Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,325
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:46:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling: Probs mostly about AEW TNT debut and Smackdown on Fox

Started by peanutbutter, August 11, 2019, 06:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Having read the WON for many years, his ratings talk was always the weakest part of the analysis. He would say "this amazing main event actually lost a few viewers", and never once questioned the methodology, like maybe the handful of families who affected the ratings turned off because they wanted to use the toilet, or to avoid adverts, or for some entirely non-quality of wrestling reason. People may well have flicked between Raw and Nitro back in the day, but since then?

peanutbutter

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 15, 2019, 10:36:10 PM
Having read the WON for many years, his ratings talk was always the weakest part of the analysis. He would say "this amazing main event actually lost a few viewers", and never once questioned the methodology, like maybe the handful of families who affected the ratings turned off because they wanted to use the toilet, or to avoid adverts, or for some entirely non-quality of wrestling reason. People may well have flicked between Raw and Nitro back in the day, but since then?
His comments above seem oblivious to the idea that a lot more WWE viewers don't know what AEW is than the other way around.

Ja'moke

Quote from: peanutbutter on November 15, 2019, 11:29:19 PM
His comments above seem oblivious to the idea that a lot more WWE viewers don't know what AEW is than the other way around.

Yep. The Cultaholic lads brought that point up. A lot of the WWE purists probably have no idea there is another wrestling brand on TV at the same time. If AEW can up their advertising presence, they could probably steal more viewers.

Deanjam

Remember when we were told Fox wanted a more sports focused Smackdown? Jesus.

Mobius

A really boring Smackdown. The invasions have no impact, it's just the same shit on all 3 shows.

Ja'moke

The Bryan/Bray segment was pretty good though. I enjoyed the callbacks to when Bryan left the Wyatt Family.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Deanjam on November 16, 2019, 01:34:25 AM
The Universal belt is now blue.

Nice to see Bray Wyatt showing brand loyalty. Really consistent with the character.

Deanjam

peanutbutter

That's approaching Raw levels isn't it, except on a far bigger station?

Deanjam

Quote from: peanutbutter on November 16, 2019, 09:28:33 PM
That's approaching Raw levels isn't it, except on a far bigger station?

Pretty much. Raw ratings in the same period.

2019/11/11   -   2,057,000
2019/11/04   -   2,136,000
2019/10/28   -   2,133,000
2019/10/21   -   2,341,000
2019/10/14   -   2,279,000
2019/10/07   -   2,334,000
2019/09/30   -   2,570,000

Spode

They put the Roman Reigns vest thing on the dog costume and the dog yelping his theme tune reminds me of Dogtanian. Five stars.

I'd be more excited about this Roman Reigns dog thing if it wasn't inevitably going to end with them calling out Reigns and him not appearing because he's in the suit and he attacks them from behind.

Ja'moke

AEW has secured the rights to the Bash At The Beach name. The January 15th episode of Dynamite in Miami will now be nicknamed Dynamite: Bash at the Beach.

If it doesn't have Jericho sipping bubbly in a paddling pool then what is the point?

EDIT: Oh, and the January 22nd episode will air from Jericho's Cruise, which leaves from Miami.

Deanjam

I always liked the atmosphere at the Nitro spring break episodes. So long as someone gets thrown into water I'll be happy.

ads82

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 18, 2019, 05:09:01 PM
AEW has secured the rights to the Bash At The Beach name. The January 15th episode of Dynamite in Miami will now be nicknamed Dynamite: Bash at the Beach.

If it doesn't have Jericho sipping bubbly in a paddling pool then what is the point?

EDIT: Oh, and the January 22nd episode will air from Jericho's Cruise, which leaves from Miami.

Quite like the sound of this! Though I think the last time Raw tried anything different from their regular format was the disastrous Raw 25 show at the Manhattan Centre.

Deanjam

Wasn't that a disaster because they were concurrenty running the regular Raw show and nothing happened at the smaller venue.

ads82

Quote from: Deanjam on November 18, 2019, 06:07:30 PM
Wasn't that a disaster because they were concurrenty running the regular Raw show and nothing happened at the smaller venue.

Yeah that's right. I remember the ticket prices being very expensive for the show and the expectations were high due to the calibre of wrestlers due to appear. But the crowd started booing due to the lack of planning and the amount of downtime at the Manhattan show.

I'm sure the AEW shows will be better.

Ja'moke

Quote from: ads82 on November 18, 2019, 05:53:47 PM
Quite like the sound of this! Though I think the last time Raw tried anything different from their regular format was the disastrous Raw 25 show at the Manhattan Centre.

Jericho has confirmed the cruise show will be taped on the Tuesday. I think that's the smart decision, as I could see potential technical fuck ups trying to air live from the boat.

Timothy

Not a good look for any of them.

Anyone seen RAW?

Ja'moke

I've started watching some Stardom, in anticipation of their proper TV deal starting next year. Why have I only just started watching?! It's so good. I'm not quite clear on all the factions and title belts yet, but there's some fantastic wrestlers and characters.

Osmium

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 19, 2019, 04:24:18 PM
I've started watching some Stardom, in anticipation of their proper TV deal starting next year. Why have I only just started watching?! It's so good. I'm not quite clear on all the factions and title belts yet, but there's some fantastic wrestlers and characters.

This is mostly up to date and will get you up to speed: https://redd.it/dj67np

As for the belts, there are too many and most of them aren't worth much. The red and white are the main and secondary titles. Over the last few years it has been interchangeable which one has featured at the top of the card. It mostly depended on who held which at the time. Those two and the tag belts (black straps but not referred to as the black belts) are the most significant of the seven titles.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Osmium on November 19, 2019, 08:21:14 PM
This is mostly up to date and will get you up to speed: https://redd.it/dj67np

As for the belts, there are too many and most of them aren't worth much. The red and white are the main and secondary titles. Over the last few years it has been interchangeable which one has featured at the top of the card. It mostly depended on who held which at the time. Those two and the tag belts (black straps but not referred to as the black belts) are the most significant of the seven titles.

Thanks! I love that some shows start with a karaoke session too.

Mobius

Famous Mortimer

Mobius

Mobius

Seems Dave Lagana is a twat

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1196955757184462853?s=20

Apparently these episodes were all recorded months ago too, so not like there's an excuse for it to air

Moribunderast

Watching a stream of this WWE Backstage thing. It's an awful show. Punk is, at least, calling shit things shit. He's also hilariously trying to lure Paige into joining him in calling shit things shit. It's actually creating a very odd atmosphere. Not enough to get me watching regularly and nowhere near as entertaining as Bryan Alvarez's recent eviscerations of the WWE product but it's something, I guess.

EDIT TO ADD:

And that Cornette clip is fucked. I'm a semi-regular on the F4W/WON Board (which can be a haven of cunts and idiots) and I constantly get annoyed at people posting Cornette's every dumb opinion/comment as if it's deserving of discussion or relevance. That clip, however, is. He's a poisonous, negative prick with a real nasty edge and is incapable of catching up with the times. I'm sure some of his criticisms and observations about the industry are fair and decent but they lose any relevance or merit when coming from such a cunt.