Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:09:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Abbey Road 50th

Started by biggytitbo, August 11, 2019, 12:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wosl

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 02, 2019, 08:24:49 PMLove You To is great, it's hypnotic

I wouldn't go 'great', but it probably wasn't fair to sling it in alongside Dr Robert.  I still think it's the least winning of George's 'Indian' Beatle tracks, though.  He does sound a bit superior on it. 

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Oh yes, without a doubt, but in that particular case I can overlook George's whining piety. I just dig that crazy sitar and tabla groove.

kalowski

Quote from: wosl on October 02, 2019, 08:31:49 PM
I wouldn't go 'great', but it probably wasn't fair to sling it in alongside Dr Robert.  I still think it's the least winning of George's 'Indian' Beatle tracks, though.  He does sound a bit superior on it.
The least winning "Indian" influenced track is the dreadful "The Inner Light"

wosl

I don't think so.  George sounds really quite 'at one' or whatever, on that one; there's a wonder and something approaching joy, in his voice.  Or peace, I suppose it is.  Great playing by the backing lads on that, too.  And Within You Without You has become my favourite, following its spiffing up on the 'Pepper 50th Anniversary mix.  His vox really shine on that, now.

Why do you think it's dreadful, kalowski? It's such a sweet tune, pure musical blossom.

Quote from: wosl on October 02, 2019, 08:50:51 PM
I don't think so.  George sounds really quite 'at one' or whatever, on that one; there's a wonder and something approaching joy, in his voice.  Or peace, I suppose it is.  Great playing by the backing lads on that, too.

Yes. It's a truly peaceful, benign piece of music. And, as you say, the Indian lads play a blinder.

kalowski

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 02, 2019, 09:00:22 PM
Why do you think it's dreadful, kalowski? It's such a sweet tune, pure musical blossom.

Yes. It's a truly peaceful, benign piece of music. And, as you say, the Indian lads play a blinder.
I hate that it doesn't rhyme, and slow quick slow style annoys me too. I think being benign is a bad thing, musically.

Quote from: kalowski on October 02, 2019, 09:12:39 PM
I hate that it doesn't rhyme, and slow quick slow style annoys me too. I think being benign is a bad thing, musically.

Tough crowd.

kalowski

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: wosl on October 02, 2019, 08:50:51 PM
I don't think so.  George sounds really quite 'at one' or whatever, on that one; there's a wonder and something approaching joy, in his voice.  Or peace, I suppose it is.  Great playing by the backing lads on that, too.  And Within You Without You has become my favourite, following its spiffing up on the 'Pepper 50th Anniversary mix.  His vox really shine on that, now.

I hate WYWY, and I quite like some Indian music.  It's not the music, it's George, who only wrote curmudgeonly songs, apart from about two throughout his time in The Beatles.  The lyrics follow his tendency towards misanthropy and a sense of self-satisfied sanctimony.  It's a song about how fucking cosmic he and his cosmic mates are and sneering at all the fucking breadheads, man.  Piggies is basically the same theme.

Which I could almost get behind if George hadn't been inclined write Taxman, about wanting to keep all of his money for himself.

He's the perfect guitar player for The Beatles and, in a more important way, he was the perfect person to complement the other three. 

Love You To on Revolver, I find a bit irritating.  The Inner Light's his best Indian song and, despite myself, I have a soft spot for Savoy Truffle.

Cardenio I

The version of Don't Pass me By on Ringo's latest album is a properly lovely tune. No, really.

wosl

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on October 02, 2019, 09:27:55 PM
I hate WYWY, and I quite like some Indian music.

I was a bit less keen on it before I'd heard the 50th Anniversary mix of it.  It's one of the tracks that most noticeably benefits from the new mix; another one is She's Leaving Home.

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: wosl on October 02, 2019, 09:35:36 PM
I was a bit less keen on it before I'd heard the 50th Anniversary mix of it.  It's one of the tracks that most noticeably benefits from the new mix; another one is She's Leaving Home.

It was Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite that the 50th changed my mind about.  I was never keen on it and, I gather, the Steve Hoffman crowd think it's shit, but I quite enjoy that mix of it.

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on October 02, 2019, 09:27:55 PM
I hate WYWY, and I quite like some Indian music.  It's not the music, it's George, who only wrote curmudgeonly songs, apart from about two throughout his time in The Beatles.  The lyrics follow his tendency towards misanthropy and a sense of self-satisfied sanctimony.  It's a song about how fucking cosmic he and his cosmic mates are and sneering at all the fucking breadheads, man.  Piggies is basically the same theme.

Which I could almost get behind if George hadn't been inclined write Taxman, about wanting to keep all of his money for himself.

He's the perfect guitar player for The Beatles and, in a more important way, he was the perfect person to complement the other three. 

Love You To on Revolver, I find a bit irritating.  The Inner Light's his best Indian song and, despite myself, I have a soft spot for Savoy Truffle.

