Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:57:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling: Probs mostly about AEW TNT debut and Smackdown on Fox

Started by peanutbutter, August 11, 2019, 06:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanjam

Mobius

Holy shit that 'that' G1 moment. Sometimes wrestling can still give me shivers

up_the_hampipe

I'd like to say that I've never enjoyed Dolph Ziggler as much as I did last night, especially calling Goldberg "dipshit". I'm not entirely sure what the point was, but it was entertaining nonetheless.

See here https://streamable.com/td36x

hummingofevil

Has everyone seen it yet? Can we talk about it yet?

Personally, whilst that moment was incredible I am not sure what I think moving forward. I already have those other two other mad bastards to watch through my hands  when they are doing that thing they always do to each other in their matches it takes me out of the enjoyment a bit. I have similar feelings towards the wrestler in WWE who has a similar story even though he probably my favorite wrestler. If this happens then I am sure on one level it will be very uncomfortable viewing.

Also, I accept I am hugely in the minority here but can't work out why this Bray thing is getting such a positive reaction. The videos were amazing but it's just a shitty mask from a Slipknott tribute band. Am I missing something? Or is that it? Is it cool because wrestling fans tend to like Slipnott tribute bands?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: hummingofevil on August 12, 2019, 01:40:37 PM
Also, I accept I am hugely in the minority here but can't work out why this Bray thing is getting such a positive reaction. The videos were amazing but it's just a shitty mask from a Slipknott tribute band. Am I missing something? Or is that it? Is it cool because wrestling fans tend to like Slipnott tribute bands?

I don't think anyone particularly cares about the mask. As you said, the videos are amazing. He's been refreshed, it's new, it's different, it's exciting.

hummingofevil

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 12, 2019, 01:39:04 PM
I'd like to say that I've never enjoyed Dolph Ziggler as much as I did last night, especially calling Goldberg "dipshit". I'm not entirely sure what the point was, but it was entertaining nonetheless.

See here https://streamable.com/td36x

It's pretty funny that like. Is it just Goldberg's manner but it always feels like they are almost mocking him? Whether he takes himself a bit to seriously or not (its more likely they just wanted a bit more for the no doubt +$100k they paying him) but that was on edge of taking the piss and making him look silly. And then you got the Riddle stuff..

hummingofevil

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 12, 2019, 01:42:56 PM
I don't think anyone particularly cares about the mask. As you said, the videos are amazing. He's been refreshed, it's new, it's different, it's exciting.

Fair enough. Not being a Debbie downer just don't get it. Not to my taste I suppose.

Oh got so much catching up to do. WasTakeover good?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: hummingofevil on August 12, 2019, 01:47:34 PM
It's pretty funny that like. Is it just Goldberg's manner but it always feels like they are almost mocking him? Whether he takes himself a bit to seriously or not (its more likely they just wanted a bit more for the no doubt +$100k they paying him) but that was on edge of taking the piss and making him look silly. And then you got the Riddle stuff..

Yeah it was pure cartoon. They know he can only really do two moves, so they're just getting the most out of it.

Moribunderast

So I haven't watched any NXT since the G1 started. Just starting Takeover now and Beth Phoenix has already referred to the "NXT Universe"... Man, a month of listening to Kelly, Charlton and Rocky commentate NJPW has destroyed my already low tolerance for WWE commentary and buzzwords. Hope the show is good!

sevendaughters

Io-Candace on NXT is amazing. Contender for match of the weekend (this sounds sarcastic, but consider it). Main event was absolute balls. Well, I stopped watching it after 20-odd mins. It went 51.

mikeyg27

Quote from: hummingofevil on August 12, 2019, 01:40:37 PM
Has everyone seen it yet? Can we talk about it yet?

It was great. But I'm going to need more time to believe he's fully okay.

Also, if what they teased for the IWGP is the Royal Quest main event (which is what chronologically should be the case) that WOO FUCKING HOO.

hummingofevil

Ill spolier that. If they giving us ZSJ Vs Tanahashi and Okada vs Suzuki at Copper Box then there is a chance we getting a repeat of the tag at York Hall rev pro the night before. It that happens... my god. The Rev Pro show already has Osprey vs David Starr and a tag eliminator for a spot at Copper Box.

A Copper box show with those two matches + Osprey match + Naito and Ibushi doing something (oh god no please) + who knows what else (I'll be amazed if Ishii doesn't come) is just insane. And I'm only really going as I hope Yano is there?

Deanjam

G1 final was very good. The final 10 minutes were especially great. Crowd going nuts at the end. There's a purity to Japanese crowds that I'm coming to appreciate more and more as I'm turned off by western crowds and their patterned reactions.

The ANGLE was great too.

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 12, 2019, 10:32:22 AM
The Fiend's entrance at Summerslam if anyone missed it https://youtu.be/sx6ohfn_3VE

Pretty fuckin sick!

Amazing entrance. Loved the creepy decapitated head lantern.

I just caught up with the show. It was a decent event. Rollins vs. Lesnar best match on the show by far. Followed by Trish vs. Charlotte.

magval

Quote from: Deanjam on August 12, 2019, 05:22:24 PM
G1 final was very good. The final 10 minutes were especially great. Crowd going nuts at the end. There's a purity to Japanese crowds that I'm coming to appreciate more and more as I'm turned off by western crowds and their patterned reactions.

