Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:21:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling: Probs mostly about AEW TNT debut and Smackdown on Fox

Started by peanutbutter, August 11, 2019, 06:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hummingofevil

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 02, 2020, 01:47:48 AM
Somewhat disappointed by the angles that Dark Side of the Ring is choosing to take this season. I get that it's probably the most entertaining, but it's not factual. The Benoit episodes leaned heavily on the excuses his friends have made for him over the years, instead of properly examining him as a person. This week's episode on New Jack seems to be following the story as it's laid out by the man himself, who is a notorious bullshitter. They also seem to edit the Vic Grimes fall to make it look like Grimes did not cooperate at all. No doubt Jack is an unhinged individual, but he's also one of the biggest workers in the business.

We can all feel free to ignore Meltzer but the fact he just let loose that the main producer of the series is  Pritchard fan maybe reveals something of the editorial of the show. but TBF anythin Vice produces should be viewed with scepticism. Of the ones I have seen the bullshit detection is pretty obvious and they have been really good stand alone shows so far. Who knows what is really the truth but the Benoit one seems pretty legit and the New Jack one get the VIBE of New Jack (as far as I know-  I didn't watch at the time) but there is enough* in the production to make any thinking audience at least question the narrative they presenting as truth to make the worthwhile.

*I fucking loathe the modern** documentary style of all these Netflix and murder docs that presents ANY alternative to the accepted truth that we suddenly have to accept as the reality.

**It started with Nick Broomfield and then Louis Theroux and then it's a free-for-all. Fucking fake news idiots.

(A good documentary should confuse. Present possibilities not a diatribe).

Moribunderast

That Vanguard 1/Jericho segment on Dynamite had me howling. So many little touches, from Jericho wearing pants in the hot tub to the tiny shirt to the way he said "Baby" and, of course, the HOUNDS. It's a total cartoon but it's very entertaining and since Jericho isn't currently the champion it doesn't diminish proper main event stories by having him and Hardy engage in absolute(ly fun) nonsense.

Gurke and Hare

Is anyone else trying to watch Dynamite this morning and finding that it buffers constantly to the point of being effectively unwatchable?

petril

Quote from: Moribunderast on April 02, 2020, 09:55:24 AM
That Vanguard 1/Jericho segment on Dynamite had me howling. So many little touches, from Jericho wearing pants in the hot tub to the tiny shirt to the way he said "Baby" and, of course, the HOUNDS. It's a total cartoon but it's very entertaining and since Jericho isn't currently the champion it doesn't diminish proper main event stories by having him and Hardy engage in absolute(ly fun) nonsense.

Jericho's one of the very few who can do the most daft and silly stuff, yet still be believable as a serious threat. He can roll with it all.

Ja'moke

"Release the hounds!" had me genuinely laughing out loud.

Very good episode of Dynamite. I'm glad they put a few guys at ringside again, it just helps so much with the atmosphere to have a little bit of noise going on. I'm also loving the Brodie Lee segments.

Deanjam

Quote from: Deanjam on March 10, 2020, 08:54:41 PM
Post PPV show. Road to Wrestlemania season. Edge's return. Raw numbers are appalling. There's a good chance it dips under 2 million at some point this year.

Extenuating circumstances for sure, but it dipped under 2 million this week.

Gurke and Hare

I keep rewatching "Release the hounds!", and the one just standing there on the step wagging its tail slays me every single time.

magval

Sandman in the latest episode episode of Dark Side of the Ring has further morphed into Bender's human from from that Futurama 'what if?' episode. I would have thought as he got older the effect would be lessened, but no - it's intensified.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Deanjam on April 02, 2020, 05:00:07 PM
Extenuating circumstances for sure, but it dipped under 2 million this week.

Ratings dropping big style for AEW and NXT too. Last night's Dynamite had 685k (0.25). NXT didn't rank in the Top 50. At this point it feels like the empty arena shows are actively hurting them. It might be best for both companies to just take a break, which, let's face it, they should be doing anyway given everything else in sports and entertainment has shut down.

