Author Topic: Wrestling: Probs mostly about AEW TNT debut and Smackdown on Fox  (Read 97999 times)

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
Re: Wrestling: Probs mostly about AEW TNT debut and Smackdown on Fox
« Reply #2190 on: February 11, 2020, 05:03:12 PM »
In case anyone's interested in the XFL, here's a good article which talks about the rule differences and so on.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/2/10/21131721/xfl-week-1-cardale-jones-bob-stoops-winners-losers

Gurke and Hare

• Fold water. Roll into small cubes.
« Reply #2191 on: February 11, 2020, 08:26:10 PM »
And now we get Moxley/ZSJ! Oh New Japan, you have my heart.

If I weren't going straight from work, I'd consider making a "HUMAN FUCKING UDON NOODLE" sign for the RevPro show on Friday. I wouldn't do it, because that would require effort, but I'd definitely thinking about it.

(There's a ridiculous part of me that hopes Mox will turn up at the show.)

Moribunderast

• What is your place in my glorification?
« Reply #2192 on: February 12, 2020, 03:42:38 AM »
Naito vs. Hiromu at the Anniversary Event! Can a ring contain that much charisma?

boki

• Defecranium
« Reply #2193 on: February 12, 2020, 10:07:18 PM »
Jimmy Havoc's getting some well-earned hype going into the AEW PPV  from about three minutes into this vid, coming off the back of his clean submission win on Dark. Nice to see, as he's been mainly jobbed out so far.

kitsofan34

• everybody's clever nowadays
« Reply #2194 on: February 13, 2020, 04:13:32 PM »
Very good AEW Dynamite this week, it's firmly back on track recently. Interesting to see just how many big hosses AEW are recruiting, Brodie Lee, Jeff Cobb, Lance Archer and Brian Cage.

Bit premature to ask maybe but what do you think, is Moxley winning at Revolution?

Ja'moke

• based on the novel Push by Sapphire
    • Inside Survivor
« Reply #2195 on: February 13, 2020, 04:53:10 PM »
Yeah, since the new year, AEW has really been on top form. They've fixed pretty much all of the major weak points. I mean, they've managed to get me excited for a Dustin vs Hager PPV match somehow, so you know they're doing something right!

Very excited to see Jeff Cobb land in AEW. I really enjoyed his work as Matanza in AEW.

As far as Moxley, yes, I think he'll win at Revolution.

« Reply #2196 on: February 13, 2020, 07:03:22 PM »
Yeah, it's ridiculous. Jack Swagger vs Goldust as one of the main draws on a very strong looking PPV card. In 2020. Sounds like a mid-level indie event. And yet I'm really looking forward to it.

« Reply #2197 on: February 14, 2020, 12:07:50 AM »
From moment I saw her I thought Britt Baker had heel vibes(who the fuck likes a dentist) and she invoking Kurt Angle vibes for me and her promos are fucking ace. Nothing a wrestling crowd hates more than someone who is genuinely talented in other disciplines. :)

The heat from that crowd was as good as anything I have heard since that Elias Seattle show (which as great as it was was just a bit of cheap heat for homer sports crowd). They have struck absolute gold with her and Tony.

I watched the Riho-Nyla match last night and as good as it was I couldn't help think that Nyla was a bit clunky at times. Just watching it back again (I'm finishing off what I missed and it doesn't matter - that match was a cracker). I just hope that that isn't the last we have seen of her. She can go back to Stardom and have a great run their for a while and then come back when it's time.

I'd give Nyla a long run now (which maybe opens up the idea of Jericho losing his title sooner than we originally expected) and build up Hiraku as the chasing babyface. Slipping BB into a heat feud (exactly like is working with Cody and MJF) will be no bad thing. Slow and steady.

Tell me again about how AEW women is shit. Ha ha. Nonsense.

« Reply #2198 on: February 14, 2020, 01:07:07 AM »
Dynamite is so good right now. Just finished watching the rest of it and it's all so much fun. I still don't quite feel MJF in ring but have just cheered at the TV at the end of that Moxley match invoking Jake vs The Model in that blindfold match. As a kid I fucking loved that shit and that little call back had me popping to fuck. Excellent stuff.

Jeff Cobb is a great addition. He can be a bit boring at times but when he is in the right match with the right opponent he is brilliant.

The Elephant in the room is that Jacob Fatu is the real Hoss star that is unsigned to either AEW or WWE. Now there is a fucking star. I suspect he will end up in WWE given the family ties but it begs the question why he is not already there. He is brilliant.

Moribunderast

• What is your place in my glorification?
« Reply #2199 on: February 14, 2020, 02:51:40 AM »
I thought Sammy Guevara couldn't top the other week's salmon pants in terms of looking like a total douche but he sure proved me wrong this week with his entire Calvin Klein briefs on display above jeans riding hilariously low. He's such a great dickhead.

Thought Jeff Cobb's debut at the end came off really well.

« Reply #2200 on: February 14, 2020, 12:32:45 PM »
I think someone wise has had a word with J Fatu and told him to become a star outside WWE before going over. If he went as a kid they'd turn him into another Strowman.

« Reply #2201 on: February 14, 2020, 09:32:03 PM »
As someone who hasn't really bothered with NXT since it's 2 hour expansion I have been sucked in by the Broserweight road trip. More of that please. Very good.

« Reply #2202 on: February 15, 2020, 02:17:05 AM »
As someone who hasn't really bothered with NXT since it's 2 hour expansion I have been sucked in by the Broserweight road trip. More of that please. Very good.