The ANGLE was great too.

What happened? Someone spoiler it for me.

hummingofevil

Quote from: magval on August 12, 2019, 07:12:01 PM
What happened? Someone spoiler it for me.

Spoiler

Kenta turned heel on Ishii and joined the Bullet Club. Then LA dojo guys came in for save an got a thrashing. Then Shibata jumped in and took out Kenta and the Bullet Club. He got a load of offence including flying kicks before being out numbered at took some big bumps (though nothing to the head - teasing whether or not he is cleared to wrestle again or not). It finished with Kenta sat on Shibata's  chest in Shibata's pose. Heel heat. The crowd went mental for the whole thing.

Remember this guy could easily be dead from brain injuries.

https://twitter.com/early90spants/status/1160818912604241921?s=20

Also Suzuki destroyed Okada in tag and challenged him for IWGP title. Almost certainly to be in London. Fingers crossed.

hummingofevil

So AEW have signed Orange Cassidy and have Jake Roberts doing the promo videos for the women's Battle Royale. It's possible to go off a company quickly!!

They have announced Jazz (cool) and Teal Piper (Roddy's daughter).

Ja'moke

Jake Roberts as the card dealer was awesome though.

Also, they announced Ivellise, that's the one I'm most excited for.

Orange Cassidy signing is fine by me. Lower card comedy guy who can go when he wants to. They'll need guys like that for when the TV show starts.

Deanjam

Cassidy is death to a mainstream audience. Comedy is fine, but his gimmick comes across as openly mocking how fake wrestling is.

sevendaughters

from purolove.com

NJPW "NJPW ROYAL QUEST", 31.08.2019
London Copper Box Arena, UK

1. SHO, YOH & Rocky Romero vs. Ren Narita, Shota Umino & Ryusuke Taguchi
2. Kota Ibushi & Juice Robinson vs. Yujiro Takahashi & Hikuleo
3. Will Ospreay & Robbie Eagles vs. Taiji Ishimori & El Phantasmo
4. Tetsuya Naito & SANADA vs. Jay White & Chase Owens
5. IWGP Tag Team Title: Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa (c) vs. X & X
6. NEVER Openweight Title: Tomohiro Ishii (c) vs. KENTA
7. RevPro British Heavyweight Title: Zack Sabre Jr. (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi
8. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Minoru Suzuki

mikeyg27

If I'm going to quibble I'd have liked a Naito singles match, but yeah, it's going to be worth going for that top three.

In other news, IT'S BOSS TIME! As soon as Natalya started talking about her dead dad I knew what was coming.

Very happy to see King of the Ring coming back too.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Deanjam on August 13, 2019, 06:34:05 AM
Cassidy is death to a mainstream audience. Comedy is fine, but his gimmick comes across as openly mocking how fake wrestling is.

It's a cheeky wink at best, which might serve will in the era of ironic detachment. It's not like the other wrestlers sell his half-arsed moves. It's literally just comedy. If the People's Elbow can be one of the most popular moves in wrestling, I doubt Orange Cassidy's gimmick will damage any credibility.

sevendaughters

Here is the full Kenta turn - the way they swerve it from being a basic heel turn to a brilliant one is amazing. Also the best sell of GTS ever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dct7m-MJDFs

Ja'moke

We're finally getting Banks v Lynch again! Their match back in NXT was one of the best of the whole four horsewomen era, second only to Bayley v Sasha.

boki

Quote from: Deanjam on August 13, 2019, 06:34:05 AM
D'ya think?  I just see him as a slacker character that his opponent has to drag a fight out of, so there's a clear story to be told there.  I think it's a neat twist on the chickenshit gimmick, where he's just too lazy to fight rather than being cowardly.

hummingofevil

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 13, 2019, 09:29:23 AM
It's a cheeky wink at best, which might serve will in the era of ironic detachment. It's not like the other wrestlers sell his half-arsed moves. It's literally just comedy. If the People's Elbow can be one of the most popular moves in wrestling, I doubt Orange Cassidy's gimmick will damage any credibility.

I hate his gimmick but it is really popular with the indie fan base in likes of Beyond. He is also a decent wrestler (he was Fire Ant in Chikara - I think) and obviously as a feel decent feel for fun wrestling, just not my thing. There was a Jordynne Grace match a few months ago and when it got going is was actually rather good. I like the idea of him confusing his opponents its just when they sell the half-arsed moves (they do) my skin starts to crawl.

---

That Copper Box card looks amazing. No Yano but happy with everything else. Just the right amount of shine on the English wrestlers as I was worried they might feel need to have one of them main event as it is home turf.
Also, for Gedo fans the booking actually not only works from G1 finals but also is consistent with last year's UK shows (ZSJ beat Okada and Suzuki beat Ishii in main event) AND this years Australia shows wth Robbie Eagles moving away from El Phantasmo.

madhair60

madhair60

Just saw. Sorry, I've got brain problems.

I'm gonna be there in shit seats.

hummingofevil

Quote from: madhair60 on August 13, 2019, 12:04:33 PM
Just saw. Sorry, I've got brain problems.

I'm gonna be there in shit seats.

I don't think there is shit seat in the whole place. The Olympic Park is a soulless hell but the venue itself looks ace and the atmosphere at Olympic boxing was incredible. It really could be an all time great experience.