Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:38:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

watched The big Lebowksi

Started by madhair60, August 13, 2019, 12:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

saw it was on amazon so stuck on that Lebowski, knew it was a meme film, didn't know if actually good. Haven't got on great with Coens before but I like Jeff Bridges so I had a pooch and guess what I really enjoyed it. best film I've seen in ages to be honest.

What is your favourite bits in Big Lebowski please.

Chollis

yes it's good, i like it. my favourite bit is john goodman pulling the gun in the bowling alley. cheers.

madhair60

i was surprised how funny it actually was, I thought it would just be weird and off-beat instead of jokes but theres loads of jokes.Julianne Moore is very beautiful also

Cuellar

Yup, good film. Favourite bit probably 'SEE WHAT HAPPENS LARRY?'

Sebastian Cobb

I like it, but it owes a massive debt to The Long Goodbye.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 13, 2019, 12:34:30 PM
I like it, but it owes a massive debt to The Long Goodbye.

I'd say an even bigger debt to Cutter's Way.  Jeff Bridges is a lazy, reticent slacker dragged into a neo-noir conspiracy at a rich dude's mansion by his hilariously unhinged Vietnam vet friend.

fuck i'd never clocked that but that's absolutely right

Billy

I watched this at the Ritzy Brixton about four years ago, and not only did I not find it funny, but neither did any of the audience - we all just sat there, stony faced for two hours. Then fifteen minutes before the film ended, a couple of the cinema staff wandered in (including the one who sold me the ticket), sat down, and wheezily giggled at every single line.

Maybe I'd like it more in a better environment but for now it remains my biggest disappointment of seeing something I'd previously heard was good.

madhair60

Quote from: Billy on August 13, 2019, 01:16:43 PM
I watched this at the Ritzy Brixton about four years ago, and not only did I not find it funny, but neither did any of the audience - we all just sat there, stony faced for two hours. Then fifteen minutes before the film ended, a couple of the cinema staff wandered in (including the one who sold me the ticket), sat down, and wheezily giggled at every single line.

Maybe I'd like it more in a better environment but for now it remains my biggest disappointment of seeing something I'd previously heard was good.

I found it lived up to every bit of praise I've seen heaped on it. Huge grin on my face within the first two minutes, constant laughs, absolutely loved it.

That's just like... your opinion man.

madhair60

Quote from: thecuriousorange on August 13, 2019, 01:34:34 PM
That's just like... your opinion man.

See this is a quote that had been done to death, meme'd all over the place and yet in the film, in context, it still made me laugh out loud.

Dex Sawash

Endicott

Doesn't a man piss on a carpet? I liked that bit. (and lots of other bits)

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

You're out of your element, Billy.

earl_sleek

Obviously you're not a golfer.

the ouch cube

Best bit is David Thewlis being an 'art world' person and/or the notion of Flea being in Kraftwerk

dex

I never got in to TBL. I remember a bloke at work loved the Dude and saw him as this deep and spiritual, free guy. All I saw was a fucking waster. Each to their own though.

greenman

Quote from: the ouch cube on August 13, 2019, 04:08:42 PM
Best bit is David Thewlis being an 'art world' person

Beats out Mozart's donkey laugh.

Surprised Inherent Vice hasn't been picked up on more as the most successful attempt to mimic Lebowski.

oy vey

First time I saw it I hated it. Second time loved it, and continue to do so. First time I was focusing on the plot, you see. Not a good idea. It's all about the characters. I don't like Coens much but this is a gem.

Favourite scene is all of it, but that would be cheating so I'll go with the ash scattering scene which is the only time we see Dude lose his cool then Walter hugs it out. Poignant, slapstick, ridiculous.... just great really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u44D3qKKGPU

QDRPHNC

So do we think the David Thewlis bit is some kind of commentary on the modern art work being a big in-joke for rich people, or do we think the Coen's just like it when people act like arses?

madhair60

Quote from: QDRPHNC on August 13, 2019, 07:11:28 PM
So do we think the David Thewlis bit is some kind of commentary on the modern art work being a big in-joke for rich people, or do we think the Coen's just like it when people act like arses?

I just took it as a funny joke about Dude being totally alien to the scene he's in

QDRPHNC

Quote from: madhair60 on August 13, 2019, 07:16:28 PM
I just took it as a funny joke about Dude being totally alien to the scene he's in

That's how I took it too, originally. After a few watches I wondered if the Coens were making some kind of point.

Also, my favourite part of TBL is just Walter, generally.

I'm talking about drawing a line in the sand, Dude. Across this line YOU. DO. NOT.

QDRPHNC

I can't believe that a screening of TBL only four years ago was attended only by people who had never seen and didn't find it funny. Sorry Billy, I can't believe you.

Anyway, maybe give it one more.go at home. I'm a huge Coens fan, but it didn't really click with me the first time.

kalowski

"Do you like sex, Mr. Lebowski?"
"Excuse me?"
"Sex. The physical act of love. Coitus. Do you like it?"
"I was talking about my rug."
"You're not interested in sex?"
"You mean coitus?"

From the same scene:
"Good lord. You can imagine where it goes from here."
"He fixes the cable?"

kalowski

Lest we forget the dreadful censored version:

"You see what happens when you find a stranger in the alps?"

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: kalowski on August 13, 2019, 08:56:24 PM
"Do you like sex, Mr. Lebowski?"
"Excuse me?"
"Sex. The physical act of love. Coitus. Do you like it?"
"I was talking about my rug."
"You're not interested in sex?"
"You mean coitus?"

From the same scene:
"Good lord. You can imagine where it goes from here."
"He fixes the cable?"

My art has been commended as being strongly vaginal which bothers some men. The word itself makes some men uncomfortable. Vagina.

Oh yeah?

Yes, they don't like hearing it and find it difficult to say whereas without batting an eye a man will refer to his dick or his rod or his Johnson.

Johnson?

QDRPHNC

kalowski

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 13, 2019, 09:48:24 PM
My art has been commended as being strongly vaginal which bothers some men. The word itself makes some men uncomfortable. Vagina.

Oh yeah?

Yes, they don't like hearing it and find it difficult to say whereas without batting an eye a man will refer to his dick or his rod or his Johnson.

Johnson?
One of the beautiful things about the film is the constant callbacks to different moments, so we have
"We cut off your Johnson!" and
"Fuck sympathy! I don't need your fucking sympathy, man,I need my fucking Johnson!"
"What do you need that for, Dude?"

Which has just reminded me of the incredible way Goodman delivers the line, "Fuck the tournament?"

Sebastian Cobb

Ah yes and 'She's not my special lady, she's my fucking ladyfriend. I'm just helping her conceive!'.

kalowski

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 13, 2019, 10:15:12 PM
Ah yes and 'She's not my special lady, she's my fucking ladyfriend. I'm just helping her conceive!'.
Yeah yeah, I get it. Fuck off, Da Fino. And stay away from my special--from my fucking lady friend man.