Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:05:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

watched The big Lebowksi

Started by madhair60, August 13, 2019, 12:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

My dad cheated on my mum with a local harpie who forbade him from enjoying The Big Lebowski. 

Glebe

It's a favourite, always cheers me up.

Noodle Lizard

It took me probably two or three goes before I really started to "get it", but once I did it became a quick favourite.  Same with Withnail & I.

Lordofthefiles

"Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women man"

Twit 2

Love the nihilists.

"We believe in nothing, Lebowski, nothing."

Twed

Watched it for the first time early this year, thought it was great. They don't make (mainstream) movies like this anymore because they don't target a specific demographic.

easytarget

I've had a rough night, and I hate the fucking Eagles, man

That's it!  Outta this fucking cab!

NoSleep

Quote from: Twed on August 14, 2019, 02:42:51 AM
Watched it for the first time early this year, thought it was great. They don't make (mainstream) movies like this anymore because they don't target a specific demographic.

"people that like good films"

Old Nehamkin

They've got us working in shifts!

kalowski

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax"

Fabian Thomsett

Smokey, my friend, you're entering a world of pain.

This isn't 'Nam, there are rules.

QDRPHNC

This aggression will not stand, man.

I love how much of the Dude's dialogue is picked up from other places.

Cuellar

It's nice that he goes and supports his landlord's obviously going to be terrible dance performance isn't it. What a supportive friend.

QDRPHNC

Inner city children of promise but without the necessary means for a necessary means for a higher education.

Loved that bit of repetition. I'm surprised it's not in the script, apparently the Coens are sticklers for their dialogue. Peter Stormare couldn't understand why they wanted him to say Pancakes House during the filming of Fargo.

Rizla

I like the little fat PI that follows him around as it's both a reference to The Long Goodbye and also he's a little fat PI driving a VW bug just like in Blood Simple (the Cohen's debut).

I've just realised that I've always thought of myself as a Cohens fan, but even though I've seen all their films up to O Brother several times each, after that I've not actually seen any, apart from No Country For Old Men which I can't remember much about or if I even finished it. I just keep putting off watching them for no good reason. What are the best and worst post-2000 ones?

QDRPHNC

After 2000? They've done Hail Caesar, No Country for Old Men, A Serious Man, Inside Llewyn Davis, True Grit, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, Burn After Reading... all of which are wonderful, to one degree or another.

A Serious Man and Hail Caesar would be my picks for the best of those.

The Ladykillers and Intolerable Cruelty I only watched once each on release and haven't revisited. I consider them the only true duds of their careers. They're not terrible, but they feel like someone else trying to make a "wacky" Coens film.

kalowski

They did not receive the money, you nitwit! They did not receive the money! HER LIFE WAS IN YOUR HANDS!   
-----
And with Brandt as my witness, I will tell you this: Any further harm visited upon Bunny, will be visited tenfold upon your head...My God sir. I will not abide another toe.

kalowski

Lady, I got buddies who died face-down in the muck so that you and I could enjoy this family restaurant!   

QDRPHNC

Well there's not a literal connection, Dude...

greenman

I mean True Grit is probably the most obvious Coen/Lebowski recommendation given it has Bridges in a not totally dissimilar kind of role, a bit more straight forward perhaps but still I think a lot of character to it and very funny at points. Hail Caesar more of the same kind of absurdist tednancys, a few more laughs than Grit but almost more a series of linked sketches.

Again I think the closest you'll get to Lebowski though is Thomas Andersons Inherant Vice, more on the weird paranoia side perhaps but plenty of comedy as well, Brolin in that film might be my favourite comedy performance this decade. Shane Black's The Nice Guys Wasn't a bad attempt at the same kind of thing either, again a bit more straight forward but still well done, makes me wish Gosling would do more comedy.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It is undoubtedly one of the most quotable films ever made. "What in God's holy name are you blathering about?" is useful in many situations.

It's always seemed slightly odd to me that Charles Durning didn't play the title role. He looks, sounds and acts much the same. Plus, he'd already worked with the Coens on Hudsucker Proxy and would do so again on O' Brother, Where Art Thou?. They don't seem to do it as much these days, but they had their little repertory company going throughout the '80s and '90s

Johnny Textface

Shut the fuck up Donny!

Poor Donny, whenever he opens his mouth. Then dead.

kalowski

Quote from: Johnny Textface on August 15, 2019, 07:31:43 AM
Shut the fuck up Donny!

Poor Donny, whenever he opens his mouth. Then dead.
Donny was a good bowler, and a good man. He was one of us. He was a man who loved the outdoors... and bowling, and as a surfer he explored the beaches of Southern California, from La Jolla to Leo Carrillo and... up to... Pismo. He died, like so many young men of his generation, he died before his time. In your wisdom, Lord, you took him, as you took so many bright flowering young men at Khe Sanh, at Langdok, at Hill 364. These young men gave their lives. And so would Donny. Donny, who loved bowling. And so, Theodore Donald Karabotsos, in accordance with what we think your dying wishes might well have been, we commit your final mortal remains to the bosom of the Pacific Ocean, which you loved so well.
Good night, sweet prince

oy vey

Quote from: kalowski on August 15, 2019, 08:38:54 AM
Donny was a good bowler, and a good man. He was one of us. He was a man who loved the outdoors... and bowling, and as a surfer he explored the beaches of Southern California, from La Jolla to Leo Carrillo and... up to... Pismo. He died, like so many young men of his generation, he died before his time. In your wisdom, Lord, you took him, as you took so many bright flowering young men at Khe Sanh, at Langdok, at Hill 364. These young men gave their lives. And so would Donny. Donny, who loved bowling. And so, Theodore Donald Karabotsos, in accordance with what we think your dying wishes might well have been, we commit your final mortal remains to the bosom of the Pacific Ocean, which you loved so well.
Good night, sweet prince

John Goodman's delivery with Jeff Bridges quietly seething in the background. It never fails to crack me up.

madhair60

How did Larry's homework get into The Dude's car?

Endicott

Didn't Larry steal the Dude's car from outside the bowling alley?

paruses

Quote from: Fabian Thomsett on August 14, 2019, 03:49:35 PM
This isn't 'Nam, there are rules.

A favourite of mine along with "it really brings the room together" whenever I see a rug (bridges a lot more conversational gaps than you might think plus I am pleased with myself on the inside)

kngen

Rented it on video when it was first released. Watched it on my own. Then about a third of the way through I realised I really should watch it with my best mate, so I took it round to his and we watched it and revelled in its brilliance. Then I took it home and watched it with my flatmates. Then, just for good measure, watched it again the next morning before I took it back to Blockbuster.

I hate all the pish that surrounds it - Dudefest etc - but, by Christ, it deserves all the adoration it receives.