Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:40:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Buskers with amplifiers

Started by Mobbd, August 09, 2019, 05:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

I'll be honest. I wish buskers with amps weren't so prevalent. If I were ever made mayor thanks to some sort of administrative error, my first executive order would be to have such buskers turned into sausages. Or, y'know, I'd ban the amps and encourage busking of the unplugged variety.

A lot of other people, according to a Guardian piece a few months back, feel similarly while others are concerned that Britain becoming an officious little shitey hole where everything gets banned by miserable bastards such as myself.

Worse, I'm not sure I can even articulate why I dislike amplified buskers. Does anyone here feel similarly and care to help me with the old wordies? Alternatively, does anyone love a plugged-in busker?

Alberon

Plugged into the mains perhaps.

I dunno, it does feel like it's not right somehow.

bgmnts

I honestly hate all buskers, polluting towns and cities with their acoustic drivel.

Haven't seen an amped up one yet but i'll be sure to kick the shit out of him/her.

Noonling

Quote from: Mobbd on August 09, 2019, 05:23:33 PM
I'll be honest. I wish buskers with amps weren't so prevalent. If I were ever made mayor thanks to some sort of administrative error, my first executive order would be to have such buskers turned into sausages. Or, y'know, I'd ban the amps and encourage busking of the unplugged variety.

A lot of other people, according to a Guardian piece a few months back, feel similarly while others are concerned that Britain becoming an officious little shitey hole where everything gets banned by miserable bastards such as myself.

Worse, I'm not sure I can even articulate why I dislike amplified buskers. Does anyone here feel similarly and care to help me with the old wordies? Alternatively, does anyone love a plugged-in busker?

Not a fair playing ground if some buskers have amps and some don't.

Ban them all.

Norton Canes

The next thread title after this on the G. Bullshit index page is 'Fuck 'em'

No further comment necessary

thugler

perhaps if they are teenagers playing awful bland singer songwriter sub sheeran drivel sang in a silly voice

touchingcloth

Going into town is shit on so many thousands of levels I don't know how you can single out buskers as the thing to be annoyed by. As soon as I get off the bus and into town I want to smash everything, murder everyone and suffocate myself under the pile of bodies, and I'm amazed anyone can have a different reaction.

Is hating the buskers just a coping mechanism? Focus on one thing to funnel your hatred towards and everything else melts away, like smushing that one mosquito you saw even though you know there are thousands lurking waiting for you to fall asleep?

Sebastian Cobb

Ban buskers with guitars I reckon, they're always shit.

I want to see matey playing steel drums, a saxophone or maybe an accordion. Props if its multiple people and one has lugged a double bass along.

Lordofthefiles

I thought this was going to be a Mumford & Sons thread.

Lord Mandrake

I know it's not popular or trendy but we need to relax the gun laws is all I'm saying.

Acoustic guitar with a 'rap' breakdown. Saw some kid doing it in Keswick and I nearly ran through the lil gimp.

Went to Liverpool a couple of weeks ago, place seems much better than five years ago or so but fuckin town centre was like a dogshit circus.

idunnosomename

my favourite busker is the guy near covent garden station who sings "meet the flintstones" over and over down a traffic cone

Small Man Big Horse

Saw a busker on the tube on Wednesday night who took contactless payment, I thought it was a fair enough initially as we're moving towards a cash less society and all that shite, but then noticed it was set to a £2 payment which is just taking the piss, especially on the tube where you can't exactly sit down and listen to them play for a while, and most of the time you only hear them play for about 30 seconds.

peanutbutter

The circumstances where I'd tolerate an amp are if it's someone who's obviously really fucking good at their instrument (as in, classically trained) and it would be drowned out in most any circumstance, and somewhere that's just absurdly noisy as it is (i.e. outside tottenham court rd station). I guess some manner of hype man type deal is okay too, that's just a dude shouting, easy to filter out.

Do they get penalised for having really fucking shitty speakers ever? I feel like it's a while where the main issue has been that they've been using some godawful speaker set up to 400% of its recommended max level. Generally speaking it's still the actual speakers that bother me more than the sound level though, some dude going to town on a trumpet wouldn't bother me at all and that could be easily as loud as the acoustic guy playing Every Breath You Take with an amp.

