Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:49:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Abbey Road 50th

Started by biggytitbo, August 11, 2019, 12:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Child Of Nature/Jealous Guy

Cardenio I

Quote from: daf on September 12, 2019, 08:11:40 PM
Right then, it's a month later - October 1969 - Assuming they're not hoarding the best ones for any solo project, What songs would they be likey to push forward for the next album?

John : Cold Turkey  /  Instant Karma  /  Working Class Hero  /  Mother
Paul : Maybe I'm Amazed  /  Junk Every Night  /  Man We Was Lonely
George : My Sweet Lord  /  All Things Must Pass  /  What Is Life  /  Isn't It A Pity
Ringo : . . . pfft . . dunno -  Coochy Coochy? / It Don't Come Easy

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
John : First two nailed on - deffo I recknock. Musically, God would be an instant pick - though probably unlikely with the Beatles line in it . . .  (or maybe . .  MORE likely?)

Paul - the first two are sound picks I think - Obviously, Paul is going to want to do Teddy Boy AGAIN, but it's going on a Beatles album over John's dead body, so that's that.

George : Too many to choose from, but excluding the Paul-baiting Wah Wah (or maybe, like Lennon's 'God', he'd include it just for that reason?) - just the three most instant tunes, plus he must have been keen on 'Isn't it a Pity' as he included two versions of it on his album!

Ringo : Not much choice here - but Coochy Coochy was a Ringo written B-side from 1969 (the flip of Beaucoups of Blues), so in it goes!  /   The other one - recorded in May 1970 with George , so might be bubbling around in his nut at this time.

I'd love to hear a non-Spector, Beatles wah-wah. Wall of sound totally flattens that song.

SteveDave

I tried this today.

Lennon- Instant Karma / Mother / I Found Out / Love
McCartney- Maybe I'm Amazed / Every Night / Junk / Oo You
Harrison- What Is Life? / Wah-Wah / All Things Must Pass / My Sweet Lord
Starr- It Don't Come Easy

Weak sauce for the most part on behalf of Paul and John.

studpuppet

Quote from: SteveDave on September 13, 2019, 02:58:33 PM
Weak sauce for the most part on behalf of Paul and John.

But that's the problem isn't it. They'd have seen the quality of George's new material and upped their games (maybe even returning to collaborative 'eyeball' songs to head him off at the pass).

Keep Yoko and Linda out of the fucking studio as well, hopefully.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on September 13, 2019, 06:55:54 PM

Yeah, bloody WOMEN.

Quote from: studpuppet on September 13, 2019, 04:04:20 PM
But that's the problem isn't it. They'd have seen the quality of George's new material and upped their games (maybe even returning to collaborative 'eyeball' songs to head him off at the pass).

Possibly, but I think in all likelihood it would've been another set of solo compositions played and arranged by The Beatles. An album featuring the likes of Instant Karma!, Mother, Maybe I'm Amazed, Junk, My Sweet Lord and It Don't Come Easy would be pretty damn special, no?

Anyway, it was never going to happen. George and John would want Spector to produce it, whereas Paul would stick with George Martin (Ringo would agree to whatever made everyone happy). And as stated earlier, I just can't imagine Paul standing by while George H was voted in as an equal partner.

Quote from: Cardenio I on September 13, 2019, 10:05:03 AM
I'd love to hear a non-Spector, Beatles wah-wah. Wall of sound totally flattens that song.

I really like Spector's work on ATMP, his huge, OTT, cathedral-like sound suits the material. Wah-Wah sounds great to my ears, a big fuck-off, quasi-psychedelic blast of beautiful noise.

grassbath

Here's a question - why wasn't Junk included on the White Album, given it was completely written and demoed around that time and clearly a strong song?

Goldentony

get Ringo singing that first track from the Yoko Ono version of the first Plastic Ono Band album

Cardenio I

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley
I really like Spector's work on ATMP, his huge, OTT, cathedral-like sound suits the material. Wah-Wah sounds great to my ears, a big fuck-off, quasi-psychedelic blast of beautiful noise.

