Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:39:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Playmobil: The Movie

Started by BlodwynPig, August 12, 2019, 05:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momatt

Quote from: Replies From View on August 15, 2019, 11:49:43 AM
I don't even remember Playmobil having any kind of construction element.  Wasn't it just figures, vehicles and playsets, all pre-made?

It doesn't.
The real thickos are those trying to construct dinosaurs and castles with their Playmobil train set.

Replies From View

Yeah, it's just an interoperable range of figures, buildings, vehicles and associated accessories.

Their recent Ghostbusters sets are fucking brilliant, I'll give them that.

https://www.playmobil.co.uk/onlineshop/products/ghostbusters%E2%84%A2

Replies From View

The vehicles and buildings might be fine but their character designs are insipid.  Their Egon Spengler looks like Harry Potter in an Elvis wig.

Icehaven

Quote from: Replies From View on August 15, 2019, 11:49:43 AM
I don't even remember Playmobil having any kind of construction element.  Wasn't it just figures, vehicles and playsets, all pre-made?

Quote from: momatt on August 15, 2019, 02:31:45 PM
It doesn't.
The real thickos are those trying to construct dinosaurs and castles with their Playmobil train set.

OK I'm going to be the first to admit I was getting Playmobil confused with Duplo (very basic Lego with large bricks for toddlers). I don't know if I though Playmobil was Duplo or just that it still involved building blocks of some kind. It is truly I who is stupid.

Replies From View

Ah yeah, Duplo.  Actually the same company as Lego, that - a kind of gateway for toddlers to the Lego drug.

As a kid I assumed they were rival companies and that Duplo was the inferior one.

Blumf

Quote from: Replies From View on August 15, 2019, 03:34:44 PM
Ah yeah, Duplo.  Actually the same company as Lego, that - a kind of gateway for toddlers to the Lego drug.

As a kid I assumed they were rival companies and that Duplo was the inferior one.

This'll blow your mind: Lego bricks can work with Duplo bricks!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Replies From View on August 15, 2019, 02:51:51 PM
Why does it get compared with Lego?
They were the two big generic sort of toy ranges when I was a nipper, that weren't based on some faddy cartoon or film.

Replies From View

Quote from: Blumf on August 15, 2019, 04:08:01 PM

Well I knew that already.  As a child I also put Weebles in with everything.  Mixed and matched the shit out of it all mate.

momatt

Dunno, I suppose the little plastic people looks a bit similar?  Aimed at roughly the same age-range?

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on August 15, 2019, 02:55:12 PM
Their recent Ghostbusters sets are fucking brilliant, I'll give them that.
I came really close to buying some of these!

purlieu

Quote from: Blumf on August 15, 2019, 04:08:01 PM
As any kid who had both already knew.

Dex Sawash

Playmobil- toys that look like things

Lego- toys that look like shit pixilated versions of things

Blumf

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 16, 2019, 11:34:08 AM
toys are for children

I'd like to see a child successfully drive a Lamborghini to the south of France!

buzby

Presumably because they both originated in mainland Europe and are direct competitors to each other, particularly in the US (Playmobil was always a bit more 'niche' in the UK during the 70s and 80s). They both have similar themed collections in their ranges (Medieval, Pirates, Space, Modern Town, Vehicles etc. and licenced TV and film properties). In fact, Lego introduced it's MiniFigs and the themed ranges that went with them in 1978 after Playmobil's 1974 launch of it's first sets (Knights, Native Indians and Construction Workers, which I got unboxed samples of courtesy of my uncle who worked in Littlewoods' Catalogue photographic studio).

Another German-based toy line that Lego went up against is Fischertechnik, a sort of half-way house between Lego and Meccano that was originally produced in 1966 by Artur Fischer GmbH (an industrial fastening manufactuer) as a novelty christmas gift for it's engineering clients. It developed into a popular educational toy in Germany, particularly for use in schools, and Lego developed it's 'Technical Sets' line in 1977 (renamed Technic in 1982) as a direct competitor to it. Again, it was never particularly popular here in the UK (though I also got one of the basic sets via my uncle).

Regarding the films, I'm surprised Amercans don't refer to them as the Legos Movies. Grrrr......

Captain Z

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 13, 2019, 11:38:52 AM
K'nex the k'movie

Ha, I'd scrolled down to Madhair's post but not as far as yours, and had literally the same thought.

Replies From View

I had this Playmobil ghost when I was a kid

It glew in the dark

You didn't have one, you are jealous, fuck you

imitationleather

I was never young enough to have Duplo.

Always thought Playmobil had a very pleasing aesthetic.

jobotic

Loved Playmobil. Kids love it now. Got a load I had that came in white and you could colour in. Horses were better back then too.

Replies From View

momatt

Quote from: Replies From View on August 16, 2019, 03:55:18 PM

Yes I did!  Must retrieve it from my parent's house on my next visit.
I hope he's ok.  Probably still dead though.  :-/

I had this space robot guy too.  He was my favourite.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: imitationleather on August 16, 2019, 04:04:26 PM
I was never young enough to have Duplo.

Always thought Playmobil had a very pleasing aesthetic.

From birth to raves, bypassing all that quaint stuff

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Replies From View on August 16, 2019, 03:55:18 PM
I had this Playmobil ghost when I was a kid

It glew in the dark

I had a Lego ghost. It was better, because it was Lego.

Leghost.

mothman

I had a Lego poltergeist. Or that's what I told my dad when he occasionally stood on a random brick that had escaped the box I kept them in.

purlieu

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I'm not sure you're actually supposed to use novelty condoms for intercourse

garbed_attic

SUPER OCTONS UNIVERSE

(from galt_pony)

Replies From View

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 16, 2019, 06:37:56 PM
I'm not sure you're actually supposed to use novelty condoms for intercourse

He's not using it for intercourse he's using it as a ghost.

A real ghost.

idunnosomename

The bit with the spooky ghost in it was the only bit I really laughed at in the Lego Movie