Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:44:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling: Probs mostly about AEW TNT debut and Smackdown on Fox

Started by peanutbutter, August 11, 2019, 06:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

See the existing thread is about to hit 100 posts. With each 100 page thread taking approx 5-6 months this'll probably take us through both those launches, which honestly seem like the two biggest events in US wrestling for as long as I can remember and they're happening damn near back to back.

Oh, and Summerslam is on tonight... anyone give a shit?

Deanjam

May as well christen the new thread with my terrible predictions. Winners in bold

Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Seth Rollins
Becky Lynch (c) vs. Natalya
Bayley (c) vs. Ember Moon
Kofi Kingston (c) vs. Randy Orton
Kevin Owens vs. Shane McMahon
Finn Bálor vs. Bray Wyatt
AJ Styles (c) vs. Ricochet
Goldberg vs. Dolph Ziggler
Trish Stratus vs. Charlotte Flair
Drew Gulak (c) vs. Oney Lorcan

sevendaughters

I don't think I could be roused for Summerslam. Let me have a look at the card and give an unfair preview of it.

Brock-Seth (Univ). Feels like the fans will dump on this one. All things being equal would be good but Seth is such an unfeasibly huge dork that a win won't help anyone.

Becky-Natalya (Raw Women's). Nattie is good, Becky a fine character, but this spells meh.
Bayley-Ember (Smackdown Women's). Sorry, don't care.
Kofi-Orton (WWE Champ). Feels very 2009.
Owens-Shane (Owens to quit if he loses). Smoke and mirrors. I like the stip.
Finn-Bray. Here's where the Bray shit starts to unravel. Can't believe they've gone back to this feud. Might be ok.
AJ-Ricochet (US). Should be good.
Goldberg-Ziggler. Squash.
Trish-Charlotte. DUD.
Gulak-Lorcan (Cruiser). A good match to be worked in a heatless dirge. Shame.

At least it feels concise, unlike a lot of PPVs!

up_the_hampipe

I hope Brock Lesnar eats Seth Rollins tonight and dumps out a better version of him tomorrow.

Ja'moke

Bliss & Cross vs. The Iconics, and Murphy v Crews added to the pre-show.

mikeyg27

Quote from: Deanjam on July 30, 2019, 04:18:44 PM
The thing to remember about Gedo's booking is he always has a reason for what he does.

To annoy Naito fans

Just forwarding this from the previous thread FOR SOME REASON.

It's mad that Roman and Bryan don't have matches at Summerslam, but it's also remarkably restrained of WWE to not force their building feud into the card. I'm sure there'll be a segment or two involving them.

peanutbutter

Quote from: hummingofevil on August 11, 2019, 10:44:42 PM
I was so looking forward to this thread title but mate...
😔

When I done the last one I figured it'd be outdated by Mania, didn't realise Vince was that invested in Corbin...

Quote from: mikeyg27 on August 11, 2019, 10:04:18 PM
It's mad that Roman and Bryan don't have matches at Summerslam, but it's also remarkably restrained of WWE to not force their building feud into the card. I'm sure there'll be a segment or two involving them.
Was stunned that they didn't force it in, have the two had a proper big singles match before? Seems like a pairing that could work very well.

up_the_hampipe

The Network stream is dogshit tonight.

Surprised to see Edge do the spear. I thought he couldn't do anything physical. Is that his first spear since retiring?

bgmnts

Philanthropy is the future of marketing might be one of the saddest sentences ever.

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 11, 2019, 11:41:51 PM
The Network stream is dogshit tonight.

Surprised to see Edge do the spear. I thought he couldn't do anything physical. Is that his first spear since retiring?

That Saudi money calling.

mikeyg27

Quote from: peanutbutter on August 11, 2019, 11:35:10 PM
Was stunned that they didn't force it in, have the two had a proper big singles match before? Seems like a pairing that could work very well.

They had a very good match before 'Mania 31 (and just after the clusterfuck that was the 2015 Rumble) when the Roman Hate Train had just started speeding out of the station and Bryan was still almost at his most beloved. It's going to be fascinating to revisit it.

up_the_hampipe

Matt Riddle is on the Watch Along show and said he's just had a tense encounter with Goldberg and it was picked up by those WWE 24 cameras.

up_the_hampipe

Mobius

Stuck at work. Sad I'm missing Riddle on Watch-Along.

How is the show so far?

rjd2

Quote from: Mobius on August 12, 2019, 01:35:02 AM
Stuck at work. Sad I'm missing Riddle on Watch-Along.

How is the show so far?

Only turned on when Goldberg was "wrestling" but nothing memorable whatsoever so far.

Deanjam

Chose sleep over Summerslam, and it looks like I made the right choice. But Wyatt using his head as a lantern is pretty awesome.

Will watch his match and Lesnar/Seth later.

sevendaughters

Naito is the modern day Chono. Doesn't need a title. Fans love him no matter what.

sevendaughters

shiiiiiiiit something happened on the G1 show that I won't spoiler but it could mean something INCREDIBLE. full goosebumps.

hummingofevil

Yes. I shan't spoiler it either but that crowd just lost their shit. Awesome.

sevendaughters

I had two storylines in my head that I thought that they would do (still could!) tonight and that was not one of them, but is better than both. Fuck. That was wild. Hope it means what I think it means.

hummingofevil

My god. Suzuki is 50! Fucking awesome. Please let this be build for London!

sevendaughters

that really looks like your London main event, Okada v Suzuki. the champ v the main guy in the territory over the last few years. makes sense and should be great.

Moribunderast

sevendaughters

yeah. the last 3 matches of the G1 final night was just perfect in terms of story, setting things up, and then paying something off - and also good wrestling! loved it.

up_the_hampipe

Moribunderast

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 12, 2019, 10:16:56 AM
yeah. the last 3 matches of the G1 final night was just perfect in terms of story, setting things up, and then paying something off - and also good wrestling! loved it.

I only watched the last two matches but have since gone back to watch a certain angle and, oh my... normally post-G1 is a quieter period for NJPW before they ramp up the build for Wrestle Kingdom but I am very interested in all the main stories and feuds they set up tonight. Great show.

sevendaughters

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 12, 2019, 10:32:22 AM
The Fiend's entrance at Summerslam if anyone missed it https://youtu.be/sx6ohfn_3VE

Pretty fuckin sick!

very entertaining but Bray has never wanted for conceptual hi-jinx and spectacle before stepping in the ring.

My son was livid with that match. He enjoyed the Fiend gimmick and the lantern, but he angrily called me to say "Finn was always going to lose! Why didn't he bring the demon king? He couldn't beat the old Bray Wyatt without it."

Little sod pulling the logic apart. And he's quite right too. Why, when you've got a demonic alter ego, would you face that without it? Plus, for the Fiend to beat the Demon would elevate Wyatt to another level as it did when Owens beat it in NXT.

God, he's on the cusp of working out the whole thing is fake isn't he? 28 years old he is, etc.