Fair enough. Broadly speaking I like Spector's work on the album too (and love the sound he gets on Instant Karma), but I've always wanted to hear Wah Wah as an Abbey Road style Beatles jam, with the clarity of Paul's bass strutting about. Could be I'm listening to what it isn't rather than what it is.

Replies From View

I always felt that ATMP was over-produced.  To my ear many of the tracks would have been better if they'd stayed closer in spirit to how they sounded in demo form.

To me the Spector sound is just too much, on the whole.  It's not nuanced enough.  If you like your albums to sound like your lead singer is continually singing into an emptied radiator then it's great but after a while I just wish for the clean voice and acoustic sounds of the demo recordings, but recorded properly.

daf

Quote from: grassbath on September 14, 2019, 01:31:16 AM
Here's a question - why wasn't Junk included on the White Album, given it was completely written and demoed around that time and clearly a strong song?

Probably too many songs to choose from - and they can't put them all on, without compromising the sound quality - each side is over 22 minutes I think, and that's really a couple of minutes over the 18-20 ideal for cutting the optimum groove on vinyl (the longer it is, the quieter the cut).

I assume they thought they could always bring it up next time - if they had nothing else, and as Paul was still fecund with new songs right up until the end, he didn't need to bring it out of his back pocket . . . yet!

So, assuming they don't make the sides longer, and John and George weren't willing to ixnay one of their babies, Paul would have had to take one of his songs off. I'm guessing either Blackbird, I Will, or Mother Nature's Son - would have been candidates, as they're all similarly mellow and acoustic - and as they seem to have been going for a variety of styles on the album, too many of the same kind might have been the reason it got left off.

Think it all worked out in the end - what could have been over-shadowed by the strong competition in 1968, turned out to be a well needed highlight of the mostly under-baked 'McCartney' album in 1970.

purlieu

Quote from: daf on September 15, 2019, 05:23:35 PM
Probably too many songs to choose from - and they can't put them all on, without compromising the sound quality - each side is over 22 minutes I think, and that's really a couple of minutes over the 18-20 ideal for cutting the optimum groove on vinyl (the longer it is, the quieter the cut).
That didn't stop them making side one of Abbey Road 25 minutes though, did it?

Lennon felt McCartney was having too much dominance over album picks already and Junk would have stirred that hornet's nest further.

phantom_power

Has anyone used the digitals to stick Her Majesty back where it belongs?

Cardenio I

Think they made the right choice getting rid tbh. I suppose it's hard when I've heard the actual version a thousand times, but this way ruins the momentum - there's a sort of natural peak at Polythene Pam that Mean Mr Mustard builds up to and Bathroom Window comes down from.

phantom_power

I agree. Maybe if that was the first version we ever heard it would seem less abrupt but it really does ruin the flow

purlieu

I actually quite like it. I think it was probably the right decision to remove it, but I think it works. 'Her Majesty' immediately feels like it's got loads more energy.

NJ Uncut

Giles says in the new Mojo they didn't change (or "fix" depending on your view) the odd technical issues, eg hard panned drums and outros and shite like that.

I'm a wee bit disappointed. Go. Fucking. Nuts. If the purists don't like it, guess what? It already fuckin exists

SteveDave

The new mix of Come Together has some extra grunts and little guitar bits I can't remember hearing before.

The out-take's good too. John going from throat ripping to baritone when the take falls apart.

I'm looking forward to illegally downloading this new boxed set, listening to it once and then deleting it.

Replies From View

Quote from: NJ Uncut on September 20, 2019, 01:15:32 PM
Giles says in the new Mojo they didn't change (or "fix" depending on your view) the odd technical issues, eg hard panned drums and outros and shite like that.

