Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:20:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling: Probs mostly about AEW TNT debut and Smackdown on Fox

Started by peanutbutter, August 11, 2019, 06:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hummingofevil

Quote from: Deanjam on September 16, 2019, 11:45:17 PM
This was taken by a fan last night. Awesome picture.

I can't unsee a penis on Bray's t-shirt.

So where are people on Corbin now. I have always quite liked him and thought he would come out of this eventually (as he seems to be a genuinely nice real life guy as much as anything). They have booked him dreadfully with pretty much everything they have done but is there any chance this King of The Ring might work for him. I think he and Bailey basically need the same character; which is the Bo Dallas in NXT character. A heel just having fun.

They definitely missed a trick with Gable though. Should have have him winning and make KOTR feel special; like a proper NJPW tournament. They were so close to it this year - WWE almost doing something simple and right to push a wrestling babyface but then, you know... Vince.

sevendaughters

Vince does not understand 'goodness' as a concept, hence why babyfaces are either dumb as a box of rocks or just vanilla losers. his top faces have to be 'cool', even though they're often corporate-sounding blowhards. guys like Bret and Foley he just lucked into and rode the wave of, and even they had to be heels against their better nature for a while.

Deanjam

Quote from: hummingofevil on September 17, 2019, 12:18:42 PM
So where are people on Corbin now.

He's much more tolerable now he isn't involved in every other segment on Raw. I enjoyed his match last night (though I give most credit to Gable for this) and I think he'll fit the King gimmick well, presuming they don't just have him lose all the time like the last few KotR's.

weekender

Vince thought process:

"This "The Fiend" thing is working too well, as did the Firefly Funhouse promos.

We need to teach this guy a lesson, how can we do it?

I know, let's have him lose to Corbin at Hell In A Cell"

up_the_hampipe

I've always liked Corbin, thought he had cool moves and played a heel very well, just not enough for the positions he's put in. This could be a good role for him.

weekender

Corbin's suffered, in my view, from the "being promoted" approach when he's fairly new to the screen.

Wrestling's weird in that regard, I'm being "sold" The Fiend but it's being done in such a good way that I quite like it.

What I really want is for Dolph Ziggler to turn into some sort of zombie princess, win the women's championship, turn back into a male zombie, align himself with The Fiend, and then end up winning the tag team championships using his dual personas whilst The Fiend just looks on, bemused.

Probably won't happen, but I like to dream.

Deanjam

Brock getting the WWE title shot on the first Fox Smackdown. Colour me shocked.

Deanjam

It all depends on how its booked. Brock's best matches have come against smaller guys, but Vince may book a destruction job as Fox wants the real fight fans tuning in.

Timothy

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 18, 2019, 02:17:58 AM
Brock vs Kofi should be great!

They had a great match at Beast of the East.

I think that Kofi winning from Lesnar would put more viewers glued to their TV set then Lesnar beating Kofi. That would mean that on Smackdown ''truly anything can happen''.

NJ Uncut

Was nicking the footie from an online stream last night which turned out to be TnT

An AEW advert came up at half time. Was good to see, cool and all. Showed some IN RING ACTION but also a quick shot of Omega with blood on his head

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Deanjam on September 18, 2019, 02:28:07 AM
It all depends on how its booked. Brock's best matches have come against smaller guys, but Vince may book a destruction job as Fox wants the real fight fans tuning in.

I'm happy for either. Let's not pretend Brock isn't awesome just because he shows up infrequently.

sevendaughters

it's just hotshotting a big match out of nothing to bump the ratings. the booking will remain the booking as it has been all decade.

Swoz_MK

Watched Halloween Havoc 97 last night. Nagata/Ultimo Dragon, Jericho/Gedo, Rey/Eddy was a fucking fantastic first hour. The rest was fine, Hennig/Flair was great fun. I might just watch old WCW  every night for the rest of my life.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Swoz_MK on September 18, 2019, 08:46:08 AM
Watched Halloween Havoc 97 last night. Nagata/Ultimo Dragon, Jericho/Gedo, Rey/Eddy was a fucking fantastic first hour. The rest was fine, Hennig/Flair was great fun. I might just watch old WCW  every night for the rest of my life.

I mean there is some good mid-90s WCW but that sounds like a good WAR or NJPW show.

hummingofevil

I will always go out of my way to watch a Brock match and he doesn't need any build because he is the only star they have in the whole company and if he wants a title match he should get one whenever he wants.

