Author Topic: David Berman RIP  (Read 4043 times)

Re: David Berman RIP
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2019, 08:25:46 PM »
Will have to give that a listen at some point

It's been nice everyone saying how lovely David was but his spiky side should be celebrated too eg.

1. the story about him whipping a CD-R at Frank Black's bald head
2. him saying Spiral Stairs's pavement songs gave a new sense of holiness to the skip button on a cd player
3. his takedown of Radiohead

Please furnish me with where I can find point 3.

« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2019, 11:31:30 PM »
Please furnish me with where I can find point 3.

https://pitchfork.com/features/interview/7519-silver-jews/

Towards the end of that interview

I actually think it’s quite unfair but still funny all the same

« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2019, 11:44:23 PM »
Finding the lyrics of Purple Mountains a bit hard now tbh. This kind of suicide by a person who always seemed like they might do something like that (Mark Linkous immediately springs to mind) always dwells on me like a motherfucker in an "is that just the inevitable endpoint? is that even a bad thing if the alternative utterly sucks too?" kind of way and the extremely direct lyrics make it very raw listening...

At the same time though, great album, maybe doesn't have the extreme highs that are on the first three albums but on the whole it's better than any of them I think. Is that Cassie in the Darkness & Cold video? I see only one article directly saying it's her but it presumably is?

« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2019, 11:57:31 PM »
Will have to give that a listen at some point

It's been nice everyone saying how lovely David was but his spiky side should be celebrated too eg.

1. the story about him whipping a CD-R at Frank Black's bald head
2. him saying Spiral Stairs's pavement songs gave a new sense of holiness to the skip button on a cd player
3. his takedown of Radiohead

Got a link for number 2?

You should also add his numerous sneers at Jack White/ 'Sir Edgar Scissor Blues'

« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2019, 07:56:43 AM »
I've been listening to Purple Mountains non-stop.  It may sound tasteless to say, but what a perfect album to go out on.

« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2019, 12:07:09 PM »
there's a remembrance out there by Will Oldham that spends half of it remembering the less good.

David Berman is one of the most challenging and rewarding of people, of friends. He was a bold and powerful being who was, obviously, extremely selfish and flabbergastingly generous with his love, wit, intelligence and creativity. The first time I met David was in Steve Driesler’s house on Ohio Street (now renamed as the last stretch of Frankfort Avenue before you hit River Road). We were making the Palace Brothers record There Is No One What Will Take Care Of You and Bob Nastanovich brought David by to say hello. At the time, David and Bob were two-thirds of the Silver Jews. It was the Jews’ first release, the Dime Map Of The Reef EP that made me think to send our first recordings to Drag City in hopes of establishing a relationship. It was in recent weeks, David proposed that he, Bill Callahan and I tour together as the ‘Monsieurs of Drag City,’ with all three of us on stage trading off songs. David was brash and fragile, and connecting with him at any given time for any given reason most often felt like a gift. When it didn’t feel like a gift, it felt like an attack. And here we are somewhere in between.

« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2019, 12:08:22 PM »
Is that Cassie in the Darkness & Cold video? I see only one article directly saying it's her but it presumably is?

Yep. Confirmed in his reddit ama. They said it was very cathartic. Someone had a go at him on twitter saying it was terrible he got a lookalike in and he was like "no, it's her."

« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2019, 12:09:38 PM »
may as well go 3 post combo but Purple Mountains is as good as the first 3 Joos records. It feels like a total classic in a way I haven't thought of a rock record since maybe Public Strain.

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2019, 01:07:30 PM »
Yep. Confirmed in his reddit ama. They said it was very cathartic. Someone had a go at him on twitter saying it was terrible he got a lookalike in and he was like "no, it's her."

Upon watching it for the first time it didn’t even enter my mind that it was her as it looks nothing like the promo pics of her from when she was in SJs

I’ve since seen a couple of old pics that show it’s clearly the same person. I was probably influenced by my own disbelief that she’d be at all comfortable starting in the vid

think she’s just one of those people who look quite different depending on the angle/expression etc, DCB was also a bit like that.

« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2019, 01:11:49 PM »
It was 10 years since we last saw her.

Just seen this tiny clip from (prsumably) rehearsals for the tour.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B08zBmhlcqx/?igshid=svcdyi0w4ym5

« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2019, 01:56:22 PM »
Fucking hell! It doesn't even look like his signature.

In fact, why is there a signature even on it?

EDIT: Does that say Average Wife Band?!

« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2019, 01:59:18 PM »
Oh no, these are horrible!

« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2019, 11:51:06 PM »
There's a pretty intense eulogy from Jeffrey Lewis here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bEgdSeTAfM&feature=youtu.be

« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2019, 05:33:49 PM »
I bought American Water on a whim in 1998 and one thing that struck me, in particular, was that David Berman was someone who gave the impression that he had everything sussed out, evidently hyper-intelligent and gifted beyond practically everyone as a wordsmith.  At that stage I couldn't detect any obvious vulnerability whatsoever, I presumed he was a cocksure kind of guy who would have a long career akin to what Will Oldham or Bill Callahan have made for themselves. As someone said, from Bright Flight onwards it became apparent that all was not well. To me, it appears he's come a long way from the personality he portrays on that album, to the nakedly depressed, self-deprecating and resigned tone of the Purple Mountains album.  I am sure his life has been far more complicated than I can possibly imagine, but to me, it's remarkable how on top of everything he used to sound compared to where he was on his final album.

« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2019, 06:57:23 PM »
Got a link for number 2?

You should also add his numerous sneers at Jack White/ 'Sir Edgar Scissor Blues'

Can't find any existence of it online, maybe it's in the Pavement biography? Or maybe it was just in some print interview.

There's another quote of his I remembered where he said he had some messed up dream about Courtney Love's nether regions... no trace online either.

Starting to think I may have made all of this up.

« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2019, 08:27:24 PM »
First Aid Kit have released a cover of Random Rules and also a new song written for DB. It's sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfZ-vh-nc9o

A friend was at Green Man last week and they opened the Literature Tent with a reading of one of David's poems and then read a little eulogy to him. I like that I keep hearing about stuff like this. I came across this last night...

Nashville - David Berman, age 52 of Nashville, TN, passed away August 7, 2019 in Brooklyn, NY. A profoundly loved and loving husband, son, friend, contrarian, historian, writer, band leader, cheerleader, and occasional anarchist, he navigated the wildly unpredictable terrain of his inner world and our shared planet with fascination, patience, and love. A champion of the underdog and a willful underdog of champions, he fought the good fight wherever he saw fit with bravery, candor, and humor. And won.

Born January 4, 1967, David was a poet, musician, and visual artist, whose mastery of language shone in every sense--be it written, spoken, or drawn--in his many songs and poems, in texts and emails, in shopping lists and post-it notes, and sharpie-on-old-converse shoes. From unexpected and rushed joyful exclamations on the phone, to wry and painfully funny asides in public forums, to receive his words was to get a tattoo that you never knew you wanted, and instantly wonder how you ever lived without. This was his joy, his drive, his love--the life's work that sustained him to stay in this world as long as he did for us.

David leaves us with his celebrated book of poetry Actual Air, his vast musical discography as Silver Jews and Purple Mountains, and his beloved cartoon collection The Portable February. With these works, he enlightened us with joy, comfort, and empathy beyond even the magic of his words.

For decades, his work has had a deep and lasting impact on many thousands of people the world over. That impact will continue. His legacy will be carried on by his wife, Cassie, and everyone at his longtime collaborator and foil, Drag City Records.

He is survived by in-laws Robert and Linda Marrett, Julie and Arnis Ekens, Joseph Marrett and Niani Campbell, Meaghan and Tommy Gift, nephews Erik and Robert Ekens, and nieces Savannah Ekens and Marrett Jane Gift of Louisville, KY; maternal aunt Carolyn Stucker and cousin Andy Ford of Akron, OH, cousin Anara WhiteBear of Bloomington, IN and their families; his father Richard Berman and family of McLean, VA, sister Carolyn Braun of Naples, FL, paternal aunt Jayne and uncle Jerry Dubin of Chester, NJ, cousin Joanne Schlesinger and her son Joshua of Long Valley, NJ, aunt Patricia Skolnik and family of Denver, CO, and aunt Felicia Brown and family of San Francisco, CA. He was preceded in death by his beloved mother Marilyn "Mimi" (Tissot) Berman, maternal grandparents Robert and Doris Tissot, and paternal grandparents Shep and Anita Berman.

Friends and family, along with the Jewish community, will bury David in Nashville in a private service on Friday, August 16th. We ask his many additional friends and fans to respect the privacy of his family at this time. A public memorial service and anti-showmanship tribute featuring brilliant conversation, passionate speeches, and a tangle of nicotine swans will be held in Nashville at a later date. In lieu of flowers, please consider a memorial contribution to Music Health Alliance and/or MusiCares.

Drag City have been fucking great throughout this too. Their eulogy was beautiful and their pledge to keep everything in print to fuck off the dealers was nice too.

« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2019, 11:07:23 AM »
I did a cover of a song for this David Berman tribute compilation (that's free) along with songs from Adam Green, Jeffrey Lewis, Dean Wareham, Jad Fair amongst others. Enjoy?

http://section-26.fr/approaching-perfection-a-tribute-to-dc-berman/