Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:54:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling: Probs mostly about AEW TNT debut and Smackdown on Fox

Started by peanutbutter, August 11, 2019, 06:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliggg

Quote from: cliggg on August 19, 2019, 10:29:45 AM
Cody said a while back that they have 6 months of storylines already mapped out, I don't know if he meant for the entire roster or for the top guys. One thing I don't think people are taking into account is that very few if any people involved in AEW have the experience of running a weekly touring wrestling show all year round. That means dealing with all the production side of it, making sure the crew get to the venue with the equipment a few days early to set it all up, making sure the wrestlers and other on air personalities get there on time and know what they are doing, dealing with sudden injuries, disciplinary issues,  insurance, they say they will let their contracted performers wrestle for other promotions if they want but what if they get injured on that show?, they say the schedule will be lighter (they are looking to do 100-120 shows per year total) which means less money for the performers which may make some work more for other promotions which increases the risk of injury, dealing with wrestler egos and dealing with whatever WWE throws at them.

I sound like a miserable cunt because I am but I also really want AEW to survive and thrive, it's all new and exciting now but wait until a few months into it when they have to deal with all of the above and more, that's when we'll see the makings of them.
Also to add to that list of potential negatives...
What if Tony Khan gets bored and decides to bail? Or he doesn't like the way things are done so fires Cody/Bucks/Omega from their production roles the same way he has done with Fulham managers? Or what if the company isn't profitable enough for him after a certain time and he decides to sell it off to someone else?

And just to repeat again I am a miserable cunt but I do want AEW to be successful.

hummingofevil

I was half expecting it but fuck yeah!!

https://twitter.com/revprouk/status/1163384980980076544?s=21

Okada Tana vs Suzuki Gun in York Hall!!! Yes!

—-

The thing with this AEW stuff is that it's just a tiny opportunity in this shite world we live in to piss off one of the biggest cunts in it. Vince has set the bar so low for his own defeat is his own doing (I'm sure his billions will comfort him should he "lose") but it really is a tale for our times; the evils of capitalism refined into a wrestling war. Free market systems not allowing the existence of genuine competition due to total dominance of the main player. That the underdog in this story is actually even wealthier than Vince is hilarious. I just want Vince to be miserable.

NXT was the only thing keeping me subbed to the network so between that and the BT deal, I think I'm effectively done with WWE, even though I don't particularly want to be.

Spode

This deal will probably end up being the end of NXT and I can't see who benefits from it all.

In viewing terms, it's always benefited from being short, taped well in advance with the pay off being a small number of good PPVs. Going live means they can't really develop fresh talent in the same way, the show will now presumably have Vince's hands all over it and you'd imagine they'll be on monthly PPVs before long as well. Being on TV alongside RAW and Smackdown makes it seem more like the 3rd show and I can't imagine it will be an easy sell to future talent to be scraping around on there when there's money to be made elsewhere. Being left alone to have good matches for a couple of years before going to the main roster seemed to be a genuine selling point to a lot of those signing up.

As for Vince, I can't imagine how unknown (to the wider public) talent fighting in front of 400 people in Florida on a weekly basis fits in with his own view on what wrestling should be.

He's also managed to piss Fox off in the process. Weird.

Ja'moke

PW Insider reporting that Tony Schiavone has signed with AEW. Apparently WWE were also pursuing him, despite having no interest in him for decades.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Ja'moke on August 19, 2019, 06:36:40 PM
PW Insider reporting that Tony Schiavone has signed with AEW. Apparently WWE were also pursuing him, despite having no interest in him for decades.
I've heard he's very good on MLW?

Last few years in general seem to have been a big Schiavone reappraisal, tbh I never got why he was hated on so much for a while there. Was it just because his voice was so synonymous with WCW in the absolute gutter?
Great voice too, like Howard Finkel or something, just one of those voices that are both perfect for what they're doing but also kind of unique.

Where does he fit in AEW though?

peanutbutter

Quote from: hummingofevil on August 19, 2019, 03:10:59 AM
AEW production will be fine (if you mean the actual production and not a euphemism for the whole show). They have had plenty of trial runs witht the PPVs and they have loads of people in production and behind the scenes who have done this stuff plenty of times before. They just need to keep it simple and make sure what that it works. And it literally can't be any worse than the WWE in ring production that is broadly unwatchable thanks to Kevin Dunn which is a style NXT producers are told to mimick.
I mean on the whole, All In had absolutely huge timing issues. The streams didn't drop and there weren't any big fuckups with audiovisual stuff bit the logistics side of things still seem like a potential concern.

peanutbutter

Apparently Vince isn't at tonight's Raw, lemme know if it makes a difference guys

Mobius

I think both shows have been less shit than usual for a few weeks now. Not sure if it's the new staff or threat of AEW but it's gotten somewhat better.

