Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:15:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Abbey Road 50th

Started by biggytitbo, August 11, 2019, 12:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJ Uncut

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on October 05, 2019, 10:05:36 AM
A Doll's House would have been a great title for The White Album (yeah, alright).  Why The Fabs thought they needed to distinguish themselves from fucking Family, for fuck's sake, is beyond me.  Fuck that warbling beard boy's jibber-jabber.

I getcha, the Family reason alone shouldn't have dictated it. Certainly not now, but certainly not then.

I do like A Doll's House. It evokes smaller parts making a whole, knickknacks, playfulness, fragility. When I picture the music within, it surely fits.

Head Gardener

this sleeve with no record is an odd one - anyone know more than the listing says?

buzby

Quote from: Head Gardener on October 16, 2019, 09:26:56 AM

this sleeve with no record is an odd one - anyone know more than the listing says?
It was an advert made by VW Sweden to cash in on the 50th anniversary - VW bought the Beetle from the original cover for $23000 at auction in 1986 for their Wolfsburg museum, and they took it back to the location to photograph it but parked properly to advertise VW's Park Assist system. They had a limited run of sleeves printed up with the photo so you could rehouse the new Abbey Road pressing as the 'Reparked Edition' and were selling them online with the proceeds going to a children's rights advocacy charity.
https://www.volkswagen-abbeyroad.se/
It's sold out tohugh, presumably due to it being at the apogee of VW Beetle and Beatles fandoms.

Head Gardener

you da man buzby, thanks!

a duncandisorderly

A Doll's House would have been a great title for The White Album (yeah, alright).  Why The Fabs thought they needed to distinguish themselves from fucking Family, for fuck's sake, is beyond me.  Fuck that warbling beard boy's jibber-jabber.

bollocks. family were a terrific band, in all of their various forms. besides, it wasn't about "distinguish", it was about "ah, fuck. someone else has thought of it."

"abbey road" was, iirc, what they came up with because they were too fucking lazy to go & do a photoshoot at the thing they'd originally called the album after, which was mt. everest.

as 'iconic' as it was, I suspect that 'whitey' was similarly a product of laziness & having pissed away too much on peter blake for 'peppery'.

Non Stop Dancer

A Doll's House is a fucking SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT name for an album.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Head Gardener on October 16, 2019, 09:26:56 AM

Is that the original Beetle? Why didn't they get the original number plate? And if it's a reshoot, why did they go to the trouble of airbrushing out the zig-zag road markings? I suppose the answer to that is that the car would be parked on them, and therefore breaking the law.

PinkNoise

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on October 17, 2019, 11:28:57 AM
A Doll's House is a fucking SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT name for an album.

One thing that has bugged me for years is the claim that the White Album was going to be called "A Doll's House, after Ibsen". Where did it start?

Lewisohn mentions it in the "Complete Beatles Recording Sessions" and MacDonald repeats it in "Revolution In The Head". But I've never seen the original mention of this story - unless it's buried in some ancient copy of "Beatles Monthly"?

In the Hunter Davies biography from 1968, he has it slightly differently:

Quote"When they came back, both John and Paul had written about six or seven songs each, enough for a new LP. They even came back with an idea for its format -the LP would consist of the songs from the soundtrack of a non-existent musical. It was originally going to be called Doll's House - Doll being a girl's name and her house being a house of pleasure, where all the people in the fictional musical would congregate. But they found that Doll's House had already been used as a title."

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=OTooyjl0qBsC&pg=PA397&lpg=PA397&dq=hunter+davies+%22doll%27s+house%22&source=bl&ots=uLiolz-myV&sig=ACfU3U1inEuBMAJAyepxLKXrchPpydfFSA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjK4YmmtKPlAhUBZVAKHeuvDmwQ6AEwDXoECAYQAg#v=onepage&q=hunter%20davies%20%22doll's%20house%22&f=false

I can see that working - there are enough "characters" on the White Album, if you include some of the other demos that didn't make it on - Mr Mustard, Polythene Pam, Bungalow Bill, Prudence, Rocky Raccoon...

kalowski

Just listening to the new mix of "The Long One" in disc 3 nearly had me in tears of joy in the middle of Tesco there. The clarity of their backing vocals was incredible, the ramped up interjections by Lennon on Polythene Pam were a delight, especially when he says, "Fab."
Dear Christ these lads were good.

studpuppet

QuoteIt was originally going to be called Doll's House - Doll being a girl's name and her house being a house of pleasure, where all the people in the fictional musical would congregate.

This sounds like a description of Alma Cogan? John was supposed to have had an affair with her, and went to her parties.

The 'Abbey Road' out-takes disc has had more plays in my car than I gave the 'Sgt Pepper' one. Ringo's drums alone are worth the price.

SteveDave

I didn't want to start a new thread for this absolute toilet but you all have to hear this:

https://youtu.be/HaDhX3D6Ii4

I've sat through all of Ringo's new LP and hats off to him, I said it was impossible to record an album for less than £100 but he's proved me wrongo.

