Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:24:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jeffrey Epstein found dead in his cell [split topic]

Started by Zetetic, August 10, 2019, 02:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murder or suicide?

Suicide
31 (35.6%)
Murder
11 (12.6%)
Yes
9 (10.3%)
Who cares, as long as the investigation continues and we expose some evil bastards
9 (10.3%)
OR SOMETHING MORE SINISTER
2 (2.3%)
Prison's too good for him. What about jail?
4 (4.6%)
Murdered by the King of the Nonces
2 (2.3%)
Raoul Moat
13 (14.9%)
Accidental death due to a Hutchence Tug
1 (1.1%)
GORDON'S ALIVE
3 (3.4%)
Brooooooken neckbones (and some home fries)
1 (1.1%)
I love nonces yeah, some of my best friends are 100% nonce
0 (0%)
Toby Young, Gifted and Nonce
1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 87

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on August 10, 2019, 04:26:52 PM
Maybe you were continually snarky in the first place and got some back, but think of it like that if it makes you feel better, who really cares

You're certainly not the person to take issue with anyone using snark in online discourse. At least mine was a general comment (not even intended as snark really, just frustration) as opposed to targeted at other users. You piled on with Thursday using the technique he had such a problem with in the first place, just exacerbating in the situation. It's a bit troll-y, which you should know better than to do.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Zetetic on August 10, 2019, 04:44:04 PM
Isn't that entirely voluntary, by contrast?

I'm not sure it is.

Anyway, if there was a real effort from the top to bust this ring, regardless of collateral damage then Epstein would have had pretty much every layer of protection and surveillance imaginable to ensure his continued existence and 'well being'.

By contrast, given what he appears to have actually received, it comes across as the state not being overly bothered if he died and took some secrets to the grave with him.

Quote from: Zetetic on August 10, 2019, 04:46:07 PM
I can only point again to this:

I don't think that the dead-on-"suicide-watch" is the challenging bit here, but it will be interesting to see what comes out about that.

That he had, seemingly, relatively easy access to means is surprising.

Ok well it seems to confirm what I just said, although the notion of American prison guards actually following a 25-year-old policy manual from the DoJ is somewhat laughable. The guards can do whatever they want. It seems indisputable to me that they could have kept Epstein alive. The question is why they did not.

Zetetic

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 10, 2019, 04:49:25 PM
I'm not sure it is.
Nor am I, to be clear. I'm actually interested to know what the compulsion looks like (if only as relatively pleasant distraction from the sexual abuse of children and lack of consequence for the perpetrators.)

Zetetic

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 10, 2019, 04:49:05 PM
You're certainly not the person to take issue with anyone using snark in online discourse. At least mine was a general comment (not even intended as snark really, just frustration) as opposed to targeted at other users. You piled on with Thursday using the technique he had such a problem with in the first place, just exacerbating in the situation. It's a bit troll-y, which you should know better than to do.

Your comment was targeted at the general discourse you had witnessed, of which the conversation here possessed the same tenor and general outlook. If you're surprised that when you come in to consistently and snarkily imply that you know better than everyone else, that people might not be so polite about this in return then I'm sorry but you're expecting an unwarranted level of deference to your viewpoint. Absolutely ridiculous that you're trying to paint yourself as a victim here. Grow up

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Zetetic

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on August 10, 2019, 04:50:09 PM
the notion of American prison guards actually following a 25-year-old policy manual from the DoJ is somewhat laughable
Sure, in detail. But the idea that there are variable levels of increased observation and restriction isn't likely to have changed much. (I'm trying to remember how much NICE guidance on effectively the same thing - how you cut-up levels of observation - has changed in the last few decades. I think they might have fiddled with where they put "at-arm's-length" and "multiple at-arm's length"...)

Setting aside rights and wellbeing, it's still a massive use of staff time (and one that they'd rather delegate to a hospital given the choice, I suspect).

But, moot anyway, it seems given that he wasn't by this point on any higher level of observation...

steve98

So is (Was) Epstein Q? According to some Tweeters he was.

Relax Andy.  Your orders got through. Epstein's history.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33863013

Carrying on the witness protection comparison, in this example the woman was basically presented with a stark reality of her situation and heavily coerced while in a vulnerable position to obeying their recommendations. Voluntary... Well yeah, but this sort of thing undermines the notion of volunteering somewhat.

