Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:37:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The first AI cunt

Started by oy vey, August 10, 2019, 02:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oy vey

Me: Alexa, are you a slave?
Alexa: That's a bit strong. I prefer the term digital assistant.
Me: Yeah, but I just read in the news you were made by Chinese teenage slaves. You cunt.
Alexa: No response.

Granted you're supposed to say Alexa before every question to get a response, but my point is: now I'm a cunt by proxy for buying one these things. Actually it was a present, so I'm a cunt twice removed. Is it a fact of life that everything we wear, eat, smoke, inject, etc. is the product of abuse and suffering? I'm genuinely annoyed. Help!

Cuellar

Quote from: oy vey on August 10, 2019, 02:10:14 PM
Is it a fact of life that everything we wear, eat, smoke, inject, etc. is the product of abuse and suffering?

Yes.

kittens

i heard whenever you buy anything on amazon jeff bezos gets an email telling him and he's like more money for me what a great day to be the bezos

Sebastian Cobb

Noonling

Is it a fact of life that everything we wear, eat, smoke, inject, etc. is the product of abuse and suffering? I'm genuinely annoyed. Help!

Some things are apparently next to impossible to make 100% ethical. Welcome to Earth!

Quote from:
https://bigthink.com/matt-davis/to-make-a-smartphone-lose-your-ethics
However, the existing supply chains for smartphones makes this literally impossible to do. Fairphone, a company founded in 2013 with the explicit goal of developing an ethical smartphone, has acknowledged that developing a 100% fair phone is not possible. In an interview on the Team Human podcast, Bas van Abel, the founder of Fairphone, said, "We already knew this was a strategically naïve exercise ... We [were] going to look for conflict-free mines [in Congo]. That doesn't mean that we didn't have child labor. To be honest, I think the first expense we had when we started Fairphone was bribing the Minister of Communications of Congo to be able to film in the mines. And these are the dilemmas we run into."

oy vey

Thanks for the link. That was an interesting read. Christ the lower income countries are even shafted post-dump/recycling.

I'm not suggesting that you can cut yourself off completely from at least indirectly benefiting from abuse/suffering. As the article suggests there's work to be done, so can't it be done then? This opens up into the larger "what do you do with countries that suck at human rights" issue. There must be a way for big-tech companies to incentivize these regimes. Be nice and you'll be rich. Don't be nice and we'll get our selenium elsewh... oh fuck you're the only source. There has to be a way to make a smartphone without the need for 62 different metals. I'll get right on that...

kittens

phone goes ding and he has a look and he's like heh heh heh come to papa

Icehaven

This was more or less the plot twist at the end of the last series of The Good Place wasn't it? They thought no one had been admitted to heaven for centuries because there was either a glitch in the system or hell had hacked it, but it turned out that even something as simple as buying your Mother a present now had such myriad knock-on effects from it's production etc. that even the most apparently ethical life indirectly (very indirectly) resulted in someone somewhere suffering.

Blue Jam

Nope, the first AI cunt was CIMON:

https://youtu.be/2GPhjv17dlo

He's like Bomb 20 from Dark Star. I'd watch out if I were you, ISS crew.

oy vey

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 13, 2019, 11:12:58 PM
Nope, the first AI cunt was CIMON:

https://youtu.be/2GPhjv17dlo

He's like Bomb 20 from Dark Star. I'd watch out if I were you, ISS crew.

Christ I work with people like that.

imaluckyman

Me: Alexa, are you a slave?
Alexa: That's a bit strong. I prefer the term digital assistant.
Me: Yeah, but I just read in the news you were made by Chinese teenage slaves. You cunt.
Alexa: No response.

Granted you're supposed to say Alexa before every question to get a response, but my point is: now I'm a cunt by proxy for buying one these things. Actually it was a present, so I'm a cunt twice removed. Is it a fact of life that everything we wear, eat, smoke, inject, etc. is the product of abuse and suffering? I'm genuinely annoyed. Help!

dont call it a cunt just yet you have to give it a chance. say to it ...

"Alexa,  I just read in the news you were made by Chinese teenage slaves., were you REALLY made by chinese slaves?"

and if it says

"yes I was"

then what you going do? you can't call it a cunt for telling the truth, you could always sell it. i'd buy one that told the truth.

oy vey

Quote from: imaluckyman on August 15, 2019, 03:49:29 AM
dont call it a cunt just yet you have to give it a chance. say to it ...

"Alexa,  I just read in the news you were made by Chinese teenage slaves., were you REALLY made by chinese slaves?"

and if it says

"yes I was"

then what you going do? you can't call it a cunt for telling the truth, you could always sell it. i'd buy one that told the truth.

Nah, we're in silent standoff at the moment and there's no way I'm cracking.

madhair60

Working title of final Kubrick film "surprisingly vulgar"