Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:38:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling: Probs mostly about AEW TNT debut and Smackdown on Fox

Started by peanutbutter, August 11, 2019, 06:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanjam

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 25, 2019, 05:29:42 PM
I've just got done watching and I thought that was one of the better matches on the card.

I enjoyed the Japanese trio. Should just book a triple-threat between them.

Bryan Alvarez had a great rant about Corey Graves on last night's Observer that's worth seeking out if you don't like Graves. Speaking of Graves he's now taking shots at Meltzer.

Graves' tweet about Mauro and the exchange with Mauro's friend Frank Shamrock.

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 25, 2019, 05:35:05 PM
This has been the case for such a long time now. I'm worried that Triple H is just as stubborn as Vince in terms of who he wants to be a star.

Yeah, Shayna's reign has gone on too long and her matches always end the same way. Hopefully, it looks like Rhea is next in the line, and she would work much better in that monster role. Her look is fantastic, can back it up in the ring, and is already super over.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 25, 2019, 05:40:18 PM
Yeah, Shayna's reign has gone on too long and her matches always end the same way. Hopefully, it looks like Rhea is next in the line, and she would work much better in that monster role. Her look is fantastic, can back it up in the ring, and is already super over.

Hopefully Rhea gets a clean win, unlike what they did with Ember Moon.

The Graves/Mauro thing is difficult. I don't like Graves, he's such a knob on Twitter, and those bitchy tweets were a bad idea. But I also agree with what he was saying and I can't stand Mauro's commentary. Graves needs a punch in the face and Mauro needs to leave. That's my perfect world.

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 25, 2019, 05:46:02 PM
Hopefully Rhea gets a clean win, unlike what they did with Ember Moon.

I think the fact Rhea pinned Charlotte on Smackdown, then pinned Shayna at War Games (in a 4 v 2 situation), and pinned Sasha last night is a good sign that they're strongly behind her. So she should get a definitive win over Shayna when the time comes.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Deanjam on November 25, 2019, 04:30:48 PM
Kylie Rae has opened up about why she left AEW. Nothing scandalous.

Source Link: https://www.instagram.com/p/B5QvKbsJMrP/
I saw her work an indie in front of 200 people in Belleville, IL, just before AEW kicked off, and she was fantastic. Hopefully she'll be back on the national stage again soon.

sevendaughters

opened up = a vague statement that says nothing

but whatever

Ja'moke

It's more than she had to say, and I feel like she only did this because of shitty fans and low-tier dirtsheet writers kept stirring up nonsensical rumours and ridiculous accusations about why she left.

Ja'moke

Ja'moke

I watched the Stardom Halloween show last night, Mask Fiesta. Such a fun show. It reminded me of the first ever Progress Christmas Unboxing show, where it really made you want to be in the crowd there live.

Mobius

That Seth heel turn was alright, putting aside how utterly fucking moronic any sort of brand loyalty is. "I grew up supporting Monday Night Raw!!" Mate. And like going to other wrestlers "you let Raw down!" some of them have been on Raw for about a month...
Still hate him, but deluded locker room leader Seth could be good. Wish the entire roster would've just entered the ring and beat the piss out of him though. Randy giving him the wanker sign was amusing.

No sign of Becky. Weird.

Love KO but nobody but Austin should do the stunner... just looks shite.

magval

Quote from: Mobius on November 26, 2019, 10:01:02 PM
That Seth heel turn was alright, putting aside how utterly fucking moronic any sort of brand loyalty is. "I grew up supporting Monday Night Raw!!" Mate. And like going to other wrestlers "you let Raw down!" some of them have been on Raw for about a month...
Still hate him, but deluded locker room leader Seth could be good. Wish the entire roster would've just entered the ring and beat the piss out of him though. Randy giving him the wanker sign was amusing.

No sign of Becky. Weird.

Love KO but nobody but Austin should do the stunner... just looks shite.

magval

Any of yiz watch Stone Cold's interview with Undertaker? 1h40mins or so. Reasonably interesting so far. Don't think I've ever seen Taker out of character so comfortable.

peanutbutter

Quote from: magval on November 27, 2019, 07:44:29 PM
Any of yiz watch Stone Cold's interview with Undertaker? 1h40mins or so. Reasonably interesting so far. Don't think I've ever seen Taker out of character so comfortable.
Comfortable enough to start talking about white supremacy?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: magval on November 27, 2019, 07:44:29 PM

It's a great interview but there's so much I wish Austin asked about. He seems to base his interviews solely on memories and what he knows about the guy without much extra research. A lot of time spent talking about his beginnings in the 80s and the Attitude Era, but not enough on the last 15 or so years of his career which are much more interesting to look at. Not a single mention of Kane either.

Ja'moke

I don't know who The Butcher and The Blade are (and maybe their AEW debut could have been handled slightly better), but they have a bloody cool look! I'm expecting they'll be part of Marty Scurll's Villain Enterpises when he debuts. I mean, they just SOUND like villains (as does Allie's The Bunny).

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 28, 2019, 01:56:01 PM
I don't know who The Butcher and The Blade are (and maybe their AEW debut could have been handled slightly better), but they have a bloody cool look!

That's a generous way of putting it. Terrible execution. Why do the mask reveal when no one knows who you are? The silence was embarrassing for them. Also Excalibur's habit of acting like the audience knows every random indie wrestler that pops up, he needs to be aware that he's introducing most of this roster to a larger audience.