They are great together. Right now I'd put the titles on them for a while until Dunne's inevitable betrayal.

up_the_hampipe

• Crowd appeaser
« Reply #2203 on: February 15, 2020, 03:57:34 PM »
In terms of emotional impact:

Otis & Mandy date segment > Cody lashing segment

BeardFaceMan

• Safely ensconced on top of the bathroom cabinet
    • mixes'n'mashes
« Reply #2204 on: February 15, 2020, 04:33:31 PM »
When did the cutter become the new superkick ie what used to be a finisher is now as common as a bodyslam? There seems to be several in every match I see now.

« Reply #2205 on: February 16, 2020, 04:08:16 PM »
Meltzer reckons Undertaker's opponent for Mania will be AJ Styles. Probably one of the few guys who could carry him to a decent match these days.

« Reply #2206 on: February 16, 2020, 04:13:51 PM »
He also reckons Cena will face Elias. How exciting.

« Reply #2207 on: February 16, 2020, 04:24:04 PM »
NXT TakeOver: Portland is tonight. No idea why they changed this from the usual Saturday to Sunday. Probably Vince. Anyway, looks the usual great show.

up_the_hampipe

• Crowd appeaser
« Reply #2208 on: February 16, 2020, 05:21:09 PM »
Probably on a Sunday because there's no main roster PPV? Not everything has to be crazy ol' Vince.

He also reckons Cena will face Elias. How exciting.

I'll be surprised if Cena wrestles at all. If he does, probably just a quick squash.

magval

• Magnum Valentino
« Reply #2209 on: February 17, 2020, 12:06:11 AM »
"The Broserweights", like. Thought this awkward portmanteau shit was years behind us.

Doesn't even work, like. It's two fucking points removed from the word 'cruiserweight'. It's a pun, twice removed.

Mobius

• he who hingeth aboot getteth hee haw
« Reply #2210 on: February 17, 2020, 12:14:59 AM »
Yeah it's stupid. They should've been called Joint Manipulation

Stuck at work but half watching Takeover on my phone. Someone post if something interesting happens

magval

• Magnum Valentino
« Reply #2211 on: February 17, 2020, 01:02:40 AM »
First wrestling I've watched live in ages owing to a free month of the Network.

How come the live stream is PERFECT (constant HD, no buffering) but I get real trouble with archive stuff? Any easy reason for why that might be? Real frustrating watching 1999 Raws with that bloody wheel breaking up the flow of Rocky's promos on Cole's hair.

Ja'moke

• Inside Survivor
« Reply #2212 on: February 17, 2020, 01:27:07 PM »
Mostly enjoyed TakeOver Portland, but the last few minutes of Ciampa v Cole was ridiculous. The amount of kick-outs and no selling is getting to insane levels in NXT now. I was saying this to my mate last night, it wouldn't be so bad if it was a one match and done... then sure, go ahead and hit every move and kick out of everything. But with NXT, they usually have at least two or three matches in a series, so where do you go from there? The Cole v Gargano matches last year were a prime example of this.

Really enjoyed the rest of the card though, especially Tegan v Dakota and the tag title match.

up_the_hampipe

• Crowd appeaser
« Reply #2213 on: February 17, 2020, 04:08:46 PM »
It's been an issue in wrestling for a while now. Every time wrestling fans rave over a certain match, I know what it's going to be. Whether it's NXT, Japan or even some main roster WWE matches, they've found a formula that gets crowds going crazy and they're hammering it. Kick out after kick out, multiple finishers, over the top dangerous looking moves, no selling, no breathing room, don't stop, they're checking their phones quick do something anything more more more!!! Eventually fatigue will set in, I'm just surprised it didn't happen long ago.

Ja'moke

• Inside Survivor
« Reply #2214 on: February 17, 2020, 05:10:55 PM »
I feel like AEW, who was definitely guilty of that too, have really toned it down in recent weeks. Finishers especially are very protected in AEW... I'm thinking Moxley's Paradigm Shift, Jericho's Judas Effect, Darby's Coffin Drop, Omega's One Winged Angel. They've stepped back on the Canadian Destroyers now too, with the one used last week leading to the finish of the match.

« Reply #2215 on: February 18, 2020, 04:30:12 PM »
I do enjoy don't-give-a-shit Randy.

« Reply #2216 on: February 19, 2020, 11:02:00 AM »
Mostly enjoyed TakeOver Portland, but the last few minutes of Ciampa v Cole was ridiculous. The amount of kick-outs and no selling is getting to insane levels in NXT now. I was saying this to my mate last night, it wouldn't be so bad if it was a one match and done... then sure, go ahead and hit every move and kick out of everything. But with NXT, they usually have at least two or three matches in a series, so where do you go from there? The Cole v Gargano matches last year were a prime example of this.

Really enjoyed the rest of the card though, especially Tegan v Dakota and the tag title match.

Agreed. It worked for the Lee-Dijakovic match because those big lads are as much about their resilience as they are their offence so no selling made sense, but, yeah, I kinda tuned out from Balor-Gargano and Ciampa-Cole for that reason. Which is a real shame as these were dream matches on paper.

Ja'moke

• Inside Survivor
« Reply #2217 on: February 19, 2020, 02:18:15 PM »
Jericho is maybe my favourite wrestler of all-time, but he's a fucking stupid idiot.

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
« Reply #2218 on: February 19, 2020, 04:07:05 PM »
For fuck's sake. I wish these truther fucks would bother paying attention to the evil shit governments all over the world are doing to their own people in plain sight and care a bit less about dreaming shit up.

« Reply #2219 on: February 19, 2020, 10:57:49 PM »
Raw had a strong rating until it died a death in the third hour. Seth still burning down the viewership.

Tags: