Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:24:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling: Probs mostly about AEW TNT debut and Smackdown on Fox

Started by peanutbutter, August 11, 2019, 06:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BRen

Quote from: Mobius on April 06, 2020, 03:18:17 AM
^ yeah it wasn't really a match, but creative wise it was another level
Yeah, just force of habit classing it as a 'match'.

Mobius

Deanjam

Drew wins. Both men's world title matches were pretty nothing matches. Still at least the belt is on someone who might do something with it.

Ja'moke

Happy for Drew. But just another finisher spam match. Needed the crowd that one.

hummingofevil

Well that was a thing. I have to be honest and admit that I didn't like any of the no crowd matches on either night as experiences but Bryan and Sami, the end of Seth Owens and Charlotte Ripley were good workouts. The two films were the highlights by far. Where wrestling goes from here fuck knows?

Ja'moke

Boneyard match and the Funhouse "match" were definitely the highlights of both nights. But I also enjoyed the ladder match, Owens v Rollins, Rhea v Charlotte (despite result), and I thought the women's tag titles and the SD women's title were really solid. And Otis and Mandy getting their moment.

Biggest let down was Edge v Orton.

Spode

Loved the firefly thing, hated the boneyard match. Probably because the former wasn't presented as a match, I couldn't be doing with watching Styles and Undertaker and being asked to believe it was a recording of an actual fight. Felt him popping up behind him came off as even more stupid as a result.

The firefly funhouse on the other hand, bought into it all. Hopefully Bray sticks to something similar from now on. There's really no point in him having in ring stuff apart from maybe building feuds by appearing and just throwing his hand in someone's gob.

sevendaughters

hated everything I saw. artless backyard wrestling with aspirations of overlong film violence. cancel the fucking fed until crowds can return.

orton-edge genuinely outer worlds of new badness. benoit suicide references? jeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ.

Timothy

Happy with the change in commentary team. Cant stand JBL.

Flair vs Ripley:
Decent match. Great how Rhea sold the leg injury. Interesting winner. Opens up a lot of great feuds in NXT and the possibility of NXT wrestlers on SD and Raw.

Lashley vs Black
Boring match, great winner. Love Aleisters finisher. Wish Black would go to AEW.

Ziggler vs Otis
Fun. Otis is a fun character. This would have been awesome in front of a big crowd with the happy ending for Otis.

Edge vs Orton
This just didnt work in the PC. What a waste of a return. Boring. I would have ended it after the two rko's and would have postponed this match until they can have crowds again. Started great and then it went on and on and on and on. Almost an hour if Im correct. Also didnt help that commentary was awful during this match.

Tag match was dull.

Firefly Funhouse match was absolutely awesome. Loved it. One big Funhouse skit. Cena is hilarious and Wyatt is a great talker. He would be awesome in a role as manager.

Drew as champ. Awesome but dull match.

Overall it was an ok show, especially in these circumstances. Really missed the huge crowd that makes it a spectacular. Weird that we now mostly have great champs (Braun, Drew, Sami) but not much to look forward to. Still dont get why they didnt postpone Mania. They wasted a lot of great moments because the show had to go on.

Ja'moke

Quote from: sevendaughters on April 06, 2020, 09:15:03 AM
hated everything I saw. artless backyard wrestling with aspirations of overlong film violence. cancel the fucking fed until crowds can return.

orton-edge genuinely outer worlds of new badness. benoit suicide references? jeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ.

The deconstruction of John Cena was art.

sevendaughters

Timothy

It was definitely a deconstruction of Cena and his career.

sevendaughters

neither of you know what deconstruction means, it's fine, move on

Ja'moke

How was it not? It was a trip back through Cena's career and his many gimmicks and applying new meaning to them. It showed us how Cena was created and recontextualised what his many gimmicks were actually about, highlighting their contradictions and hypocrisy.

sevendaughters

deconstruction is a theory that looks at the relationship between text and meaning

you're talking about unpacking, metatextuality, and recontextualisation.

Ja'moke

Well, whatever it was, it was one of the most creative things WWE has done in a long time.

hummingofevil

Quote from: sevendaughters on April 06, 2020, 01:34:43 PM
deconstruction is a theory that looks at the relationship between text and meaning

you're talking about unpacking, metatextuality, and recontextualisation.

To be fair Derrida did write this:

In a classical philosophical opposition we are not dealing with the peaceful coexistence of a vis-a-vis, but rather with a violent hierarchy. One of the two terms governs the other (axiologically, logically, etc.), or has the upper hand": signified over signifier; intelligible over sensible....

...The hierarchy of dual oppositions always reestablishes itself. Deconstruction only points to the necessity of an unending analysis that can make explicit the decisions and arbitrary violence intrinsic to all texts.

Which pretty much sums up the replies to Alvarez's Wednesday night wars ratings tweets every week.