Actually, thinking about it if you take the G1 and New Japan Cup out of it how many singles matches does Okada have in a year. The point is I wonder how it compares to Brock's schedule as I can see the argument that Brock follows a NJPW level of booking (the 19 G1 shows aside) where they let you have a breather for a few weeks/month at a time and then get excited when they return (are focussed on again).

sevendaughters

I presume Brock is going to win, so is Smackdown the A show now?

Deanjam

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 18, 2019, 05:06:54 PM
I presume Brock is going to win, so is Smackdown the A show now?

For what Fox are paying? Absolutely.

weekender

Still love Harper and Rowan tag team, but is it me or did they both look drug/steroid free on Smackdown?

Good thing, if so.

Ja'moke

Mobius

I am mildly excited to finish work today and watch a new type of NXT! Glad to hear Io has featured.

kitsofan34

Triple H just has to insert his face into the show, every time, just to remind you whose vanity project this is.

One of the plus points for NXT moving to one show a week is it keeps that fiery crowd hot all night. Their 4 shows in one night tapings were brutal on the fans in attendance.

I didn't like them bringing Walter and Imperium over. They've hoovered up every talent from the indies already, the NXT roster is massive, there's no need to bring them over too.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Mobius on September 19, 2019, 04:05:16 AM
Glad to hear Io has featured.

She opened the show! (well, after Triple H's intro)

I thinking the Imperium thing will just but short term, hopefully, to lead to Imperium vs TUE in War Games. And I'm well up for that. It's also a way to get eyes on NXT UK.

Glad to see Lio Rush back too. His match with Oney was ace.

weekender

I don't know the name of the guy who fought Pete Dunne, but it was a good match.

It appears that now there's a Japanese Marty McFly about to face Walter, who has apparently formed a faction in which a black and white uniform is required and he has some henchmen.

Don't know what that's about, but it's a fun show with good rasslin.

Edit: From watching, it seems fairly clear the crowd are agreed that Walter should have a championship reign at some point, not sure I disagree.

Walter vs Brock anyone?

peanutbutter

NXT done 1.2 million on USA, this is apparently a very good rating?

hummingofevil

Quote from: peanutbutter on September 19, 2019, 10:22:56 PM
NXT done 1.2 million on USA, this is apparently a very good rating?

I reckon so yeah. I would be amazed if AEW comes anywhere near that.

What intrigues me about that is that it is about half of what RAW gets and I bet there are a small but significant number of people who have watched NXT who wouldn't watch RAW anyway (most of us on here for a start). That is a lot of regular wrestling fans not watching NXT and it will be very interesting to see what happens come the 2nd. Are they going to split that audience or are there RAW fans (and others) just waiting?

My instinct is that 1.2 million will be about the shared audience and the Wednesday night audience is different to monday but it will be fascinating to watch.

Always worth putting these into context mind and the Sue Perkins Japanese documentary got 2.8million views in a country of 70 million which is down a million from her previous series and WWE is earning literally a billion quid for attracting 2.5million viewers in a country of 350million. The financial side of these deals is a complete nonsense.

kitsofan34

Just watched that opening 4-way women's match out of curiosity. Nice little pace to itself, very smooth. Has the Io Shirai heel turn stopped now? Her moveset was quite aerial based and she at one point was trying to get the crowd to pop for her jumping to the outside.

Mauro Ranallo has great enthusiasm but it would be ever so good if he could focus on the match instead of showing how cultured he is. You know the Wu Tang Clan's most famous song, well done Mauro. "Hip Hip LeRae" made me visibly cringe.

Mobius

THAT MATCH WAS SHORTER THAN A TIK TOK VIDEO!!!!!!!! MAMMA MIA..... YIM!

Pretty sure Io is still a heel, but much like Walter she's getting cheered regardless. She strikes me as someone who is going to launch herself from high places even if you tell her not to.

I just can't get into Mia Yim.

Loved the brawl at the end.

Nice to see Lio Rush back, he's such a great wrestler, that springboard stunner from the bottom rope was a spot I'd never seen before.

Imperium Vs Undisputed Era (or a mishmash of ring disrespecting NXT guys) at War Games or whatever should be fantastic. Loved cheeky little KUSHIDA.