Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:24:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hardest Thing You've Done In Games

Started by The Boston Crab, August 13, 2019, 12:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I learned a consistent route in Dodonpachi Daioujou and pulled off a full chain while in Replay Mode. It doesn't automatically save each run so there's always a bit of extra pressure when you set it to record. I nearly drop the chain a dozen times but that's just the way it goes in Daioujou, the margins are painfully fine. What this means is that you need to kill an enemy pretty much every second, let's say, to maintain the chain. You can also hold your laser on a big enemy to stop your chain meter going down but as soon as it blows up, you need to kill something else in like 0.25 of a second.

I've got to say, this is the toughest thing I've ever done in a game. Ikaruga was big for me because it was the first time I felt that total all-consuming drive to learn a shmup to any degree, and it put me through some real despair and I can't describe the relief. Mushihimesama Futari BL 1CC was great, even though I probably have got one of the lowest ever 1CC scores, total coward tactics but I don't care, I did it!

This was different, though. I've been playing Dodonpachi Daioujou on and off since I first tried it at Arcade Club a couple of years ago and it blew my mind and immediately got me into shmups. I've bought so many shmups chasing that first DOJ feeling. I've tried to learn it several times and quit because it was just too impenetrable and the chains seemed impossible but this time around, I've ended up being pretty calm about it where Futari and Ikaruga stressed me out enormously. Once I started making some little bits of progress, I realised that even if it takes me six months, I feel like I can do it. I'm pleased to say that it took me about ten days on and off but I probably died or dropped the chain, hmm, I'm going to say five thousand times. Absolutely worth it, so satisfying. Absolutely pumped to get started with stage two.

https://youtu.be/DLofNBww9ZY

What about yourself? Anything you felt was insurmountable which you ended up nailing?

biggytitbo

Getting past the first screen on Spiky Harold is the hardest, makes the entire Dark Souls trilogy look Barbie Horse Adventures.

Zetetic

Normans thrown back into the sea, a united Prydain, Rome rejected in favour of Lollardy by the 13th century.

Cuellar

Quote from: Zetetic on August 13, 2019, 12:44:55 PM
Normans thrown back into the sea, a united Prydain, Rome rejected in favour of Lollardy by the 13th century.

What game was this? I've been playing Medieval Total War II and want something similar.

Swoz_MK

Sword Saint Isshin I reckon. Took me close to a month of hour-long sessions 3/4 times a week. Found it far, far harder than any bosses before him.
Never did beat Manus in DaS1 though, should probably go back to him soon.

Ridge Racer V 99 Trial.

It's the last challenge in the game. You have to pass 99 cars at the hardest AI setting over 99 laps. That's just over an hour and a half of racing absolutely flat out, not making a single mistake as the AI cheats like a massive bastard.

garbed_attic

Completed all three PC routes in the original Pathologic (admittedly with a lot of save spamming)

magval

Grenade launching onto vanishing boxes in MGS2 Substance.

Zetetic

Quote from: Cuellar on August 13, 2019, 12:54:23 PM
What game was this? I've been playing Medieval Total War II and want something similar.
Crusader Kings 2.

Cuellar

Getting good enough at Battlefield to achieve MVP in a 64 player server. I was a complete novice at FPS games and I reckon it took 1000 hours of playing.

Completed Alex Kidd in Miracle World with one life. Man I could play that game.

Kryton

Conquered and claimed Jerusalem as Wales in CK2.

Also on another playthrough I managed to relocate Jerusalem to Sweden.
I did have screenshots of both of these things in my old computer. But yeah crusades can be really fucky sometimes and produce some odd results.

Thursday

I managed not to cum playing cunt wars

Famous Mortimer

Completing Max Payne 2 in "Dead on Arrival" mode so Mona doesn't die. It's a lot of fun to play, so learning all the waves wasn't much of a pain, but still - going from how I was on my first playthrough to that was pretty chuffing satisfying.