That Revival assisted RKO was great.

Braun and Seth tag champs then... I wonder if they'll get along!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cesaro Vs Samoa Joe was a good match

And Vic Joseph is a great commentator and improved the show a lot

Not really feeling this Sasha heel turn. The audience don't care about Jim the Anvil Neidhart.

Ja'moke

Raw was actually pretty good. Although the tag title scene is a joke.

Becky's promo was fantastic though. Orton and Revival partnership is great. And I enjoyed King trying to run away from The Fiend.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ja'moke on August 20, 2019, 11:07:32 AM
And I enjoyed King trying to run away from The Fiend.

I like how he had the foresight to run away, but then he just stood on the ramp like a tit.

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 20, 2019, 11:26:52 AM
I like how he had the foresight to run away, but then he just stood on the ramp like a tit.

TURN AROUND KING!!

Deanjam

I still find Raw and SD a chore to sit through. The same people in the same positions doing the same things. The tag titles remain meaningless, nothing more than a prop to try to create interest in Seth vs Braun, a match that has no reason to exist. Sasha referencing Jim Niedhart being in Hell. Cesaro losing again. No one moving up the card, no fresh takes or ideas. The fascade of change.

Hopefully Bray will take the title from Seth.

Ja'moke

It's official, NXT moving to USA starting Wednesday 18th September: https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1163798690072596480

Apparently will still be available on the WWE Network the next day.

cliggg

Quote from: Ja'moke on August 20, 2019, 02:30:30 PM
It's official, NXT moving to USA starting Wednesday 18th September: https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1163798690072596480

Apparently will still be available on the WWE Network the next day.
Debuting 2 weeks before AEW, Vince is looking to get the audience into NXT so they won't turn over to AEW.... until the NXT show is over at least then they can watch the AEW show they recorded.

kitsofan34

First off I'd like to state that whist I like AEW for the most part so far, I'm not a super fan and believe Cody Rhodes to be far and away the best of the group when it comes to "booking".

That being said I sincerely hope Wednesday Night Dynamite blows NXT out of the water. From the day Vince McMahon Jr. took over his father's company he's shown a clear intent to wipe any form of competition off the map. It's not good enough for him to be the biggest show in town, he wants to be the only show in town. Their entire co-opting of the indies shows a pathological urge to control everything, bringing everything under the WWE brand, creating global NXT "brands" (NXT UK, NXT Japan etc). It's just disgustingly greedy.

I wonder how Triple H feels about all this. Some of the stuff he's liked on social media in the past indicates he's at least aware of Vince's faults, if not actively agrees with them. HHH is a very keen political mover and it seems like he was biding his time, ingratiating himself into our good books with NXT, waiting till Vince passes away. Now his baby is getting taken away from him and likely morphed beyond recognition. But what can he do really, but nod and smile, waiting away...

hummingofevil

Quote from: cliggg on August 20, 2019, 02:43:54 PM
Debuting 2 weeks before AEW, Vince is looking to get the audience into NXT so they won't turn over to AEW.... until the NXT show is over at least then they can watch the AEW show they recorded.

The interesting thing with NXT is whether it will be allowed to be basically an extended version of the same show (which, if you watch it regularly ranges from absolutely brilliant to bang average - and the later way more often than the hype suggests) or whether they are going to go guns blazing from the off. If I was WWE the two things I would do is have a Takeover Level match on everyshow (A 30 minute barn burner for the last half hour - they got the depth of talent to change things up so it's different everyweek) and bring in Shawn and William Regal as on screen characters. They don't have to be crazed authority figures just have them there, booking the matches, helping get stories over to a new audience and giving it a bit of gravitas.

Anyone wanna bet me how long it will be till HHH is NXT champion? You know he's thinking it.

Mobius

It's great for the talent. Live TV + 2 hours is way better than the Network. But that also means lots of adverts..being welcomed back, shown segments again and again...

I suppose it'll be a third brand now.

Ja'moke

Quote from: hummingofevil on August 20, 2019, 06:45:50 PM
The interesting thing with NXT is whether it will be allowed to be basically an extended version of the same show (which, if you watch it regularly ranges from absolutely brilliant to bang average - and the later way more often than the hype suggests) or whether they are going to go guns blazing from the off. If I was WWE the two things I would do is have a Takeover Level match on everyshow (A 30 minute barn burner for the last half hour - they got the depth of talent to change things up so it's different everyweek) and bring in Shawn and William Regal as on screen characters. They don't have to be crazed authority figures just have them there, booking the matches, helping get stories over to a new audience and giving it a bit of gravitas.

Anyone wanna bet me how long it will be till HHH is NXT champion? You know he's thinking it.

