Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:19:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling: Probs mostly about AEW TNT debut and Smackdown on Fox

Started by peanutbutter, August 11, 2019, 06:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

Quote from: hummingofevil on December 05, 2019, 09:20:12 PM
Just watch all of Dynamite. It's starting to annoy me as much as WWE. I've just deleted my full rant as, TBF the way they telling stories around Moxley and Cody is ace, the Dark Order stuff is fun and makes a lot of sense and hopefully Fenix winning means that LB will face Best Friends and put an end to that nonsense by destroying them soon (next week please). And Bucks winning is good. And I don't really see what everyone else sees in Statlander but I am happy enough she is there. But...

Urgh. Sports entertainment tastic with the rest of it. Brandi Rhodes is an impressive human being and but a very average wrestler and why the hell would you not just have her and Cody's character being the characters that are so likeable in their real life. If it's some huge meta rib on Stephanie then I hope they are enjoying it but no-one else is. Literally the worst thing in WWE is Stephanie and HHH's desperation to be heel characters and corportate babyfaces and they are doing exactly the same thing. The fuck?

And I am so sorry to say but Nyla Rose gurning the place up does nothing for me. The women's division is a mess. Why the hell they didn't go all out for the Impact women I really don't understand. Scarlett Bordeaux and Killer Kross would be excellent additions to the roster (and Tessa obviously if she becomes available). I want to see ace Joshi/Lucha matches from the women's division.

Aren't all the Impact women tied into contracts for the foreseeable future?

Some people seem to really hate Nyla Rose. I don't get it. She's certainly not the best wrestler, but she's not the worst, and can put on a good match with the right opponent. Her match against Riho for the title was the show stealer on that first Dynamite show. And at least they're building a storyline for the women now... I hope Shanna goes over, as she's impressed me a lot.

The Brandi stuff. I can see why people don't like it. It's certainly not my favourite part of the show, but I'm fine with her being the manager for a heel stable, rather than wrestling herself. And I thought her promo was fine, and was potentially interesting with her invite to Statlander. But then the bit with the "fan" undermined the moment I felt.

AEW need to sign Jamie Hayter though if she's available. She's another of the stand outs from my Stardom watching, absolutely oozes charisma, and is the type a division could be built around.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Ja'moke on December 05, 2019, 09:27:34 PM
Aren't all the Impact women tied into contracts for the foreseeable future?

Some people seem to really hate Nyla Rose. I don't get it. She's certainly not the best wrestler, but she's not the worst, and can put on a good match with the right opponent. Her match against Riho for the title was the show stealer on that first Dynamite show. And at least they're building a storyline for the women now... I hope Shanna goes over, as she's impressed me a lot.

The Brandi stuff. I can see why people don't like it. It's certainly not my favourite part of the show, but I'm fine with her being the manager for a heel stable, rather than wrestling herself. And I thought her promo was fine, and was potentially interesting with her invite to Statlander. But then the bit with the "fan" undermined the moment I felt.

AEW need to sign Jamie Hayter though if she's available. She's another of the stand outs from my Stardom watching, absolutely oozes charisma, and is the type a division could be built around.

I don't "hate" any of them but it's just all a bit meh. It would all be solved if they actually did promos. Remember when AEW was announced and Alvarez was defending them against accusations of "not telling stories" when fans thought it would just be a 4* match promotion. The irony is NXT has the better matches and AEW's storytelling is a bit shit (outside of the main guys).

Ja'moke

Just different strokes for different folks I guess. I've been enjoying AEW's storytelling. The women's divison is definitely their weak point, but it does seem they're listening to criticism and now beginning to develop women's storylines. And again, they've had 10 shows. I don't expect everything to be perfect just yet.

