Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:28:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Titania McGrath

Started by mippy, August 12, 2019, 12:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mippy

Apparently 'she' has a Fringe show: https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2019/aug/05/titania-mcgrath-review-pleasance-courtyard-edinburgh-festival-2019

and unsurprisingly yer man Doyle doesn't really know what he's satirising.

ajsmith2

Why didn't Doyle play the part himself for the 'I identify as' angle?

JCR

It's an actress. I do like the idea of radical satire that's not going to say anything to offend it's presumed audience of Jeremy Clarkson clones.

jobotic

Dig the comments, particularly the "Oh what a surprise that the Guardian doesn't like this non PC show" one that then lists all the proper media that did like like it,The Times, The Express etc etc

JCR

I saw it. On the plus side the actress delivered the script well and there was a bit where she did the two minutes hate from 1984- she screams abuse at pictures of random celebrities- it was quite amusing. Most of the rest was very dull. It's not offensive, it's just shooting fish in a barrel, trying to parody something that's already at self parody. Apparently some people with hard left leanings are actually well off & middle class & some teenagers are hypocrites. Who knew.

McFlymo

Edit: (felt I should elaborate a bit, instead of just being a bit smug and vague...)

I read the comments on the Guardian site and I find it sad and annoying that people are so threatened by anyone criticising anything vaguely related to their ideas (to the point where even criticising a show that sounds kinda weak) has them being so defensive and reactionary. - I think someone needs to draw attention to that, more than any of the dull (yes, easy) targets slagging off people for being hypocritical. The idea of people being affronted by hypocrisy anymore, is utterly fucking pointless. Have you saw even a 10th of anything Trump has said since 2016 (see also: Most politicians and the very people who post these vapid comments on news sites and youtube etc...) The lack of integrity of people, in general isn't hard to criticise, what is harder (and more interesting) is for people to actually have conviction and speak out about what they think and dare to let others challenge their views. 

But yeah, Ricky Gervais already smeared his stinking, unwashed scent over this, so what else do we need to say?

idunnosomename

what does that even fucking mean

JCR

It has nothing to offend it's desired 50+ year old ABC1 audience they're hoping will round off a day of watching Cambridge Footlights & Paul Merton's Impro Chums with the shocking Miss McGrath.

idunnosomename

the account's just a bunch of lazy hack one-liners rather than what best parody accounts do, build up a bit of self-referential mythology, self-parody, establish a world, all that sort of stuff. it's probably very suited to edinburgh judging by the state of the top 10 jokes.

and is it really a millennial trope to have a massive ego about your own genius? that's a bit more 80s teen listening to the cure and the smiths and writing poetry. god it's so shitty and lazy it makes me angry

Still, I always wonder who Doyle used for the headshot and if she knows

j_u_d_a_s

A friend of mine went to see this and typed this up about it which echos just about every criticism with McGrath and Doyle by extension.

Interestingly, for the all the coverage this has been getting, tickets are already 50% off this far into the run while more progressive shows are already sold out. The reviews have been fairly middling, but the real damning ones are from outlets you'd think would be on side like The Times and Telegraph. And from all I've seen of Jonathan "fucking" Pie (as he's known in my house)and Doyle's stand up, he just ploughs the same snidey furrow. No wit or playfulness to what he does. I saw Simon Munnery doing Alan Parker which is a more affectionate take at an over earnest lefty but is also packed with gags, inventiveness and Munnery actually appears to be enjoying himself. Doyle just trades in sneering with no insight or even curiosity about what he's "satirising".

The independent did another of its "Is comedy too woke now?" pieces recently and the usual suspects were interviewed but thankfully some balance is provided by Fern Brady and Sophie Duker. Worth pointing out that Konstantin Kisin is still an open mic-er rather than some sage experienced comic but he does have a podcast I guess. (called, what else, TRIGGERnometry)

And why does Doyle look so miserable in every publicity shot he does? You'd think he'd have a sense of humour after telling everyone to the left of Genghis Khan to get one...

j_u_d_a_s

Quote from: JCR on August 16, 2019, 01:11:37 AMApparently some people with hard left leanings are actually well off & middle class & some teenagers are hypocrites. Who knew.