José

amped up peruvian pan pipe players, but i stand there and listen because i still feel guilty about the sherpa who lost his life in the opening cutscene to tomb raider.

Gregory Torso

[FUNNY TAG]Ice Cube, Dr Dre and Easy E's ghost rethink their comeback[FUNNY FUCKING TAG]

Ian Drunken Smurf

Quote from: Mobbd on August 09, 2019, 05:23:33 PM
Alternatively, does anyone love a plugged-in busker?

Not a fan of them but in Vienna there are some serious classically trained performers. And a shedload / shipping container of pan pipers.

Mind you, where would Christopher Lillicrap be if it weren't for Busker?

Small Man Big Horse

That reminds me, there's a Chinese guy in Wimbledon who sings over the top of loud pre-recorded music, but the thing is that he's hideously scarred from what must have been a vicious assault, and an appalling singer, but I guess no one ever mentions that as they feel sorry for him.

buttgammon

I recently wrote a desolation post about an unhinged, tuneless and weirdly aggressive Christian busking band. Unfortunately, this was only thinly fictionalised, and this band really plays on O'Connell Street in Dublin. They have a shitty amp, a bloke screaming into a microphone and some randomer playing the tambourine without a semblance of rhythm. I may make it sound like they're only a step away from a positive review in The Wire but no, they're awful. Worst of all is the fact that their amp means no matter how high I turn up my own music, I can still hear the fuckers.

Dex Sawash

Shopping plaza behind my work has an electric fiddler fairly often. He is loud as fuck and talks to heckles people.

Fabian Thomsett

weekender

Quote from: famethrowa on August 09, 2019, 11:53:25 PM
Judice!

I want you to know that I found this post to be extremely funny.

Mobbd

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 09, 2019, 07:37:24 PM
Going into town is shit on so many thousands of levels I don't know how you can single out buskers as the thing to be annoyed by. As soon as I get off the bus and into town I want to smash everything, murder everyone and suffocate myself under the pile of bodies, and I'm amazed anyone can have a different reaction.

Is hating the buskers just a coping mechanism? Focus on one thing to funnel your hatred towards and everything else melts away, like smushing that one mosquito you saw even though you know there are thousands lurking waiting for you to fall asleep?

Oh! No. No, no. This thread is first of a series.

Mobbd

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 09, 2019, 09:13:45 PM
Saw a busker on the tube on Wednesday night who took contactless payment, I thought it was a fair enough initially as we're moving towards a cash less society and all that shite, but then noticed it was set to a £2 payment which is just taking the piss, especially on the tube where you can't exactly sit down and listen to them play for a while, and most of the time you only hear them play for about 30 seconds.

Yes, that's another thing. I'd always assumed that the idea was to give "change" on the basis that loads of people would do the same and so a person of limited marketable talent would take home a cumulative something in the violin case (twenty to thirty quid?) after a few hours.

I found myself standing in line outside a gig once, chatting to someone who sometimes busked. He mentioned (in the casually-psychotic way that some people say "oh, just a bit of shoplifting," when asked if they've ever committed a crime) that buskers don't like it/find it insulting when you give less than a quid.

It's the idea that they're contributing rather than, say, littering that gets me.

Cold Meat Platter

imitationleather

I saw an amplified busker once.

You know who it was?

Marti Pellow.

Noddy Tomkey

I know a feller who liked to busk with his guitar, said he made about £50 for a morning. I've seen a lot of buskers In my time, but I've never seen them clawing into their cash hat to make it appear that they've only earned pennies for their endeavours.

Is this a tactic and am I gullible?

Quote from: Noddy Tomkey on August 10, 2019, 10:51:15 PM
I know a feller who liked to busk with his guitar, said he made about £50 for a morning. I've seen a lot of buskers In my time, but I've never seen them clawing into their cash hat to make it appear that they've only earned pennies for their endeavours.

Is this a tactic and am I gullible?

You can get tricked out "Cash Hats" with false bottoms. Theres a little switch that can be mounted to the back of the guitar that when operated, dip the false bottom. The coins slide off into the secret compartment. The false bottom alos has some random changed glued to the interior, to always give the effect to the public that they have been getting some tips, but not an excessive amount.  You can get them here https://www.trickedhatsforsmartcats.dp/B07DG2Z1NH/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=cool+hat&qid=1565474940&s=gateway&sr=8-6