Timothy

The person that came up with this needs some marketing lessons. Mentioning your direct competition 3 times in less then 20 seconds isn't smart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb9V0bb0ImU

Deanjam

Deanjam

I prefered the TLC card when there were no matches announced.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Timothy on December 06, 2019, 03:30:12 PM
The person that came up with this needs some marketing lessons. Mentioning your direct competition 3 times in less then 20 seconds isn't smart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb9V0bb0ImU

Yep, that was bad. That's TV network suits for you. Some major disconnect there.

I might have mentioned it before, but I'm a big fan of Survivor (and run a website about it), and they had a big issue with the commercials this season. The CBS marketing team kept including clips in the commercials that spoiled outcomes. This is something which has been a problem for years, to be honest, but it got so bad this season that the Survivor host/showrunner got on Twitter and aired his frustrations, saying that after almost 20 years on the air, you'd think the show would actually be allowed to control the content of its commercials.

As for TLC, looks to be very much a throwaway PPV. But I'm happy that we're getting Funhouse Bray Wyatt in an actual match.

Ja'moke

Luke Harper and Sin Cara have been granted their releases from WWE.

kitsofan34

Get the fuck in there. Harper needs the first plane to New Japan stat.

Ja'moke

The Ascension released too... I suspect there is more to come. Mike Kanellis, surely?

hummingofevil

Is it really beyond WWE to be doing these releases to troll Bryan Alvarez? After he spent ages a couple of weeks ago (including getting Forbes to retract an article they published quoting him) correcting everyone who falsely claimed he had reported WWE is having a mass-clear out they.... have a clear out. :)

In indie news the GCW show looks fun (got way too much wrestling to catch up on and have been watching the AAA show on youtube but this is something I want to dig out.

https://twitter.com/KVR216/status/1203805369337819138?s=20

I remember The Iron Demon, Shane Mercer from the GCW shows in Mania week and he is one strong fucker. He's wrestled Logan Stunt tonight and from the clips it looks as if he has just repeatedly launched him into orbit. Not quite my dream Lesner/Marco Stunt match but it will do for now.

Deanjam

The January 4 & 5 Tokyo Dome shows have their full line ups. An argument can be made that splitting it over 2 nights has lessened the epicness of one mega show, but it will certainly make it much easier to digest.

January 4:

Kazuchika Okada vs. Kota Ibushi IWGP Heavyweight title
Jay White vs. Tetsuya Naito IWGP Intercontinental title
Will Ospreay vs. Hiromu Takahashi IWGP Jr. title
Lance Archer vs. Jon Moxley in a Texas deathmatch IWGP United States title
Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa vs. David Finlay & Juice Robinson IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team titles
Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano and YOSHI-HASHI vs. KENTA,, Bad Luck Fale, Yujiro Takahashi & Chase Owens
SANADA, EVIL, Shingo Takagi and BUSHI vs. Zack Sabre Jr., Minoru Suzuki, Taichi & El Desperado
Jushin Thunder Liger, Tatsumi Fujinami, The Great Sasuke & Tiger Mask vs. Naoki Sano, Shinjiro Otani, Tatsuhito Takaiwa and Ryusuke Taguchi

January 5:

IWGP Heavyweight champion vs IWGP Intercontinental champion
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Chris Jericho
Losers of IWGP & IC title matches from previous night have a match
KENTA vs. Hirooki Goto NEVER Openweight title
Zack Sabre Jr. vs. SANADA for the British Openweight title
Archer or Moxley vs. Juice Robinson IWGP United States title
El Phantasmo & Taiji Ishimori vs. SHO & YOH IWGP Jr. Tag Team titles

Think Ibushi & Naito will win their matches, with Okada getting his Tokyo Dome win back over White from last year in the losers match. Then Ibushi to unify the titles.

Should be a couple of cracking shows.

mikeyg27

Quote from: Deanjam on December 09, 2019, 08:54:02 PM
Think Ibushi & Naito will win their matches

Oh, poor naive child (seriously though, if not now, when?).

The opening night seems a bit latter-stages-of-the-G1 with a load of tag fluff before the title matches, but that 2nd night looks insane. I'm fascinated by the politics at play in the booking of Jericho-Tanahashi.

