Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:51:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling: Probs mostly about AEW TNT debut and Smackdown on Fox

Started by peanutbutter, August 11, 2019, 06:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

I wish WM remained a PPV, it would've actually retained a sense of importance that way.

Selling to a network does fuck all for it, I think. Might be okay for one year

up_the_hampipe

I think the Cody/MJF storyline is very over and it's pretty well executed for the most part, but I can't help but get Triple H vibes when Cody books himself this way, especially how he's talked about. This week's lashing segment, he was either trying to paint himself as Jesus Christ or Tommy Dreamer, and it's probably much closer to the former. Still, fair fucks to him, it looked brutal.

He has a following, who follow in a state of blind devotion. So the nod to Jesus is apt.

weekender

I enjoyed the bit when Darby Allin found a cardboard cut-out of Chris Jericho hugging Sammy Guevara, and took a flamethrower to that picture.

This is good, because in order for this to happen, at some point Chris Jericho must have hugged Sammy Guevara in a photographic studio for some reason.

I love wrestling logic.

Moribunderast

Quote from: weekender on February 08, 2020, 03:26:17 AM
I enjoyed the bit when Darby Allin found a cardboard cut-out of Chris Jericho hugging Sammy Guevara, and took a flamethrower to that picture.

This is good, because in order for this to happen, at some point Chris Jericho must have hugged Sammy Guevara in a photographic studio for some reason.

I love wrestling logic.

If memory serves, Sammy gave the cut-out to Jericho as a present during a segment a while ago. I remember because their faces in the photo made me laugh quite a bit.

Re: Cody - I have seen (minimal) backlash against him from various people online, comparing him to HHH and Jarrett booking themselves to be the focal point, even when not champion. To me, this would only hold water if he wasn't a) regularly in the best segments and b) working to get his opponents over as well as himself. MJF is skyrocketing to the top of the card on the back of this feud and the title feud with Jericho really elevated the belt in my eyes. I'm also not sure what people critical of Cody want from him. To not be in good segments? To not push himself despite the fact he's arguably the best promo in the company and can seemingly bring out the most emotion in the fanbase? I'm more than happy for Cody to have his big personal grudge feuds going alongside the World Title feud/s as the main thing in the show.

Meanwhile, I hear WWE are doing Goldberg vs. The Fiend at Bloodmania. Do they pivot to Reigns vs. Goldberg at 'Mania? That match would at least have some draw to it. At this stage I look at the card and build for 'Mania and AEW Revolution and 'Mania seems like a weak house show card in comparison.

Timothy

Mania card is looking pretty damn good so far imo.

Drew VS Brock
Edge VS Orton
Flair  VS Ripley
Lynch VS Bayzler

Can't wait.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Deanjam on February 06, 2020, 10:53:20 AM
There's so few people in wrestling who are good on Twitter. Just the most thin-skinned arsey pricks. Soon I'm gonna be left just following the New Day lads.

https://twitter.com/zacksabrejr/status/1225747825830453248

The mixed tag from the cruise that they showed on AEW Dark this week was fantastic.

hummingofevil

So I've gone mad on the second (?) screens. Watching AAA, UFC and got Carly Rae on youtube all running together (and Cab and Twitter). We living in the fucking future. The AAA is ace (again). It really is my fav wrestling promotion at the moment.

For those of you who don't know, but like me, love the politics of wrestling AAA have got Rush, Dragon Lee, Stong Hearts and the AEW lot all joining in. That a big deal given their previous lives as CMLL/NJPW/ROH talent. It's a parallel universe to AEW but Kenny's best matches of last year were in AAA. It takes a few shows to get into the vibe but Big Mami is the best face in all of wrestling and you have likes of Vikingo (think Will Osprey but better) pulling off the best actual in-ring stuff in the world but in context of the family "friendly"  (or should that be "family" friendly) style.

It so good.

up_the_hampipe

Seeing lots of positivity about the first XFL showing, some football fans even saying it's the most fun they've had watching a game in a long time. Maybe they can actually be the cool NFL alternative this time!

The talent pool must be there because a lot of elite NFL dropouts tend to excel in other sports.

hummingofevil

NJPW running Madison Square Garden same night as NXT Takeover is in Boston. Day before Summerslam. Bold move. My instinct tells me that are going to struggle to shift tickets but would love to see them sell out.

This means a London show at end of August is unlikely. I wonder if we getting the first night of an October G1.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Deanjam on February 09, 2020, 08:42:01 PM
How was Mox/Suzuki? I have high expectations.

Brilliant. Most of the show is. The fucking leathered each other. Hiromu and Dragon Lee was probably even better. Seeing Osprey live last year really made me appreciate how much pure athleticsm is the key to this style; the speed, the intensity, the cleaness of the offence and the fucking insane cardio these guys have. If you had to really make me pick I think Dragon Lee is even better on those criteria (with Vikingo in AAA/Impact being up there with him). Just brilliant performers.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Deanjam on February 09, 2020, 09:23:03 PM
Sounds good.

Watching it back now. The crowd reactions actually make me question my previous opinion. It is made me laugh quite a bit this match. I couldn't split either of them. High 4 stars each.

hummingofevil

Watched the whole thing now and last three matches twice. Genuinely one of the best shows I have ever seen. Utterly brilliant.

I also caught up on a load of the Road To matches today so watched about 8 hours of wrestling (after watching two AAA shows last night) and it has ALL been at least good to amazing at best.

Anyone who bitches about modern wrestling being shit is a fucking idiot.

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on February 09, 2020, 08:57:39 AM
The talent pool must be there because a lot of elite NFL dropouts tend to excel in other sports.

US sport is so skewed toward corporate protectionism and monopolisation that it seems to be genuinely confusing to folks over there that multiple high level American football leagues could co-exist

Ja'moke

WrestleMania 37 will be held at the SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California, next year, and they're doing the "WrestleMania Goes Hollywood" theme again, which they previously used for WM21. This better mean we're getting movie spoof hype videos again! (also the logo looks great)

up_the_hampipe

Shame that Miz and Morrison already blew their load with the Once Upon A Time In Hollywood parody.

Spode

The MeToo movement finally nabbing McMahon would be an apt main event

Ja'moke

One of the Raw writers definitely saw Britt Baker curb stomping Yuka's tooth out on Dynamite last week didn't they? And decided to up it with biting.

up_the_hampipe

Ja'moke

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ja'moke on February 11, 2020, 11:08:56 AM
Interesting way to find out a new kink, eh.

Shirtless Drew McIntyre in jeans was my true awakening.

Moribunderast

I'm watching New Beginning. About to watch Moxley/Suzuki but god damn if Lee/Hiromu wasn't one of the most thrilling matches I've ever seen. I screamed so often! And to think, all they had to do to build such drama was have Hiromu break his neck one time...

Moribunderast

And after the screaming of Hiromu/Lee, Moxley and Suzuki just had me grinning ear to ear for twenty minutes. Lovely maniacs.

Should say I thought Jay White and Sanada was quite good too.

And now we get Moxley/ZSJ! Oh New Japan, you have my heart.