Spode

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 02, 2020, 09:27:19 PM
Ratings dropping big style for AEW and NXT too. Last night's Dynamite had 685k (0.25). NXT didn't rank in the Top 50. At this point it feels like the empty arena shows are actively hurting them. It might be best for both companies to just take a break, which, let's face it, they should be doing anyway given everything else in sports and entertainment has shut down.

I can't believe they're still going with new shows. Putting aside the fact that they could potentially kill their talent by going on, even from a ratings point of view there's no positives to carrying on. WWE could get away with running old RAWs/PPVs and still draw decent numbers. AEW could just relaunch with the equivalent to a PPV on TV to get their audience back and they'd both be back to where they were before the empty arena shows. Christ, they're both funded by billionaires. Take a break, fellas.

Ja'moke

WWE has apparently taped up until the post-WM Raw, and AEW has at least taped two weeks more of shows. I imagine after that both will go on a break. Florida is now on full lockdown, and Georgia (where they taped AEW this week) is soon to be the same.

Timothy

None of the crowdless shows work. Both WWE and AEW have been trying but all shows were bad. Great that they tries though.

Mania is going to be something of an interesting trainwreck. I atleast gope that they dont do the traditional Raw after Mania debuts. If they have Velveteen Dream debut on RAW in an empty arena I'll never be watching WWE again.

That said: Who are up for a CnB Mania Live watch this weekend? Could be fun.

Ja'moke

The first empty arena Dynamite was one of their best shows I thought. They really made it work with having the likes of MJF and Spears at ringside gambling on the matches. The faces on the other side. The promos, the debuts, the matches. It all still worked and in a weird way felt special.

Obviously that novelty wears off when every week is crowdless, and especially as every week after that they cut down on more talent and crew. I still enjoyed this week's Dynamite, but I can see why people, especially your more casual fans, are not into the empty arena shows.

Moribunderast

Hahahaha. HHH does interviews saying they get from Roman/Goldberg to Braun/Goldberg in a "unique" way - and that unique way turns out to be announcing it via graphic on the go-home Smackdown in a manner akin to mumbling under your breath. Held off long as they could to try and swindle PPV buyers and then basically tried to hide the actual announcement. Absolute carnies.

Moribunderast

Quote from: Timothy on April 04, 2020, 09:06:46 AM
Didnt he mean during Mania itself?

I took it to mean there was an angle to transition from Roman to Braun, a way to explain the sudden change in match. Instead they just didn't explain anything and briefly showed a graphic and then never talked about it again. If they do an angle at 'Mania to explain it then it's almost dumber because they've already abruptly changed the match with no reason given. WWE Creative at it's finest!

Predictions -
1   Rhea Ripley (c) vs. Charlotte Flair   Singles match for the NXT Women's Championship
Ripley wins in a star making match.

2   Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Drew McIntyre   Singles match for the WWE Championship
Brock retains.

3   Goldberg (c) vs. Braun Strowman   Singles match for the WWE Universal Championship
Strowman wins.

4   Becky Lynch (c) vs. Shayna Baszler   Singles match for the WWE Raw Women's Championship
Lynch wins controversially.

5   John Cena vs. "The Fiend" Bray Wyatt   Firefly Fun House match
Wyatt wins.

6   Bayley (c) vs. Lacey Evans vs. Naomi vs. Sasha Banks vs. Tamina   Fatal 5-Way Elimination match for the WWE SmackDown Women's Championship
Sasha Banks wins leading to a Banks vs. Bayley feud.

7   The Undertaker vs. AJ Styles   Boneyard match
Styles wins.

8   Kevin Owens vs. Seth Rollins   Singles match
Rollins wins.

9   The Miz and John Morrison (c) vs. The New Day (Big E and Kofi Kingston) (with Xavier Woods) vs. The Usos (Jey Uso and Jimmy Uso)   Triple Threat Ladder match for the WWE SmackDown Tag Team Championship
Not sure this one will happen. New Day wins.

