Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 12:09:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

places in the UK you have never been to

Started by Gregory Torso, August 10, 2019, 10:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Totally read that like one of them journal entries in Resident Evil.

bgmnts

Truro
Cirencester
Nailsworth
Nantyglo
Aberdeen

Thursday

Alton Towers. Feels like something I should have done, but it might be a bit weird to go now. Can we have a CaB meet there?

Ferris

Leicester!

Just remembered not been, not got any desire to go really.

thenoise

thenoise

Quote from: Gregory Torso on August 10, 2019, 11:03:53 PM
I'd love to go to the islands, theres about a one hundred of them, has anyone done the islands? Tiny little bit maps. Like that weatherman molestor on This Morning who could jump around the kingdom. Anyone done an island (not Man or Manx that shit sucks) something off the grid

I've been to Thatcher Rock off Torquay. You have to get there by kayak or something like that. It's named after Britain's second best Prime Minister (after Churchill, sorry Boris you aren't number one til you deliver Brexit)

greencalx

Talking of islands. Have done: Shetland (incl Unst), Orkney, Mull, Iona, Colonsay, Man and Wight. Want to do: Outer Hebrides, Scillies and Lundy. Oddly not that bothered by the rest.

Ferris

idunnosomename

i thought we did this thread like this year. oh well.

Northern Ireland
Basically Scotland except Edinburgh
St Davids and all the west coast of Wales and the really middle bits
Middlesbrough
Cornwall
Bewcastle

uh.

Quote from: Ian Drunken Smurf on August 11, 2019, 07:16:52 AM
Wish I'd not been to:

Bodmin
Corby
Rhyl
Crowthorne
Shotts

Fucking hell, that's a prime slice of desolation - Shotts is basically just a rough housing scheme that's somehow found itself transported to a Royston Vasey-esque rubbish-strewn moorland.  And a prison.

Quote from: Gregory Torso on August 11, 2019, 08:36:58 AM
Never been further north than York. I'd really like to go to Scotland, any recommendations?

Queenzieburn, birthplace of Janette 'Wee Jimmy' Krankie.

greencalx

object-lesson

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 11, 2019, 01:59:46 PM
I've never been to Norwich or Brighton. Are they nice?

The latter no, apart from the The Lanes and Brighton Pavilion, which is one of the wonders of the western world.

The widespread Coogan-fueled prejudice against Norwich is bizarre and unfounded. It's a friendly, lively and culturally interesting place, historically very important, with very good theatres and museums, the UEA, quite bohemian and leftish. I wouldn't mind living there at all.

I've never been to Cardiff or Swansea or Wrexham or The Valleys. Aberystwyth, yes.

Small Man Big Horse

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: thenoise on August 11, 2019, 08:41:35 PM
Nottingham. Looks ghastly mind.

I liked Nottingham, but then that was 30 years ago so fuck knows what it's like now.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: object-lesson on August 11, 2019, 11:44:58 PMThe widespread Coogan-fueled prejudice against Norwich is bizarre and unfounded. It's a friendly, lively and culturally interesting place, historically very important, with very good theatres and museums, the UEA, quite bohemian and leftish.

Really?!  I would have thought it was Brexit-central.  Just goes to show.

Quote from: object-lesson on August 11, 2019, 11:44:58 PMI've never been to Cardiff or Swansea or Wrexham or The Valleys. Aberystwyth, yes.

I liked Swansea a lot, so much so I lived there for several years.  I've bored on about why before now.  Might go back one day but probably not practical, sadly.

Some of the valleys are beautiful, some are bleak as fuck. 

The only bit of Aberystwyth I've seen was Cerys & SNG's flat, but it was a stunning drive there.

object-lesson

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on August 12, 2019, 12:39:54 AM

It does! 56%-44% Remain. Norwich isn't particularly insular at all, strong ecological movement, one leftish-Labour MP. These stereotypes have been around for a long time, pre-Partridge and have very little relation to reality. Think it's because people imagine it as the embodiment of the most east East Anglia, but it's a city insulated from the rural and small-town vibe. Not that that's an unqualified blessing.

bgmnts

I liked Swansea a lot, so much so I lived there for several years.  I've bored on about why before now.  Might go back one day but probably not practical, sadly.

Some of the valleys are beautiful, some are bleak as fuck. 

The only bit of Aberystwyth I've seen was Cerys & SNG's flat, but it was a stunning drive there.

I was stood up on a date in Swansea and had half a day to kill there. I got my haircut, got some pad thai (they put chicken in on accident/out of spite) and spent most of the day watching some pissheads/druggies being mental at the fountain in the square. I assume its the square, it was near the train station by some ruins.

Not the best place i've visited.

Twit 2

Norwich City Council is Labour and very progressive and left wing, certainly compared to the conservative councils of the rest of Norfolk. It has some of the best council housing (in terms of numbers and quality) in the country. Rural Norfolk is indeed full of Tory voting Brexit supporting idiots but Norwich is definitely a more liberal place.

Jockice

Quote from: Thursday on August 11, 2019, 05:19:11 PM
Alton Towers. Feels like something I should have done, but it might be a bit weird to go now. Can we have a CaB meet there?

I had my first wank after my last visit to Alton Towers.

Yeah, let's do it.

Bazooka

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 11, 2019, 06:27:35 PM
Leicester!

Just remembered not been, not got any desire to go really.

You aren't fucking welcome anyway.

the science eel

Bristol. I don't get a sense of it either, unlike with Liverpool or Birmingham or Newcastle or Glasgow or pretty much any other big city in the UK. Is it the other big city in the south after London? I don't like the sound of it at all.

I haven't been to Brighton either and that appeals a bit more. And those three East Midlands cities that are grouped together because of the airport - Leicester and the other two. Actually maybe I walked around in one of them once.

Ferris

Thanks for replies (except Bazooka who is a grade A wally). We have crisps and burned-out gas stations in Canada so no actual need to go to Leicester.

Norwich on my list of places to visit then, I guess. Brighton also, but it's a bit far as I'm usually based in the midlands or the North whenever I'm in the UK. Must make an effort next time.

Paul Calf

I first went to Norwich when I was about 18. I was hitchhiking from London to Inverness with a mate of mine and we weren't in a hurry so we decided to go and have a look at East Anglia. When we were dropped off in Norwich, I was brown-capping like a motherfucker so I stumbled into a pub and asked if I could use the toilet.

"No, son. Customers only".

We couldn't afford a pint as we were down to our last quid until we picked up some work. One of the pub's patrons called the barman a miserable twat and had a whip-round with his mates to buy me and my mate a pint so we became customers and therefore entitled to use the crapper. I've always liked Norwich.

Oh, sorry. Back on topic: never been to Aberdeen or Dundee.

EOLAN

Liverpool
South Coast West of Brighton
Wales: North and West of the Cardiff Airport
Sctoland - North of Glassgow
Northern Ireland - never really properly been in Fermanagh. May have briefly been on some motorway after missing my turn-off.

In my own Republic of Ireland - I think Sligo is the only county I have never ever been to.

ZoyzaSorris

NurseNugent

object-lesson

Quote from: NurseNugent on August 12, 2019, 07:24:32 PM
Isle of Man is not in the UK.

I'd forgotten that! Strange relationship though. The British Government tried to defend its right to birch the delinquent in 1978, but was ultimately foiled by the ECHR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsLJe_96IzQ