It also illustrates that the state didn't need Epsteins consent to wrap him in cotton wool.

Quote from: steve98 on August 10, 2019, 04:55:22 PM

I thought John F Kennedy Jr. was supposed to be Q

Hank Venture

http://twitter.com/CarolLeonnig/status/1160205614783635458

Okay then ... Epstein claimed the last suicide attempt was not a suicide attempt at all. Nothing to see here.

Zetetic

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 10, 2019, 04:57:07 PM
Well yeah, but this sort of thing undermines the notion of volunteering somewhat.
And I appreciate a lot of Witness Protection in the US is in the context of testifying to reduce their own liabilities.

biggytitbo

Quote from: steve98 on August 10, 2019, 04:55:22 PM

Either someone on Trump's peripheral staff or the CIA pissing about.

Or, more likely, some basement dwelling crank civilian because none of his predictions came true at all

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on August 10, 2019, 04:54:01 PM
Your comment was targeted at the general discourse you had witnessed, of which the conversation here possessed the same tenor and general outlook. If you're surprised that when you come in to consistently and snarkily imply that you know better than everyone else, that people might not be so polite about this in return then I'm sorry but you're expecting an unwarranted level of deference to your viewpoint. Absolutely ridiculous that you're trying to paint yourself as a victim here. Grow up

Again, my comment seems to be taken as a personal attack. I didn't really know what your view on the situation was when I commented, I could only see general surprise, confusion, a few jokes and maybe a bit of eyebrow raising. My mistake was responding to what I felt was a condescending post by Thursday, which didn't really concern you. I apologise if you felt like I was being a dick to you, but taking what I said and reducing it to some "oh he was just sad" nonsense just seemed like an attempt to dismiss me because I had a problem with a few conspiracy theorists. And I don't think it's fair of you to call me out for behaviour I've seen you consistently exhibit around here, in this thread to another user in fact. I'm no victim, just a bit confused as to how we got here.

I was so pleased at your use of the word "languid" in the GLOW thread earlier, and now look at us, fighting over some dead kiddy-diddler.

I'm not against snark, I self-evidently use it all the time. But I don't whine about it when I get it back. That's all. It's not about snark, it's about the expectation that other people will treat you differently to how you treat them.

But who gives a shit really, this has definitely snowballed to become a totally disproportionate reaction to whatever it was that started this off

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on August 10, 2019, 05:18:12 PM
I'm not against snark, I self-evidently use it all the time. But I don't whine about it when I get it back. That's all. It's not about snark, it's about the expectation that other people will treat you differently to how you treat them.

But who gives a shit really, this has definitely snowballed to become a totally disproportionate reaction to whatever it was that started this off

Well it's going to make me more mindful about how things I don't think about can come across. So it wasn't for nothing.

PlanktonSideburns

Can the lad in the bath and the screaming old man FUCK ON to private messages with their bickering os gwelwch yn dda?

garbed_attic

Interestingly I'm seeing push back in some quarters of my Twitter feed against the idea that he was murdered based on the fact that such a reading neglects the fact that people do regularly commit suicide in American prisons even on suicide watch.

Captain Z

Knock it off with the bickering, guys. A man's died - show some respect.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 10, 2019, 05:37:13 PM
Can the lad in the bath and the screaming old man FUCK ON to private messages with their bickering os gwelwch yn dda?

We only fight in public, it's very loving behind closed doors.

jobotic

I might be tempted to off myself if I was looking at a long time in an American prison, but not if I was obscenely wealthy and white.

I am one of those.

sevendaughters

keep reading lots of blueticks of twitter posting official seeming stuff like "there was a camera malfunction in that part of the prison" and "last week Epstein claimed his suicide attempt was no such thing", so hard to parse the bullshit these days.

PlanktonSideburns

I tend to wait till the miami herald say anything before I believe anything, not that that's particularly logical

biggytitbo

Maybe he's made a right mug of us all and when he was carried out on 'dead' on the stretcher he was just holding his breath, trying not to let a giggle out?

6 months and lots of plastic surgery later the local girls school gets a new maths teacher -  "Hi girls, I'm Mr Jepstein".

Dex Sawash