Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:01:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Weird Idiosyncracies of Comedians?

Started by MortSahlFan, August 10, 2019, 05:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

For example, IF a comic who won't go on stage until they have their non-brown M&Ms

oy vey

Louis CK.

I may as well be the first to bring him up. Carry on.

McChesney Duntz

Can't think of any individuals this applies to, but I would be very surprised if at least one in ten comedians don't have some form of OCD.

kalowski

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on August 10, 2019, 08:17:06 PM
Can't think of any individuals this applies to, but I would be very surprised if at least one in ten comedians don't have some form of OCD.
Why?

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: kalowski on August 10, 2019, 08:59:11 PM
Why?

Seems to fit the personality type quite well. Just a hunch, mind you; could be wrong.

kalowski

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on August 10, 2019, 09:34:19 PM
Seems to fit the personality type quite well. Just a hunch, mind you; could be wrong.
I could also be wrong, but OCD is a really serious mental health condition which has very overt symptoms, such as frequent obsessive thoughts and compulsive behaviours, but I don't think that means it should be common to comedians.

QuoteWashers are afraid of contamination. They usually have cleaning or hand-washing compulsions.
Checkers repeatedly check things (oven turned off, door locked, etc.) that they associate with harm or danger.
Doubters and sinners are afraid that if everything isn't perfect or done just right something terrible will happen, or they will be punished.
Counters and arrangers are obsessed with order and symmetry. They may have superstitions about certain numbers, colors, or arrangements.
Hoarders fear that something bad will happen if they throw anything away. They compulsively hoard things that they don't need or use. They may also suffer from other disorders, such as depression, PTSD, compulsive buying, kleptomania, ADHD, skin picking, or tic disorders.
That's not an exhaustive list, but common types of OCD.

chveik

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on August 10, 2019, 08:17:06 PM

Maria Bamford

kalowski

And I'm not saying there are no comedians with OCD, but 10%?

McChesney Duntz

Yeah, probably way too high an estimate. Likely not even a statement worth making in the first place. But whate'er.

H-O-W-L

Lee Evans requires a tire swing and a bunch of bananas backstage, as well as all staff to sign a liability waiver in case he wants to throw his own shit at them.

Just kidding about that last part, that's actually the waiver you sign if you buy tickets to one of his shows.

TAKE THAT YOU FUCK!

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on August 10, 2019, 11:04:18 PM
Yeah, probably way too high an estimate. Likely not even a statement worth making in the first place. But whate'er.
Well, this press release from Oxford about comedy and psychosis was doing the rounds a few years ago.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jan/16/successful-comedians-display-symptoms-psychosis-study-says

zomgmouse

Bob Mortimer has arthritis but I'm not sure that counts

Pseudopath

Ross Noble is allegedly a notorious tight arse, constantly begging other (often much lesser-paid) comedians for food, drink, transport and accommodation but never returning the favour.

TheMonk

Quote from: Pseudopath on August 11, 2019, 02:59:09 AM
Ross Noble is allegedly a notorious tight arse, constantly begging other (often much lesser-paid) comedians for food, drink, transport and accommodation but never returning the favour.
You wot?

Bronzy

Quote from: Pseudopath on August 11, 2019, 02:59:09 AM

That's just being a Geordie, to be fair.

thenoise

H-O-W-L