I'm a wee bit disappointed. Go. Fucking. Nuts. If the purists don't like it, guess what? It already fuckin exists

I agree.  They released "remasters" of the original mixes ten years ago.  Anyone who needs that authentic attention to the limitations of the 1960s mixing equipment has already been catered for.  The only justification they have for dipping into this well yet again is if they're going to properly remix everything in the best way possible for today, like they did with the Yellow Submarine "songtrack" and the 1 compilation album.  It should have already been done as far as I'm concerned; in my view the 2009 remasters were a stupid compromise project, as the technical limitations of mixing in the 1960s was never a crucial aspect of the sound heard on their records.

Replies From View

Quote from: SteveDave on September 20, 2019, 01:47:18 PM
I'm looking forward to illegally downloading this new boxed set, listening to it once and then deleting it.

Same.  If any links pop up, please PM me!

NJ Uncut

Adverts for this on telly n all, out THE MORROW

Was re-reading Mojo while I ate my curry and it (the project, not the magazine) sounds OK. Still not happy about the lack of bravery; Giles tosses out some crap like "we remixed it with everything re-balanced but it sounded shite!"

Maybe let someone else have a crack? There's a whole WORLD of people who might find a way; does this nepotism really strike anyone as a plus?

They did do some cool things though; like the strings in Carry That Weight were recorded in mono so they re-amped it in the room they were originally recorded to make it stereo (basically recording it again to get the room sound)

So, cautiously optimistic, but the takeaway quote from Giles for me was "I heard a remix of Free's "All Right Now" and it had moved the snare and cowbell around and 13 year old me was well pissed off so it's something I'm seeking to avoid"

... Hmmmmmm, the surround mix sounds absolutely top; maybe that will get ripped and finagled into Abbey Road Remixed Proper?

purlieu

I bought the White Album reissue with the Esher Demos on the third disc, and for a casual listen, I didn't actually notice it wasn't the original mix on the main albums. I'd say the same for the Steve Wilson mixes on this year's Tangerine Dream boxset. These new mixes mostly just apply a touch more clarity in certain sections that are only really obvious if you're overly familiar with the originals.

NJ Uncut

There's apparently a mixing error on The End where about a minute in a solo jumps from left to right then back again

Oooh boy

shh

It's on the usual nautical based site.

I'm not really expert enough to comment on mixing stuff, but it's nice to hear the inter song banter, some member of the public complaining about noise.... Also, her majesty doesn't really work in the middle (as it were).

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on September 13, 2019, 06:55:54 PM

https://amoralto.tumblr.com/post/68911122415/january-10th-1969-twickenham-film-studios

Quote from: NJ Uncut on September 20, 2019, 01:15:32 PM

agreed. should've given it to brian kehew or someone who actually knows the studio, the music & the art-form. all martin-fils has is his name. macca must be so bored with all this, & he's not known for being sentimental about the period, so another flat remastering won't have got his attention. & 5.1 of stuff like this is daft. it needed something more radical.

the linked recording with 'her majesty' in the middle of the medley sounds good, but it still has that drums-all-over-one-side thing in a few places which diminishes their power; this is the sort of thing that wanted fixing.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on September 27, 2019, 02:11:51 AM
https://amoralto.tumblr.com/post/68911122415/january-10th-1969-twickenham-film-studios

Yoko jamming with John, Klaus and Ringo is fucking awesome, and that's just a fact Jacques. I love whatever Spector, John and Yoko have done to the latter's vocals too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCb0TsSIqI0

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 27, 2019, 02:46:52 AM

Yoko jamming with John, Klaus and Ringo is fucking awesome, and that's just a fact Jacques. I love whatever Spector, John and Yoko have done to the latter's vocals too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCb0TsSIqI0

I'd like to remix that with her a little bit quieter, though it does have a decent pre-faust/neu groove to it. [edit- comment likening it to 'metal box'-era PiL is absolutely bang on]

yeah, well aware that she didn't break the beatles up, & my interpretation of the "john! john!" screeching is that she's suggesting herself to replace the departed harrison. lennon's reaction to it, & his attempts to talk seriously (about clapton) throw a different light on the traditionally held view of their relationship & how it affected the band's work. there are other bits of the twickenham audio where yoko is perhaps more obviously constructive too, along with linda, while they guys are discussing their existential crises.