He was all of that, yes, I agree, but I'm a sucker for psychedelic Indian-influenced drones, and George wrote some of the best songs in that hypnotically dirgy vein.

Fuck the lot of you cunts. Maxwell ain't the best tune on Abbey Road sure but at the very least it makes for some lovely ear candy - Macca played the synth line in the last verse on a ribbon controller cos he's that fucking good.

And anyone who thinks Don't Pass Me By is better than Rocky Raccoon is a total cunt. Piggies is by far the biggest dog on the White Album followed by DPMB. Good Night is absolutely beautiful and if you don't like it I'll bet you're the kind of cunt who would change his/her mind on finding out Lennon wrote it.

Welcome to CaB, Mark Lewisohn.

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: LynnBenfield69 on October 02, 2019, 09:45:59 PM
Fuck the lot of you cunts. Maxwell ain't the best tune on Abbey Road sure but at the very least it makes for some lovely ear candy - Macca played the synth line in the last verse on a ribbon controller cos he's that fucking good.

And anyone who thinks Don't Pass Me By is better than Rocky Raccoon is a total cunt. Piggies is by far the biggest dog on the White Album followed by DPMB. Good Night is absolutely beautiful and if you don't like it I'll bet you're the kind of cunt who would change his/her mind on finding out Lennon wrote it.

I don't like Good Night.  At least not the official one, I thought the finger picked version was a lot more palatable.   It's just treacly schmaltz and the melody stutters where it should soothe.

Replies From View

Quote from: studpuppet on October 01, 2019, 08:44:10 PM
+1 for MSH here.

I love how she couldn't even be bothered to play the album in the correct sequence and then complained about a lack of structure.

She reads like a parody of a young person, right down to thinking everything before 1995 is ancient.  If you created her as a character you'd be criticised for being too on the nose and obvious.

Replies From View

Quote from: kalowski on October 02, 2019, 09:12:39 PM

Not a fan of Benign for the Benefit of Mr Kite?

Quote from: Replies From View on October 02, 2019, 10:41:38 PM
I love how she couldn't even be bothered to play the album in the correct sequence and then complained about a lack of structure.

She reads like a parody of a young person, right down to thinking everything before 1995 is ancient.  If you created her as a character you'd be criticised for being too on the nose and obvious.

That is a parody, isn't it?

Replies From View

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 02, 2019, 11:32:01 PM
That is a parody, isn't it?

Oh

Well then it is too on the nose and obvious I'm afraid

Quote from: Cardenio I on October 02, 2019, 09:32:06 PM
The version of Don't Pass me By on Ringo's latest album is a properly lovely tune. No, really.

Good instrumentation, but why does he bother with the autotune? His voice is perfectly charming as it is

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Blimey, it's not great is it? (the autotune, nice version otherwise)

There are probably half a dozen tracks on the White Album that I wouldn't miss if I never heard them again but neither of Ringo's tracks is among them. 'Savoy Truffle' would be, and maybe 'Piggies'.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on October 03, 2019, 09:44:42 AM
There are probably half a dozen tracks on the White Album that I wouldn't miss if I never heard them again but neither of Ringo's tracks is among them. 'Savoy Truffle' would be, and maybe 'Piggies'.

wha-a-a-t? "savoy truffle" is a magnificent track. that arrangement is perfectly lush & conjures the very image of the selection box being described. knowing that the entire song was aimed at eric clapton just adds to the enjoyment.
I don't think there's a great deal I'd change about 'white', but I'd've binned 'rocky raccoon' & 'obla-di' definitely, & perhaps replaced them with 'not guilty'. as for 'abbey road', similarly it's paul's weaker muckabouts that would go; by the time 'pepper' was finished, he'd put the songwriting in second place behind being an arranger/musical director.
'maxwell' isn't a bad piece of work, but it's a terrible fit for that album. 'another day' would've been better, I think.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

I used to be on an album sharing forum years back. People posting albums with some spiel acting like they were writing for Uncut etc, and the guy who uploaded The White Album had removed Revolution 9 entirely. No mention of it, renumbered Goodnight and that was it.

Proper brass neck, I mean I've listened to the track probably five times the whole way through in my whole life but for the guy to pretend it doesn't exist and insist everyone listen to the album HIS way was a bit of a cheek.

massive bereavement

My youngest is younger than her and is now into The Beatles. It wasn't down to me, the interest was sparked by a music lesson at school. They will still have some fans after we're gone.

Non Stop Dancer

Pre 1995 is fucking ancient to somebody born in 2003! I love the beatles now but likely would have had a similar reaction when I was 16 1995,when all I listened to was hip hop. Young cunts have no business business judging middle aged man music and we have no business judging theirs.

NJ Uncut

George's worst in the Beatles is worse than Ringo's worst

"Long Long Long," "It's All Too Much..."