Worth noting that Doyle is an Oxbridge graduate, works as a private tutor and wrote Woke over 2 months staying on a remote island. Working class hero!

ajsmith2

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 19, 2019, 05:45:21 PM

Still, I always wonder who Doyle used for the headshot and if she knows

Looks like a photoshopped up composite photofit type job.

idunnosomename

yeah i just realised that. only just though

JCR

Quote from: j_u_d_a_s on August 20, 2019, 02:02:43 PM
A friend of mine went to see this and typed this up about it which echos just about every criticism with McGrath and Doyle by extension.

Interestingly, for the all the coverage this has been getting, tickets are already 50% off this far into the run while more progressive shows are already sold out. The reviews have been fairly middling, but the real damning ones are from outlets you'd think would be on side like The Times and Telegraph. And from all I've seen of Jonathan "fucking" Pie (as he's known in my house)and Doyle's stand up, he just ploughs the same snidey furrow. No wit or playfulness to what he does. I saw Simon Munnery doing Alan Parker which is a more affectionate take at an over earnest lefty but is also packed with gags, inventiveness and Munnery actually appears to be enjoying himself. Doyle just trades in sneering with no insight or even curiosity about what he's "satirising".

The independent did another of its "Is comedy too woke now?" pieces recently and the usual suspects were interviewed but thankfully some balance is provided by Fern Brady and Sophie Duker. Worth pointing out that Konstantin Kisin is still an open mic-er rather than some sage experienced comic but he does have a podcast I guess. (called, what else, TRIGGERnometry)

And why does Doyle look so miserable in every publicity shot he does? You'd think he'd have a sense of humour after telling everyone to the left of Genghis Khan to get one...

Yeah, it wasn't sold out when I saw it, despite it being in a >200 seat room and all the five star reviews. Suggests the word of mouth on the show isn't good.

sevendaughters

or that liberals are too scared of dissenting opinions!!!!!!

king_tubby

A new twist! Titania has been banned off Twitter, and seems a few other less famous unfunny 'left' parody accounts have too.

jobotic

Toby Young's trade union has got a lot of casework coming their way.

Quote from: king_tubby on August 18, 2020, 06:40:30 PM
A new twist! Titania has been banned off Twitter, and seems a few other less famous unfunny 'left' parody accounts have too.

Say you're an attack helicopter these days, you get arrested and thrown in jail.

pigamus

What? Banned for shit satire?

frajer

Banned for revealing too many truths. Human brain can't handle such raw truth.

BritishHobo

Looks like I'm blocked by Andrew Doyle. Those bloody woke censorious satirists can't handle the heat! The heat of a fat bloke who's never actually talked to them.

jobotic

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 18, 2020, 08:36:38 PM
spiked-online.com/2020/08/18/twitters-purge-of-the-anti-woke-satirists/
click here for mirror
http://archive.is/oBmiV

donate to us. piss in our bucket of piss.

Donate to them? Fucking donate to them? What have they spent Koch's money on? O'Niell's forehead?

Thursday

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on August 18, 2020, 07:10:52 PM
Say you're an attack helicopter these days, you get arrested and thrown in jail.

When did this come in?!

RicoMNKN

"So it looks as though it was @TitaniaMcGrath's thread about medical science that got her locked out of Twitter.
All I was doing was satirising the tortuous logic of Critical Theory, and how it promotes dangerous ideas in the name of social justice."

If you write a 'satire' of dangerous ideas but don't include any jokes, then it is just publishing dangerous ideas isn't it?

Perhaps he wouldn't get banned if he tried being funny.

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: BritishHobo on August 18, 2020, 09:03:26 PM
Looks like I'm blocked by Andrew Doyle. Those bloody woke censorious satirists can't handle the heat! The heat of a fat bloke who's never actually talked to them.

Haha I'm blocked by him as well litttttterally just for saying that his "comedy" creation wasn't funny. Oh the irony of all these "free speech" cunts being so trigger happy with the block button (I'm also blocked by Darren Grimes).

Armin Meiwes

Anyway good news about McGrath, most pitiful account on Twitter and that is REALLY saying something.

Famous Mortimer

I wish there was a simple way for me to tell them to get fucked. Maybe one of this team of high-end satirists visits here. If you do, please get fucked.