10   The Street Profits (Angelo Dawkins and Montez Ford) (c) vs. Austin Theory and Angel Garza (with Zelina Vega)   Tag team match for the WWE Raw Tag Team Championship
If you've watched the Wrestling documentary about Evolve on Vice you might have noticed Austin Theory. One to watch. Theory and Garza win.

11   Aleister Black vs. Bobby Lashley (with Lana)   Singles match
Black wins.

12   Elias vs. King Corbin   Singles match
Corbin wins.

13   Edge vs. Randy Orton   Last Man Standing match
Edge wins.

14   Sami Zayn (c) (with Cesaro and Shinsuke Nakamura) vs. Daniel Bryan (with Drew Gulak)   Singles match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship
Bryan wins.

15   The Kabuki Warriors (Asuka and Kairi Sane) (c) vs. Alexa Bliss and Nikki Cross   Tag team match for the WWE Women's Tag Team Championship
Kabuki Warriors retain.

16   Otis vs. Dolph Ziggler (with Mandy Rose)   Singles match
Ziggler wins. Thanks to Tucker turning on Otis. Ziggler forms a stable with Tucker and Sonya Seville.

sevendaughters

My Dad Is A Heel Wrestler is on NJPW World now. It's pretty good!

Deanjam

peanutbutter

My predictions for wrestlemania:

- By spreading it out over two nights they manage to make the longest Mania ever despite attempts to keep it short
- By spreading it out over two nights they manage to totally lose any sense that it's an _event_ and it gets about the same level of traction online as a regular episode of raw
- By spreading it out over two nights they manage to still book it like one long show and day 1 results in being hugely neglected overall
- They'll waste one return that they should've just held back on
- There will be an attempt to present the event as a brave patriotic stance against the evil foreign virus that has invaded the US
- It'll get at most 2 pages of comments in this thread (or 5 if New Jack is online)

Deanjam

Deanjam

They're always unnecessary to me.

Anyway the tag titles are up for grabs in a 3-way SINGLES match. How creative.

Timothy

Night one:

Rolllins vs Owens

Undertaker vs AJ Styles in a boneyard match

Becky Lynch vs Shayna Baszler

Sami Zayn vs Daniel Bryan

Morrison vs Kofi vs Jimmy Uso ladder match

Elias vs King Corbin

Kabuki Warriors vs Bliss/Cross

Goldberg vs Braun

Ja'moke

Quote from: Deanjam on April 04, 2020, 11:09:36 PM
They're always unnecessary to me.

Anyway the tag titles are up for grabs in a 3-way SINGLES match. How creative.

Isn't it a three way singles ladder match?

Deanjam

Timothy

Zayn vs Bryan and the tag singles match should be good. But thats it for tonight.

Deanjam

Quote from: Timothy on April 04, 2020, 11:10:47 PM
Night one:

Rolllins vs Owens

Undertaker vs AJ Styles in a boneyard match

Becky Lynch vs Shayna Baszler

Sami Zayn vs Daniel Bryan

Morrison vs Kofi vs Jimmy Uso ladder match

Elias vs King Corbin

Kabuki Warriors vs Bliss/Cross

Goldberg vs Braun

Can't say I'm really looking forward to anything in this situation, but Bryan/Zayn could be good. I'm also intrigued at the bullshittery of the boneyard match.

Timothy

I wonder how Morrison feels about his return to WWE. He had a lot of ideas in his Chronicle episode. Dreaming about Mania and the Rumble. Then he was a bit disappointed about his debut in the backstage scene with Miz.

After that he got fed to Lesnar in the Rumble and is in a weird tag singles match at Mania in an empty Performance Center.

hummingofevil

I'm intrigued enough to give it a go. Just signed up to the Network for free just to see how easy it was to do. Dead easy. Used same details as before but my other email address. Free. Who the hell would pay for this?

I think we will have a good idea how good it will be after 5 mins. If it was me I would go crazy and shoot it like action movie fight scenes. If it just normal wrestling on location then we in for a long two nights.