Regal is an on-screen character. He doesn't appear all the time, but he's used in small doses (short backstage segments, contract signings), and it works really well.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Ja'moke on August 20, 2019, 09:00:42 PM
Regal is an on-screen character. He doesn't appear all the time, but he's used in small doses (short backstage segments, contract signings), and it works really well.

Aye. I just meant more of him. Or maybe other people like him in similar roles. But not HHH as I hate his benevolent Uncle high-five, Mr Nice Guy hugging Tegan Nox stuff (on screen I mean - off screen all the thumbs up obviously)

Who else is there behind the scenes?

weekender

Mobius

cliggg

Quote from: hummingofevil on August 20, 2019, 06:45:50 PM
If I was WWE the two things I would do is have a Takeover Level match on everyshow (A 30 minute barn burner for the last half hour - they got the depth of talent to change things up so it's different everyweek)
This is the most frustrating thing about WWE anyway, they could have at least 2 really good matches on every Raw & Smackdown but it's like Vince is determined to stop that from happening. Though to be fair the last few weeks have had some really good matches including from what I have read yesterdays Smackdown which I will watch today. There is no reason not to have good matches on their shows with the depth and quality of the roster, hopefully AEW has given them a kick up the arse and they are changing for the better.

Quote from: hummingofevil on August 20, 2019, 06:45:50 PMAnyone wanna bet me how long it will be till HHH is NXT champion? You know he's thinking it.
I think we are definitely going to see WWE wrestlers make heavily hyped appearances on NXT from the very start, wait for Raw to hear Michael Cole scream "See the tv debut of NXT featuring an appearance by THE BIG DOG ROMAN REIGNS!!!!".

cliggg

Quote from: Mobius on August 21, 2019, 06:58:32 AM
In case you didn't see it, Roman's attacker has been revealed

https://streamable.com/amohj
I don't know if that was supposed to be funny or not but it gave me a good laugh, it's even funnier that they chose to end the show with it.

Deanjam

Well that was lame. I presume it's just Bryan fucking with Reigns and he'll eventually be proven to be the attacker.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Deanjam on August 21, 2019, 09:31:50 AM
Well that was lame. I presume it's just Bryan fucking with Reigns and he'll eventually be proven to be the attacker.

That is fucking hilarious.

Mobius

It's pretty great. Bryan barely holding it together there. What a weird way to end the show. Roman staring at 2 Rowans. Presumably Roman just walked out satisfied with that.

Far too much Shane still.

Sami managing Shinsuke could be interesting. Probably not.

Ja'moke

Quote from: cliggg on August 21, 2019, 09:28:55 AM
This is the most frustrating thing about WWE anyway, they could have at least 2 really good matches on every Raw & Smackdown but it's like Vince is determined to stop that from happening. Though to be fair the last few weeks have had some really good matches including from what I have read yesterdays Smackdown which I will watch today. There is no reason not to have good matches on their shows with the depth and quality of the roster, hopefully AEW has given them a kick up the arse and they are changing for the better.[

Hmm. I would say of all the complaints that could be levelled at WWE, the match quality, for the most part, isn't one of them. They do tend to have a couple of really good matches per week. Last week's Smackdown had that excellent Reigns v Murphy match, and I also really enjoyed Charlotte v Ember from that same show. That's been the case for a while... Andrade v Rey and those gauntlet matches from earlier in the year with Kofi stand-out to me.

The problem is the lack of characters, the inconsistent storylines, the odd booking, and the reliance on old, tired tropes.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Ja'moke on August 21, 2019, 12:24:24 PM
Hmm. I would say of all the complaints that could be levelled at WWE, the match quality, for the most part, isn't one of them. They do tend to have a couple of really good matches per week. Last week's Smackdown had that excellent Reigns v Murphy match, and I also really enjoyed Charlotte v Ember from that same show. That's been the case for a while... Andrade v Rey and those gauntlet matches from earlier in the year with Kofi stand-out to me.

The problem is the lack of characters, the inconsistent storylines, the odd booking, and the reliance on old, tired tropes.

Broadly agree. Tbf this silly Roman story line is better because at least it gives them a storyline to set up the matches; that type of soap opera writing that feeds into matches is fine. It's like how Lucha Underground worked without the supernatural stuff. For WWE to really nail it they need to them cross reference these stories to the type of matches.

On a simple level if someone is meant to be furious the matches should be short and brutal and not technical grappling matches; if someone is fucking with someone (like maybe Bryan is doing with Roman) the pay off should be a technical match where Bryan is constantly trying to outsmart Roman. I'm reminded of that run Okada had where it wasn't enough to win but to win on the other guys terms (well that led to Shibata nearly dying but you know what I mean).

What that really should do is then lead to cage matches or no-DQ or whatever when the storyline requires it (and not just randomly).

Of course for all this to work out they need long term planning and not a maniac in charge who gets bored with storylines even before they appear on TV but it's a start. That I can even imagine a good WWE is an improvement.