailer? Might watch it at some point just because I liked Pulling and some of Catastrophe but it doesn't look amazing.

Norton Canes

Aisling Bea and Sharon Horgan together? I'm not sure I could keep my mind on the dialogue

zomgmouse

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 09, 2019, 01:35:43 PM
Aisling Bea and Sharon Horgan together? I'm not sure I could keep my mind on the dialogue

For fuck's sake, we can't even get four posts into a thread about a female-fronted show without a sexual comment? Bloody hell CaB.

zomgmouse

metaltax

I thought this was...alright. Less funny than Catastrophe. In fact I don't remember finding any of it funny at all. It was enjoyable enough but nothing special. It just sort of...happened.

jsgibble

Horgan didn't write this, she's just in it.

And yeah, it was a bit underwhelming. I watched the first two episodes on All4 and I'll watch the rest to give it a chance but it didn't seem too special

Small Man Big Horse

I really liked it, I didn't know if Bea would be a good actress or not (though I'm a big fan of her stand up) but thought she turned in a superb performance and in general it felt very real and believable. It's perhaps not packed with laughs but I did find myself smiling a lot, and laughing out loud at a few points, and I'm certainly going to check out the rest of the series.

cliggg

I didn't laugh even once, I felt a bit bad for the main character but also found the whole thing slightly annoying. I'll probably keep watching because I am Irish and because I have no life so have to waste time doing something.

mrfridge

Quote from: cliggg on August 09, 2019, 08:32:16 PM
I didn't laugh even once, I felt a bit bad for the main character but also found the whole thing slightly annoying. I'll probably keep watching because I am Irish and because I have no life so have to waste time doing something.

A wonderful review for the dvd sleeve there.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 09, 2019, 07:52:17 PM
I really liked it, I didn't know if Bea would be a good actress or not (though I'm a big fan of her stand up) but thought she turned in a superb performance and in general it felt very real and believable. It's perhaps not packed with laughs but I did find myself smiling a lot, and laughing out loud at a few points, and I'm certainly going to check out the rest of the series.

Yer woman's a trained actress, y'know. Went to drama school, and everything.
Also, would it be sexist of me to say I think that Sharon Horgan playing yer woman's big sister is stretching credibility a bit, seeing as she's about 20 fucking years older than her?
Sharon Horgan fact: She's a big fan of The Fall.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 10, 2019, 07:29:10 AM
Yer woman's a trained actress, y'know. Went to drama school, and everything.

I'm sure I remember reading an interview with her where she basically admitted she was using comedy as a stepping stone to get into serious acting and it wound me right up.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I laughed quite a few times throughout the series, but it does seem like an odd show for Channel 4 to be stamping their Summer of Comedy branding all over. The trailers gave me a false impression of what it would be like. It reminded me a little bit of Back to Life,  but less overtly comical. It was almost a kitchen sink drama.
Overall, I thought it was rather good. The cast were all excellent and Bea carried the show effortlessly.

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 10, 2019, 07:29:10 AM
would it be sexist of me to say I think that Sharon Horgan playing yer woman's big sister is stretching credibility a bit, seeing as she's about 20 fucking years older than her?
She's 13 years older, which isn't an unusual age gap between siblings. If I had to guess, I'd have said there was only 5 or so years between them.

Hat FM

had the vibe of one of those american comedies that doesn't really make you laugh ever. the story of the first episode of fine. might evolve over time to be something good.

cliggg

I finished this in series in 2 days. It was fine, not really funny but it's more of a comedy drama. I only watched it so quickly because they are all up on the All4 site and I had nothing else to watch, I'm not sure if I would have kept up with it on a week to week basis.

Virgo76

Enjoying it so far.
Horgan and Bea's rendition of 'Zombie' was a comic high point.
It definitely is a comedy drama, but that's no bad thing.

Bad Ambassador

There wasn't anything in the second episode about Aine's breakdown, was there? Has it just thrown out its central premise already in favour of very mild, largely joke-free generica?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on August 21, 2019, 09:56:00 AM
There wasn't anything in the second episode about Aine's breakdown, was there? Has it just thrown out its central premise already in favour of very mild, largely joke-free generica?

Maybe they should throw in a scene showing yer woman blubbing every week, so we don't forget she's a former one- woman mental, and yer woman also gets to show off her acting chops.
This show would, indeed, appear to be the very definition of undemanding, although I 'd rather watch this than that unfunny " Twat Sells Flats " bollocks.

Virgo76

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on August 21, 2019, 09:56:00 AM
There's more about it after that. It's good.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 21, 2019, 10:50:53 AM
Maybe they should throw in a scene showing yer woman blubbing every week, so we don't forget she's a former one- woman mental, and yer woman also gets to show off her acting chops.
This show would, indeed, appear to be the very definition of undemanding, although I 'd rather watch this than that unfunny " Twat Sells Flats " bollocks.

Someone got out of the wrong side of the arsehole this morning.

Bad Ambassador

I'm giving up on this. The comedy is so mild as to be absent, the drama is extremely bland and soft-pedalled. It's as though someone wanted the kudos of doing a comedy-drama about mental health, but didn't want to do anything that was too strong to avoid alienating anyone. It's sort of nothingy, from the nondescript title down.

georgetaylor

What's the reason for the ridiculous aspect ratio? This looks especially daft on my 4:3 monitor.