I don't know if it happens at WK but Ibushi is probably going to get an IWGP run at some point this year as a reward for signing full time.

gmoney

Quote from: Deanjam on December 09, 2019, 08:57:24 PM
Oh and this bullshit.

Aye, big Dave should have got his own announcement.

Surely to fuck the NWO are already in there?

Famous Mortimer

Hogan has been in since 2005, Nash since 2015, and X-Pac was inducted last year as part of D-X.

Spiteface

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 10, 2019, 08:05:53 PM
Hogan has been in since 2005, Nash since 2015, and X-Pac was inducted last year as part of D-X.

So, like how Ric Flair's in on his own and as one of the 4 Horsemen, essentially.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Spiteface on December 10, 2019, 08:10:28 PM
So, like how Ric Flair's in on his own and as one of the 4 Horsemen, essentially.
It happens a bit in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame too. All the Beatles are also in as solo artists (although Ringo, really?); there's a ton of other people (Stevie Nicks, Eric Clapton etc.) who are in as solo acts as well as part of their most famous band.

Ja'moke

Bobby Roode and Primo Colon suspended for wellness policy violations. I'm surprised Primo was even around to be tested.

daimoniac

tell you what folks - NORTH wrestling was bloody amazing on sunday - the uk indy scene is mint at the moment

sevendaughters

Quote from: daimoniac on December 10, 2019, 09:09:37 PM
tell you what folks - NORTH wrestling was bloody amazing on sunday - the uk indy scene is mint at the moment

who are their guys, where do they run, paint a picture with your words

hummingofevil

As long time Toon resident and MEW goer I've never given North a go (I really like the shit Northumbria Uni Society wrestling promotion too) but will have to start going as it's increasingly the only thing around. Primate is genuinely one of my favs and Amir Jordan is ace and when you get a good mix of locals and the Scottish lot from ICW North East wrestling is always, at worst, a laugh.

Deanjam

WWE Backstage rating down slightly, despite Punk being back on the show.

November 5 -- 49,000 viewers
    November 12 -- 100,000 viewers
    November 19 -- 180,000 viewers
    November 26 -- 121,000 viewers
    December 3 --138,000 viewers
    December 10 -- 127,000 viewers

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Deanjam on December 12, 2019, 12:30:46 AM
WWE Backstage rating down slightly, despite Punk being back on the show.

November 5 -- 49,000 viewers
    November 12 -- 100,000 viewers
    November 19 -- 180,000 viewers
    November 26 -- 121,000 viewers
    December 3 --138,000 viewers
    December 10 -- 127,000 viewers

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 13, 2019, 10:39:05 PM
I think a lot of his fanbase stuck with him and kept him in the public eye (to whatever extent he was) because he was the guy who didn't go back; now he's just the same as everyone else. I predict a pop for his first week in this new job and then it'll be back in the ratings toilet in a couple of weeks.

Ja'moke

AEW and NXT got the exact same amount of viewers this week.

AEW: 778K (0.28 18-49) / NXT: 778K (0.24 18-49)

Wrestling, Star Wars, The Labour Party, all things I use to support. You could probably add James Bond to that list soon.

Deanjam

The Observer Hall of Fame issue is out.

WRESTLING OBSERVER

HALL OF FAME BALLOTING RESULTS

Votes needed for induction into the Hall of Fame: U.S. and Canada modern 180; U.S. and Canada historical 130; Japan 139; Mexico 103; Rest of the world 101

