Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:43:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hong Kong

Started by bgmnts, August 13, 2019, 05:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urinal Cake

Neither the protestors or the police were experienced in the 'theatre' of peaceful protest. Especially with protestors having 'shock troops' trying to practice 'near violence' theory or whatever and police who are on a constant power trip being frustrated that they couldn't bust some heads earlier.

In hindsight, the protesters got what they wanted the bill is dead and Lam was humiliated- they shouldnof quit. Then the leaders gone into hiding and plan the next protest when the HK government inevitably fucks up.

In a weird way it shows that the one country, two systems has been working due to the access, knowledge etc. Compared domestically to the repression of the Uighurs in Xianjing etc.

Or the shit in an apparently democratic India is pulling in Kashmir. Nearly a month, a population under martial law, a total electronic blackout. A few first hand stories about mistreatment and torture of Kashmiris. But lots of positive Indian press about improving the area economically and buying land. And a bit of tut-tutting from the majority of the Western press.

Pingers

I would like the protesters to prevail, but I think they are going to need to get their heads around strike action if they want to succeed. Protesting can get you so far, but out in the open against the might of a State machine your odds are not great. Stopping a capitalist system from functioning by striking is more effective and hits the ruling elite in their wallets. Plus, you can make someone stop protesting by using force, it's much harder to make them work.

Mister Six

Two general strikes have been called for this week - Monday and Wednesday, I think.

Bazooka

Umbrellas mate, that's all it took.

imitationleather

Indeed. Rhianna knew the score.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: zomgmouse on August 31, 2019, 04:33:55 PM
Seeing videos of the leaders etc defending police action and violence is pretty chilling. Saying things like "the police have a very difficult job" and "if citizens don't resort to violence then neither will the police". Very upsetting.

Similar things are said to justify kettling.

Head Gardener

at least skyscraper builders seem to have a sense of humour in the nearby Chinese province of Guangxi