"Oh! No way! Womple Finkenbrook! The Demon of Denmark is here! He's got him in that infamous Copenhagen Clutch!"

Ja'moke

I wonder if it would have been better if Excalibur said he didn't know who they were either? To make it more of a mystery. Because I'm still intrigued by them regardless. But yeah, Excalibur just repeating "That's the Blade!" as if anybody knew what that meant was odd.

Timothy

First weak Dynamite episode imo. Pac vs Omega and the celebration were good but that was it.

Ja'moke

I enjoyed Jericho v Scorpio too, with Moxley turning up at the end in the crowd - great closing shot.

Also, Kris Statlander is impressive. Hopefully AEW can nail her down to a contract because she'd do wonders for their women's division.

I thought it was still a fun episode, but the quality of the previous episodes have been so high that just a "good" episode is going to seem weaker.

Deanjam

Kyle O'Reilly has my favourite facials in wrestling. All these lads are great.

mikeyg27

Adam Cole died for our sins again.

Probably the hardest I've laughed at anything in a long time. That's some fucking Looney Tunes physics.

kitsofan34

Quote from: mikeyg27 on November 28, 2019, 08:33:37 PM
Adam Cole died for our sins again.

Probably the hardest I've laughed at anything in a long time. That's some fucking Looney Tunes physics.

Haha! The piece de resistance is those developmental plants at the front desperately flailing to catch him. The look of panic on the guy in black's face as it's not unfolding as they practised.

hummingofevil

Well I missed the first 45 mins of Smackdown but what I have seen is awful. If rumours are true that WWE is planning a mass clear out it is the best thing they could do. Just like how WCW was actually the making of WWE as they could cycle out tired talent, a mass release is a fucking great idea; the main roster so much needs freshening up. Bring a dozen NXT to replace and rebuild NXT around likes of Scarlett Bordeaux, Toni Storm, Pete Dunne et al.

If they ditch a load of talent on mass AEW might pick up some of them but it would be a good look for WWE. If it is one or two acts wanting out (like, for example, The Revival) then fine but if they dump a load of talent then it's a smart trick. AEW having the choice of WWE cast off's makes no-one look good.

Of course there is a possibility that it works against them and AEW pick up a Steve Austin (it's Moxley isn't it) but I have to admit I am increasingly concerned about AEW's ability to apply the basics. Meltzer has covered it but if they not doing something smart with Pentagon and Fenix then I suspect they are already fucking them up. They should be mega stars.

Speaking of AEW... Jim Ross is totally within his rights to defend his calling of the Butcher reveal this week but Andy Williams (ha ha Andy Williams) is really good and I love him. Was ace in Bloodsport.

Deanjam

Quote from: hummingofevil on November 30, 2019, 02:24:18 AM
If rumours are true that WWE is planning a mass clear out it is the best thing they could do.

I don't think it's true.

Anyway, I think I'm done with the Fiend.

Moribunderast

Quote from: Deanjam on November 30, 2019, 03:00:09 AM
I don't think it's true.

Anyway, I think I'm done with the Fiend.

Yeah, the report I saw cited Bryan Alvarez as the source of this "news" and Bryan Alvarez tweeted in response that he never said anything of the kind - and as someone who listens to nearly all WOR and Figure 4 Radio episodes, I certainly don't recall him or Meltzer ever saying anything like that. In fact, they constantly say the exact opposite: that nobody will be getting their release anytime soon.

No discussion of Dynamite this week? I thought it was a bit of a clunker at times. The Jericho celebration, Pac/Omega and Scorpio/Jericho were all good but there were some awkward moments throughout the show, including possibly the worst debut I've ever seen for an act: "That's the Blade! And the Butcher!" Fucking WHO, Excalibur? And Allie is aligned with them as an evil bunny?

I love AEW thus far but there are certain elements of their storytelling that can be quite haphazard and weird. They seem to assume that everybody is aware of all indie acts and that everybody watches Being The Elite and AEW Dark. I think it should be a rule for them that anything important gets replayed or discussed on their TNT show. TBH, the really great stuff thus far has mostly involved Cody, Jericho and Moxley and they're all operating with massive creative control over their own stuff. The women's division and tag division stories seem quite unfocused and, far as I understand it, those divisions are respectively the purview of Omega and The Bucks. I think Cody needs to get more involved in the booking outside of his own angles (if he isn't) because the gulf between the stuff he's involved in and the stuff he isn't, from a storytelling standpoint, is quite large.

I will say, however, these Dark Order vignettes are really entertaining me and I think they could get the act over, which is good because those guys can certainly go in the ring.

gmoney

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 28, 2019, 02:09:10 PM
That's a generous way of putting it. Terrible execution. Why do the mask reveal when no one knows who you are? The silence was embarrassing for them. Also Excalibur's habit of acting like the audience knows every random indie wrestler that pops up, he needs to be aware that he's introducing most of this roster to a larger audience.

"Oh! No way! Womple Finkenbrook! The Demon of Denmark is here! He's got him in that infamous Copenhagen Clutch!"

Agreed. I got a big laugh out of this angle though. "Who is the masked man? It's an old bald bloke! And he's with Dick Strawbridge!" Ultimately I trust that Cody will put himself into a decent feud, but as a first chapter this was cack.