One of the reasons I watch the Games Done Quick people is to see that sort of drive I just don't possess, to learn the insanely hard routes and tactics for games. I mean, I 100% completed Deus Ex: Human Revolution and felt pretty pleased with myself to get the "you've got all the achievements" message, but I don't think it was enormously difficult - even doing it without guns, without ever triggering an alarm, etc.

bgmnts

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 14, 2019, 12:18:12 AM
I mean, I 100% completed Deus Ex: Human Revolution and felt pretty pleased with myself to get the "you've got all the achievements" message, but I don't think it was enormously difficult - even doing it without guns, without ever triggering an alarm, etc.

I dunno, trying to go pacifist run whilst fighting that flesh-skinned boss WITH the implant on the hardest difficulty setting was an absolute fucking nightmare.

Easy 50+ attempts.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: bgmnts on August 14, 2019, 12:28:29 AM
I dunno, trying to go pacifist run whilst fighting that flesh-skinned boss WITH the implant on the hardest difficulty setting was an absolute fucking nightmare.

Easy 50+ attempts.
Flesh-skinned boss? The bosses were definitely the least fun part of it...you on about Jaron Nammir? I think there were grenades and leaping about behind walls, but I definitely took a fair few goes (I may have misjudged how tough the bosses were with my previous comment).

bgmnts

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 14, 2019, 01:21:28 AM
Flesh-skinned boss? The bosses were definitely the least fun part of it...you on about Jaron Nammir?

Ate, the leader of the terrorist cell, he looked like he had no skin or something. Constantly leaping over walls and you cant use any powers or see your HUD. Fucking agonising.

Ferris

Top 10 European continental time for Rainbow Road on MarioKart Wii.

Took about 6 months.

madhair60

This will sound staggeringly unimpressive, but probably beating Astro Boy on GBA on Hard Mode with a full Omega Dactor. Hard Mode is basically one-hit kill, there's shit all over the screen and no checkpoints. Aced it, took absolutely fucking ages.

Also 100pt cleared every Mega Man Zero game, including 3 multiple times to unlock all the minigames. Take my word for it when I say this is very difficult, thank you.

Also I beat Dark Souls but whatever, that game isn't even that hard.

Norton Canes

Roping horses in Red Dead Redemption.

I said 'roping'

weekender

The hardest thing I've ever done was actually complete a game at an arcade.

That game was Super Pang.

Three things:

1) A lot of rip-offs of this game are crap;
2) You *have* to take great care to avoid picking up the dynamite on the last level;
3) Completing a game at an arcade, using arcade controls, is hard.

I think it maybe cost me £15-£20 in total to do it in one run, can't remember now.  I could usually get to level 30 (of 50, I think?) on £1, then a couple more £s would take me to the 40s.  I think I spent around £11 on the last level alone, but it was worth it - no-one had ever seen an arcade game completed at an arcade before, so all my mates were running round screaming.  This was at university by the way, so would have been around 1998 I guess?

Here's a video.  I'm not sure now what it actually looked like because I've played the SNES version so many times since then, but I think this might have been the actual arcade level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl0-_dq66Qs

Here's the SNES ending by way of difficulty comparison, they're both very difficult:

https://youtu.be/6T3AJVxDJx8

Pseudopath

Quote from: weekender on August 14, 2019, 07:14:02 PM
That game was Super Pang.

Gah! Super Pang! The money I wasted on that fucking game! You must have felt like a king defeating that bastard.

popcorn

I can complete any computer game on max difficulty.

Thursday

Did a SL1 Dark Souls run, although I feel weird one, I cheesed wherever I could, but also understanding the mechanics means at certain points, I probably had an easier time than my original playthrough because equipment matters more than Level.

Definitely some bits, I'm happy with myself for getting through completely legit though, like Artorias.

H-O-W-L

Probably some of my Hitman achievements, but doubtlessly the hardest and most time consuming thing was being able to beat Afraid of Monsters: Director's Cut in about 40 minutes on Hard. That took months of practice to get my time sub-hour.

bgmnts

Oh also, sounds mad but beating the first big boss in Lost Odyssey is an absolute ball/clit ache. It is massively overpowered and will knock you all out quicker than Connor McGregor if you refuse a shot from him. I managed it after at least 20+ tries and a bried hiatus from the game when I was zen.

H-O-W-L

Biggest pain in the clit is doing SA/SO Master levels on Hitman 2 because the fucking game only gives you one bastard save for up to five targets and blows the whole fucking challenge if you get so much as spotted blowing off in the wrong place.