Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:52:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling: Probs mostly about AEW TNT debut and Smackdown on Fox

Started by peanutbutter, August 11, 2019, 06:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliggg

A free 3 month subscription to the WWE Network. Put any 10 numbers in as the phone number, just don't start with 0 and pick other as the cell phone carrier and it should work. It works for new and former subscribers.

https://www.cricketsweepstakes.com/wwenetwork

up_the_hampipe

So part 1 of Dark Side of the Ring's episode on Benoit has been put online https://vimeo.com/399331089

Disappointly (but not surprisingly) it continues the narrative of Benoit being this wonderful, kind, harmless family man, using Eddie's death (and by the looks of part 2 the concussion stuff) to paint this picture of a man who snapped over the course of one meticulously planned weekend of murder-suicide. It wasn't Chris Benoit, he didn't know what he was doing, he was possessed by a CTE demon that took control of his body. Doesn't bring up the numerous stories of his nasty treatment to other wrestlers, as well as Nancy filing for divorce AND a restraining order against him in 2003. I'd expect this kind of bias from a WWE documentary but not something that's supposed to be more legit.

peanutbutter

I guess it's a fucking nightmare to hit the middle ground, the dude was a fucking psycho but the combo of his body falling apart (the head injuries definitely played a part, in fairness), loads of his contemporaries dying and the system totally failing him deserves some sympathy too.

Think it's one of those tricky cases where the mainstream narrative is so far behind in the details that they're hitting the points the wrestling community was hitting within the first few years of his death.

amateur

Quote from: Ja'moke on March 21, 2020, 01:23:48 PM
His one this week was great too. "Has been social distancing for months". Along with Adam "Handwash" Page, of course.

"Has Been Drinking"

Spode

peanutbutter

Mania taped from the performance centre is just mental, isn't it? Couldn't they just have merged it with Summerslam or some shit

BeardFaceMan

Yeah, AEW made the right choice not to have the Blood &Guts match, you need a crowd for that to work. At least theyre showimg a bit of common sense and not having a 7 hour mentalfest all in one go. Them taping the RAW after Mania doesnt bode well though, the only reason that became a thing was because of the crowd, I dread think how WWE will handle 'Bizarrro' RAW with no crowd there to shit on them.

Timothy

Mania isnt going to be 7 hours in one go. Its gonna be two nights.

madhair60

Won't Roman Reigns have to come off the card as he has only just recovered from Leukaemia?

BeardFaceMan

You would have thought so, people have been saying he should have been self-isolating for a while already because his health puts him at risk of dying if he gets it. But he's a professional wrestler so fat chance of that, the show must go on and all that.

up_the_hampipe

Funny that Matt Hardy has gone from WWE right before they tape this Wrestlemania, as I've been hearing rumours of them shooting it to look cinematic, with the Taker/AJ match perhaps taking place in a graveyard. Sounds like this Mania is going to be a very long Final Deletion.

Ja'moke

Street Profits vs Andrade & Garza for the Raw Tag Titles and Aleister Black vs Bobby Lashley added to WrestleMania for some reason.

Mobius

Gurke and Hare

I've just realised we were supposed to have AEW in the UK this year weren't we? *sigh*

Ja'moke

Glad to see WWE took note from AEW and moved the hard cam to face the stage (and got rid of the seats).

Also, great promo from Rollins.

Quote from: Ja'moke on March 23, 2020, 09:25:11 PM
Aleister Black vs Bobby Lashley added to WrestleMania for some reason.

Forgive me, because I'm sure I've told this story before, but TNA were in the middle of a UK tour when Hogan and Bischoff came on board. Due to some disagreement with the new management, Lashley quit the morning of the Bournemouth show. When we arrived at the BIC, there were tons of signs up saying "Due to unforeseen circumstances, Bobby Lashley will not be appearing tonight. Please contact the box office for refunds." They started announcing the same message over the tannoy and everyone in the foyer cheered, getting louder and louder each time they made the announcement.

When we got into the hall, Jeremy Borash comes out to welcome us all and apologises for Lashley not being there and the roof absolutely came off the place. Only Kurt Angle got a bigger pop all night.

Spode

Haven't caught a few of the WOR episodes lately, has Dave addressed the fact that he clearly brought coronavirus into America yet? Fellas been coughing non stop since the Tokyo Dome

hummingofevil

Jim Valley has addressed that. Claims he was ill before he arrived in Japan. In Jim's defence it sounds like his underlying health problems who make him serious risk of dying if he did get it so was likely something else. Jim does point out that the US épicentre of this is a mile from his house mind. :)

Moribunderast

Ah man, the first part of that Benoit doco is really hard going. I feel so bad for Vicki and Chavo. I actually didn't realise Eddie died in Chavo's arms - I just thought Chavo had discovered him. Fucking grim.

What's with Jericho in his interviews? Speaking with a blocked nose and looks almost soma'd out?

Ja'moke

Moribunderast

Quote from: Ja'moke on March 26, 2020, 01:42:49 PM
Jericho cut a promo on a drone and it was great.

'Twas. And the Exalted One was Vince McMahon all along, Austin!

Spode

Quote from: Ja'moke on March 26, 2020, 01:42:49 PM
Jericho cut a promo on a drone and it was great.

Didn't mind that bit at all, but I'm not having that teleportation stuff. I don't think I've ever really got the broken gimmick in all honesty.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Spode on March 26, 2020, 03:24:28 PM
Didn't mind that bit at all, but I'm not having that teleportation stuff. I don't think I've ever really got the broken gimmick in all honesty.

Me either. What accent is he supposed to be doing? Hes still a charismaless void, that promo was awful, Jericho cut a better promo on a fucking drone. Didnt like the teleportation, but it might have worked better if Jericho kept his head still so it looked less like a poorly-edited video package.

hummingofevil

The teleportation stuff was fine. If you don't want Matt Hardy to be actually magic just imagine he has set up a bit magic trick before the show. It's a like how they have exposed Dark Order as not actually being a religious cult but that they are using cultism to brainwash people. Subtle but I approve.

AEW was very good for what it was I thought. Jericho cutting a promo on a drone is something none of us will ever forget and for what should really be throwaway shows in the circumstances they really are trying.

Speaking of which I enjoyed Dark this week. The no crowd doesn't affect the vibe of these shows as much as you know they not really meant for huge crowd reactions so fair play to the talent involved. I does all feel a bit icky if someone get ill though. Is it worth it?

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: hummingofevil on March 26, 2020, 05:37:05 PM
Speaking of which I enjoyed Dark this week. The no crowd doesn't affect the vibe of these shows as much as you know they not really meant for huge crowd reactions so fair play to the talent involved. I does all feel a bit icky if someone get ill though. Is it worth it?

Dark had a bit of a feel as if they'd been round all the local indie shows with a big butterfly net scooping up jobbers didn't it?

I do wonder if they've maybe tested everyone before letting them take part in the show at the moment.

Also, Kip Sabian's dog!

Old Thrashbarg

It's so good seeing Jake back looking well and cutting decent promos.