Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:28:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Alan Partridge Travelogue

Started by Tony Yeboah, August 13, 2019, 04:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

I saw an article online this morning about how Coogan was able to escape a driving ban because it would affect the series: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/08/13/steve-coogan-escapes-lengthy-driving-ban-alan-partridge-character/

The thing that amazed me is that any police officer would pull somebody over for driving 36 in a 30. What a waste of time.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Twed on August 13, 2019, 04:47:34 PM
I saw an article online this morning about how Coogan was able to escape a driving ban because it would affect the series: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/08/13/steve-coogan-escapes-lengthy-driving-ban-alan-partridge-character/

The thing that amazed me is that any police officer would pull somebody over for driving 36 in a 30. What a waste of time.

According to the organ of truth the Daily Mail online he was caught by a camera. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7352103/Steve-Coogan-escapes-lengthy-road-ban-speeding.html

The quotes about the upcoming show do make it sound very similar to This Scissored Isle.

The comments section below the article are exactly what one would expect from frothing at the mouth DM readers. 

sponk

It isn't that unusual for courts to take people's personal circumstances into account like that, I do wonder what the reaction here would have been if someone like Boris Johnson had been given the same treatment though. Why aren't times linked to your salary or net worth or something?

Tony Tony Tony

Apologies that we are drifting away from comedic topics here but the thought of Steve Coogan being asked if he was good to stump up just shy of a grand in court did bring to mind the scene in Quadrophenia were Sting's character is fined and he whips out a chequebook and asks if he can pay it there and then.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteIn February 2016, Coogan was fined £670 and banned from driving for 28 days after being caught doing 54mph in a 30mph zone in Brighton.

A one month ban, not much of a punishment.

sponk

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 13, 2019, 05:35:36 PM
A one month ban, not much of a punishment.

Yeah that is mad. I've always thought there should be a sliding scale when it comes to fines and bans. Say a week ban, or £10 / 1% of your salary (whichever is greatest) for every MPH you're clocked doing over the limit.

BritishHobo

Oof, that is a bit of an embarrassing story, especially with the note that he attended a driving course only two months ago due to his history of offences. The absolute relish of this line from the article:

QuoteBut the motoring enthusiast already had nine points from previous motoring offences...

The needing to drive story is I guess no different to anyone else in court who needs to drive in order to get to work etc, but the previous bans and points do not put it in good light at all.

kidney

Just drive a bit slower Stevey boy eh?

Enzo

Quote from: sponk on August 13, 2019, 05:08:52 PM
It isn't that unusual for courts to take people's personal circumstances into account like that, I do wonder what the reaction here would have been if someone like Boris Johnson had been given the same treatment though. Why aren't times linked to your salary or net worth or something?

Alex Ferguson got away with a driving ban because he said he had diarrhea

holyzombiejesus

And Tony Pulis got away with it when he was managing Stoke City because he relied on his car for scouting and if he didn't scout then Stoke could get relegated and that would affect the local economy. Fucking joke.

Ferris

Quote from: Enzo on August 13, 2019, 09:38:25 PM
Alex Ferguson got away with a driving ban because he said he had diarrhea

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 13, 2019, 09:40:25 PM
And Tony Pulis got away with it when he was managing Stoke City because he relied on his car for scouting and if he didn't scout then Stoke could get relegated and that would affect the local economy. Fucking joke.

Both good ideas - what would you tell the rozzers if you were caught speeding?

Twed

That I wanted to get home in time to see/read about Coogan's latest series. Then they would have the pressure of the inevitable "us versus them" headline if the programme didn't get me off the hook.

easytarget

Having Partridge still make the program but unable to drive due to a ban could be fucking great.

The Lurker

Big Mclargehuge

Quote from: easytarget on August 14, 2019, 06:28:00 AM
Having Partridge still make the program but unable to drive due to a ban could be fucking great.

I thought this this morning but then I thought it might end up a bit "500 Bus Stops" it would be fucking hilarious though to see him sniping the "Elites" on and off while having to get sidekick simon to drive him everywhere.

Beagle 2

Nothing much to say except justice made the right call and this sounds a fuck ton better than This Time.

Chollis

Quote from: Beagle 2 on August 14, 2019, 09:58:49 AM
Nothing much to say except justice made the right call and this sounds a fuck ton better than This Time.

Zetetic

Quote from: Twed on August 13, 2019, 04:47:34 PM

Why? That's a considerable proportion over the speed limit, with reaction distances increased accordingly for a start. And, presumably, in a place where a speed limit actually matters.

Completely Partridge'd out now. Bring on the Saxondale revival.

poodlefaker

Yeh, my thoughts when I heard the story was that it sounded like something that would happen to Alan. First he'd try to get Lynne to take the blame, then go on the speed awareness course with a bunch of teenage lads, a rich businessman and an old woman. Writes itself.

Twed

Quote from: Zetetic on August 14, 2019, 11:16:34 AM
Why? That's a considerable proportion over the speed limit, with reaction distances increased accordingly for a start. And, presumably, in a place where a speed limit actually matters.
I've only driven here, where it is standard to consider 5MPH over the limit as the baseline. I'd safely drive past a cop at 36 in a 30.

Urinal Cake

A Porsche? I thought he gave up expensive cars.

I would've like to see Partridge forced to do a tour by bicycle. Dragging his dogue de bordeaux in a wagon. Waving his fist at motorists. Fixing punctures on the side of the road. 

sponk

Quote from: Twed on August 14, 2019, 09:49:10 PM
I've only driven here, where it is standard to consider 5MPH over the limit as the baseline. I'd safely drive past a cop at 36 in a 30.

If your speedometer tells you you're doing 36 you're probably only doing about 32 in reality

Lordofthefiles

Producing the show himself?!
He was essentially doing the "Monkey Tennis / Innercity Sumo" scene wasn't he?

"...Erm, yeah, and then right, I'm going to drive all around the world right, and, erm... right, and erm, I'll be in a car right, and erm, you can be in it your honour, and erm... 'A Partridge in a Capri' or something, erm..."

petril

should've got a bull-nose Morris

I love Alan Partridge but this whole thing makes Coogan seem like a massive wally.

oy vey

Around The World With Alan Partridge In A Bullnose On The Left. Finally.

Dyl Spinks

Looks like Scissored Isle is coming out on DVD in November. There doesn't appear to be any extras listed for inclusion.