Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:51:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

places in the UK you have never been to

Started by Gregory Torso, August 10, 2019, 10:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

nw83

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 10, 2019, 11:42:32 PM

Imagine living there, I did from 2000 to 2017 and I have to confess as bad as that was it was an upgrade from living in Hull.

Always found Leeds to be a fairly booming and vibrant (in the real sense of the word, not the property agent's euphemism) city. Nice old pubs too. That's all if you confine yourself to the square mile around the railway station, mind.

I've not been to Hull or Sheffield though, or Huddersfield or Wakefield for that matter, so who knows.

Lots of people on spice in Manchester.

Ian Drunken Smurf

Quote from: Brian Freeze on August 10, 2019, 11:57:03 PM
Cornwall.

Should I bother clogging the roads up and generally making the place look untidy? Does it need another twat?

There is only one road in Cornwall, the A30. Memories of childhood holiday traffic jams made me ask, just imagine if you had to use it to get to work every day.

Ian Drunken Smurf

Never been to Norfolk. Only reason I want to is Alan Partridge.

Wish I'd not been to:

Bodmin
Corby
Rhyl
Crowthorne
Shotts

Jockice

Northern Ireland. Even though I have an Irish surname and my dad's side of the family originally came from there. He actually managed to trace a couple of them a couple of years before they died and they even came to his funeral. They looked like gangsters. Probably are.

Gregory Torso

Never been further north than York. I'd really like to go to Scotland, any recommendations?

Gregory Torso

Quote from: chveik on August 10, 2019, 10:57:55 PM
never been to the uk. is it any good?

No, it is actually the complete opposite.

Konki

I've never been to Exeter, Durham or Nottingham but I have been to Forest Bank and Wormwood Scrubs.

greencalx

I've lived in the West Country, East Anglia, the north west of England and Scotland. But despite that there's millions of places in the UK I've never been too. The most notable omissions are

Anywhere in Northern Ireland
Liverpool (passed through en route to the Isle of Man, but didn't stop)
Sheffield
Cardiff
Kent

Shoulders?-Stomach!

N.I
Any South Wales
Anywhere more south west than Bristol
Any North West coastal towns in Lancashire or Cumbria
Anywhere in Cheshire or Shropshire
Suffolk
Brighton
Liverpool (properly)
Bath
Oxford
Cambridge

I am keen to put that right, seeing as I've been to more of the length and breadth of Poland.

dex

Twit 2

Quote from: Ian Drunken Smurf on August 11, 2019, 07:13:55 AM
There is only one road in Cornwall, the A30. Memories of childhood holiday traffic jams made me ask, just imagine if you had to use it to get to work every day.

A39 too, dude. Fucking Atlantic Highway that, mate.

Never been to:

The whole of the north west - Manchester, Liverpool etc
The whole of the south coast between Devon and Brighton
The whole of Scotland and Ireland

In contrast I know the fuck out of:

Cornwall, Devon, East Anglia

And am familiar enough with:

Midlands, Yorkshire (+ whatever the area around Stockton on Tees is known as these days - County Durham?) London

Have been to but not too often:

Wales, Cumbria, South East (Kent etc), Northumberland, Derbyshire

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 11, 2019, 09:38:52 AM
N.I
Any South Wales
Anywhere more south west than Bristol
Any North West coastal towns in Lancashire or Cumbria
Anywhere in Cheshire or Shropshire
Suffolk
Brighton
Liverpool (properly)
Bath
Oxford
Cambridge

I am keen to put that right, seeing as I've been to more of the length and breadth of Poland.

Traitor to this country. The only british city i havent visited is Brighton.

pancreas

Quote from: Gregory Torso on August 11, 2019, 08:36:58 AM
Never been further north than York. I'd really like to go to Scotland, any recommendations?

I would get try boarding a train or maybe getting in a car.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 11, 2019, 11:27:30 AM
Traitor to this country. The only british city i havent visited is Brighton.

This country is expensive and it takes a long time to get anywhere. If I wanted to go to Cornwall for example I would seriously consider taking a plane flight vs train or bus.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: pancreas on August 11, 2019, 11:29:53 AM
I would get try boarding a train or maybe getting in a car.

It's about a hundred quid to get try boarding a train to Scotland though isn't it, I'd prefer to know where I was get try heading to before I spurt that kind of cash

Gulftastic

For some reason, I've never got round to visiting Harrogate.. It's the last place of any actual size in Yorkshire I've not been to.

pancreas

Quote from: Gregory Torso on August 11, 2019, 11:48:11 AM
It's about a hundred quid to get try boarding a train to Scotland though isn't it, I'd prefer to know where I was get try heading to before I spurt that kind of cash

There is only one train. It says SCOTLAND on the front. You have to get on that.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on August 11, 2019, 02:08:55 AMThe Outer Hebrides, even though I live right next to the Inner Hebrides. Shocking really.

That's a good point, I've done no islands except Wight.  Not even Canvey or Sheppey.

Quote from: Gulftastic on August 11, 2019, 11:53:42 AMFor some reason, I've never got round to visiting Harrogate.. It's the last place of any actual size in Yorkshire I've not been to.

Oddly, given how poorly I've covered the north of England in general, I have done Harrogate, as a child.

NattyDread 2

Quote from: canadagoose on August 11, 2019, 02:24:34 AM
How do you get there? Is there a ferry from somewhere?

Ferry from the top of Skye (Uig) to Harris or Uist and from there you can do some island hopping via more ferries and causeways. I'm only about an hour away from the ferry but still haven't ventured out there.

NoSleep

Ferris

Quote from: Gregory Torso on August 11, 2019, 11:48:11 AM

Edinburgh is beautiful, and the only city on this wretched island that would tempt me to move back. For fucks sake, don't go in August though. 30 quid on a plane last I checked though I imagine that is more expensive now.

I've never been to Norwich or Brighton. Are they nice?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: NoSleep on August 11, 2019, 01:26:26 PM
Scarborough Fair.

You should, the tombola they have there is excellent.

The big three for me are Manchester, Liverpool and Newcastle, which is odd as I've had friends who have lived there at various points in my life. Oh, and I've never been to Wales, but I don't think I've missed out as bar Cerys I've heard there's not much to do there.

Ferris

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 11, 2019, 02:00:49 PM
You should, the tombola they have there is excellent.

Too many fucking herb vendors last time I was there

buttgammon

I've never been to the North East, East Midlands or East Anglia, nor Bristol, Glasgow or the Lake District. The only English/Welsh/Scottish island I've been to is Anglesey.

Sebastian Cobb

Liverpool is one that I haven't been to, but wouldn't mind going to.

There's quite a few down south that are essentially service towns to London that I've not been to but have no reason to. Slough, Reading, Kent etc. I've also not had any cause (or wont) to go to some northern towns like Rotherham, Hull etc.

BlodwynPig

Abu Ghairab prison
Fred West's Grave
Jimmy Savile's holiday bungalow

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 11, 2019, 02:21:18 PM
Abu Ghairab prison
Fred West's Grave
Jimmy Savile's holiday bungalow

Blobbyland.

willpurry

I've been to Banbury but not Eccles or Chorley.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 11, 2019, 02:29:15 PM
Blobbyland.

We ventured deeper into the dense green maze, reaching the uncharted zone just before noon. Prof. Xander had suffered several nasty bites from the unusually large black flies that followed us in our foolhardy adventure. After lunch, consisting of the cured meat of something Terrence had brought back from the Congo, we set out into the unknown.

The familiar forest sounds lessened as the atmosphere became more humid and oppressive. I started to imagine eyes peering out from the canopy at our rag-tag party. Eyes of no animal that I was familiar with, despite my thirty years at the zoology department of St. Hilda's...