Oh my goooooooooooood why would he do that. What is the point?

daf

Sounds like he's doing one of those auto erotic sex strangling things!

Take the orange out of your mouth, mate!

"Grow Old With Me" is also massacred on the album

But I guess it's a vanity project rather than something that could actually make money. If it weren't piggybacking on the Abbey Road reissue, I doubt it would get a release.

wosl

Quote from: SteveDave on November 06, 2019, 02:14:50 PMI didn't want to start a new thread for this absolute toilet but you all have to hear this:

Jerzy Bondov

I know he's named after a star but that is just him standing in front of Bowie's last album isn't it

Ohhhhhhh good idea for an album: Ringo does calypso covers of songs off Blackstar. It's called Blackstarr and the album cover is Ringo blacked up

wosl

The Bowie in turn being an inverted, gothed-up version of Neil Young's Hawks & Doves cover.

purlieu

Hot take: I prefer Music in a Doll's House to The White Album.

(Both are very good though.)

wosl

A real Fabs obsessive will know this (thinking about it, someone who's just a casual obsessive might know), but The White Album being the Beatles' ninth album, and the number nine being personally significant to Lennon, are there any stories of him badgering the others to call it No. 9?

Non Stop Dancer

I can't really explain why, but I never took to Abbey Road, despite very much liking The Beatles. This reissue has completely reversed that, what a fucking brilliant record, probably their best, all being said. It's that second half from Because onwards that does it, fuck me. So many uplifting bits.

Don't mind me, just catching up with the last 50 years of opinion, there.

Still have a mental block on Let it be though. One day, I'm sure.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on November 06, 2019, 08:23:20 PM
I can't really explain why, but I never took to Abbey Road, despite very much liking The Beatles. This reissue has completely reversed that, what a fucking brilliant record, probably their best, all being said. It's that second half from Because onwards that does it, fuck me. So many uplifting bits.

Don't mind me, just catching up with the last 50 years of opinion, there.

Still have a mental block on Let it be though. One day, I'm sure.

This is me really. I love Abbey Road, but half the time I stick it on at Mean Mr Mustard, even this remaster

Have only heard Let it Be in its entirety once or twice - the song I love but I prefer the non-Spector version.

The songs themselves might be the problem as the Naked version isn't all that gripping to me either. Plus with it being.. not quite canon, to me, I dunno, just doesn't seem as essential as Abbey Road.

Glad you've come round on Abbey Road. It's really a masterpiece. And the extras on this release are brilliant. Makes me wonder what the next projects are.... Revolver?

Non Stop Dancer

I really really really fucking hope it's Revolver.

kalowski

Quote from: SteveDave on November 06, 2019, 02:14:50 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread for this absolute toilet but you all have to hear this:

I've sat through all of Ringo's new LP and hats off to him, I said it was impossible to record an album for less than £100 but he's proved me wrongo.
Fuck me. I actually think that's the worst thing I have ever heard.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: NJ Uncut on November 06, 2019, 08:27:41 PM
Glad you've come round on Abbey Road. It's really a masterpiece. And the extras on this release are brilliant. Makes me wonder what the next projects are.... Revolver?

Almost certainly Let It Be next to go with the Peter Jackson film (which I keep forgetting is even coming) and the restored original film.

Should be a bunch of interesting extras on there (for a start I imagine the rooftop gig on its own LP would get plenty of people forking over their money) and hopefully the Naked version.

also since this is presumably the general Beatles thread for the moment, is anyone at all arsed about this singles box?
https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/the-beatles-the-singles-collection/

purlieu

Yeah, Let it Be was pretty much confirmed with the announcement of the film.

Given they had a two-albums-a-year period pre-Revolver, I reckon they'll probably give up on the 'anniversary' issues and just go from the top from here, one deluxe album a year for Please Please Me through, maybe ending with Magical Mystery Tour.

grassbath

I thought they might start again at Please Please Me in 2023 and then work their way up to Revolver with 60th anniversary editions. Maybe putting out the albums as paired deluxe editions to match the two album a year rate.

purlieu

It's possible. Maybe they'll do a deluxe Past Masters in 1962 to mark the 60th anniversary of their debut single, and I'm sure they'll stretch it out to 2028 with Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine. But what about 2021? They've started milking this cash cow, I don't think they'll want to stop, they'll just end up with milk everywhere and no one wants that.

Anthology 4, 5 and 6? Or Anthology 1, 2 and 3 deluxes?

Rich Uncle Skeleton

I think you'll probably be right, expanded Past Masters once they hit a gap between anniversaries.

Dragging the discussion back to what NJ posted a while back, what worries me is how they seem to be changing their official line on these remixes. Going from making a better stereo mix for modern ears to staying fairly close to the originals.

Edit - typed WAY more than I meant to so I'll just ditch most of it as I should probably reserve judgement til Revolver (which really does need a proper stereo remix) actually comes out but I'm not as excited for future remixes as I was when they first announced Sgt pepper.