Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:34:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Self-flaggelation

Started by The Boston Crab, August 12, 2019, 07:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
A thread about playing a game over and over and over and over trying to get past the next bit.

Anyone do that? That's basically the games I love most but there's something self-flaggelating about them. You know what I mean? Haha.

Also, and here's the twist, sometimes when I die on a level, I bash my arcade stick down really hard on my knees or thump it as hard as I fuckin can. Notooften, maybe 1% of the time and when it gets to 50% of the time, I walk away for a bit. Gotta be honest, though, after a bad run or two I can't help but think about smashing it down really hard on my bollocks to make me focus more on getting a high score. I know you might think that's a joke or, oh dear mate are you OK maybe speak to a doctor, all that crap, but I'm just saying that the thought goes through my head. It used to be launch the fuckin thing through my telly but the more I strive to get a really big high score, the more it's turned in on me and I see myself as the creator of my own misfortune in more ways than one. I worry in a way that I might flatten my bollocks like Scotch pancakes and then have to explain to my wife that we're defo not having kids so don't worry about it. I'll probably be able to chain stage 2 of Dodonpachi Daioujou after that as well, though.

I'm not tryingto be edgy or hardman or cryin for help, I'm just saying this is what it's really like playing hardcore shoot em ups. You have to deal with this shit to get properly good. If you can't stop yourself from flattening your fuckin nuts like two hairy Pogs, you don't have what it takes to fuck with Dodonpachi Daioujou, know what I'm saying?

Just got over 4m for stage one and max chain of 1140. I knew this would help. Cheers.

bgmnts

If Dark Souls wasn't so dull this would be this kind of game, where you just punish yourself to complete.

As it is Shadow Tactics is good for this. Its not a shmup though so dont know how much it'll interest.

Sin Agog

I usually find I'm way better on my first try than on my thirtieth.  Maybe the newness keeps you frosty?

That's also definitely true to an extent. First couple of runs are often very good, especially first thing in the morning if you've been dreaming about a route. That said, I've gone past that mindset because you have basically earn the gains and get past that immediate focus cheat mode. You have to go through the depths and live for the flickering highs and moments of pure ground progress. As long as you don't flatten your bollocks it's all good.

YYYYEEEESSSS

Worked on my route again and got a much more consistent way to get full chain AND grab the last bee to get double bonus before the combo breaks. My knees are aching a bit but absolutely worth it.

Quote from: bgmnts on August 12, 2019, 08:16:56 PM
If Dark Souls wasn't so dull this would be this kind of game, where you just punish yourself to complete.

As it is Shadow Tactics is good for this. Its not a shmup though so dont know how much it'll interest.

Don't know if this is a wind up but yeah Dark Souls is my favourite game.

bgmnts

If you want a challenging game but in a nice setting with characters and a plot and stuff, definitely check out Shadow Blade dude.

Cheers mate, never heard of it to be honest so I'll have a look for it.

gmoney

I headbutted my Gameboy after losing a match on Top Ranking Tennis and cracked the screen, rending it unplayable. I claimed that I'd dropped it to my parents, and I wasn't bought a replacement. I learned a lesson and didn't abuse gaming equipment again after that. I have occasionally punched my thigh during particularly frustrating events during Championship/Football Manager over the years.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: gmoney on August 13, 2019, 03:32:40 PM
I headbutted my Gameboy after losing a match on Top Ranking Tennis and cracked the screen, rending it unplayable. I claimed that I'd dropped it to my parents, and I wasn't bought a replacement. I learned a lesson and didn't abuse gaming equipment again after that. I have occasionally punched my thigh during particularly frustrating events during Championship/Football Manager over the years.
I once destroyed the arm of a sofa after an egregious event in whatever damn game I was playing. I didn't mean to, mind.