PERFORMER    VOTES    PCT    2018
LOS MISIONEROS DE LA MUERTE    122    71%    57%
ULTIMO GUERRERO    116    68%    55%
GEDO    155    67%    ----
VILLANO III    109    64%    55%
DR. WAGNER JR.    108    63%    49%
JIM CROCKETT SR.    136    63%    50%
BEARCAT WRIGHT    132    61%    48%
Don Owen    178    59%    37%
Stanley Weston    128    59%    32%
Jun Akiyama    136    59%    55%
Sputnik Monroe    126    58%    47%
Kenny Omega    122    53%    49%
Sgt. Slaughter    152    51%    50%
Karloff  Lagarde    86    50%    47%
Blanchard/Anderson w/Dillon    146    49%    43%
Johnny Saint    80    48%    44%
Ted Turner    143    48%    ----
Larry Matysik    99    46%    35%
Junkyard Dog    135    45%    48%
Big Daddy    75    45%    35%
Enrique Torres    93    43%    37%
Edge    125    42%    50%
Kota Ibushi    98    42%    16%
Akira Taue    94    41%    52%
Tetsuya Naito    83    36%    21%
Los Brazos    61    36%    25%
Johnny Rougeau    75    35%    33%
Rollerball Mark Rocco    59    35%    27%
Jim Crockett Jr.    74    34%    29%
Grand Wizard/Abdullah Farouk    73    34%    ----
James Melby    71    33%    ----
Jackie Pallo    53    32%    25%
Dave Brown    94    31%    22%
Jim Johnston    93    31%    ----
Morris Sigel    63    29%    ----
June Byers    62    29%    26%
Ricki Starr    48    29%    12%
Yoshiaki Fujiwara    64    28%    38%
Randy Orton    80    27%    35%
Blackjack Mulligan    56    26%    13%
Cima    60    26%    24%
George Kidd    43    26%    ----
Matt & Jeff Hardy    74    25%    ----
Bob Caudle    76    25%    ----
Caristico    41    24%    18%
Tomohiro Ishii    56    24%    ----
Rocky Johnson    50    23%    17%
Hayabusa    53    23%    32%
Cowboy Bob Ellis    47    22%    18%
Bill Goldberg    67    22%    31%
Wild Bull Curry    46    21%    16%
Otto Wanz    35    21%    16%
Lord James Blears    44    20%    12%
Archie "Mongolian Stomper" Gouldie    44    20%    23%
C.M. Punk    59    20%    12%
George Scott    41    19%    30%
Von Brauners w/Weingeroff    41    19%    21%
Rick Martel    56    19%    15%
Huracan Ramirez    33    19%    16%
Chavo Guerrero Sr.    38    18%    19%
Kerry Von Erich    55    18%    19%
Spyros Arion    30    18%    11%
Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan    40    17%    17%
Billy Joyce    29    17%    15%
Killer Karl Kox    29    17%    22%
Dominic DeNucci    27    16%    15%
Kendo Nagasaki    27    16%    13%
Trish Stratus    46    15%    20%
Ultimate Warrior    42    14%    14%
Meiko Satomura    33    14%    ----
Mario Milano    24    14%    12%
Jimmy & Johnny Valiant    25    12%    ----
Stephanie McMahon    32    11%    ----
Don Fargo    23    11%    11%

Less than 10% of all votes from region and dropped from next year's ballot: Jose Lothario, Dick Slater, George Steele, Volador Jr., Naoki Sugabayashi

Dropped from next year's ballot due to the 15 year/50 percent rule: None

Will be dropped next year if not getting at least 50 percent: Don Owen, Jun Akiyama, Sgt. Slaughter, Kerry Von Erich, Chavo Guerrero Sr.

Added to next year's ballot: Ole Anderson, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Brian Pillman, Joe Higuchi, Takaaki Kidani

sevendaughters

lot of thoughts that I haven't got brainspace for right now but one of those years where many rights have been wronged and weak parts of the HOF addressed. there is a real blindspot for Mexico and Europe and there's some good additions.

surprised that Akiyama just missed out and that Omega is anywhere near getting in at the moment.

hummingofevil

Decided to buy Warrior Wrestling. It's a gymnasium set up and crowd is lukewarm,the commentary is good and card is fully stacked. Opening match was really good and mainly looking forward to Tom Lawlor/Suzuki . Will stay up unless this bottle of Sailor Jerry's finishes me off first.