Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:42:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rose Of Tralee 2019 [split topic]

Started by George White, August 10, 2019, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

2018's Rose has gotten a bit of flak from nationalist racist auld boys or "Alan Dillons" as I call them. After Miss France's chief Judge Alain Delon (yes, THAT Alain Delon) got all National Front  over Miss France being the daughter of African migrants.
No wonder Morrissey loves him.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/women-in-this-year-s-rose-of-tralee-very-inspiring-1.3979985 There's something vaguely sinister about them in identical dresses. Like the Thorne Travel ad

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteIt's a brilliant way for women to be celebrated. The fact that it has been going for 60 years is a testament to that."

Isn't this all a bit patronising now? I mean, is there a Look at this Generally Ace Man isn't he Ace while being non Ugly and thin competition? I really hope not as that would fatally undermine my point.

George White

Yes, it's always been patronising.
Basically, it can be summed up in six words - "Sure, she's a grand girl altogether".

Ferris

Forgive my ignorance - do people actually watch this? Or is it a weird niche thing like Crufts?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 10, 2019, 09:49:36 AM
Forgive my ignorance - do people actually watch this? Or is it a weird niche thing like Crufts?

Yes I think the audience is Absolute sacks of fucking dried dog cum

oy vey

I'm waiting for a transgender to win this so we can get at least a decade out of the Glinner threads.

rjd2

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 10, 2019, 09:49:36 AM

Yep.

About half a million watched it over both nights it aired last year on RTE 1 which would be the Irish version of BBC1.

Ferris

Quote from: rjd2 on August 13, 2019, 02:18:50 AM
Yep.

About half a million watched it over both nights it aired last year on RTE 1 which would be the Irish version of BBC1.

Again, apologies for my ignorance - is 500k a good rating for Irish telly? I'm trying to gauge whether it's a "Love Island" smash hit or a bit niche

George White

It's watched by people to take the mickey out of, but like a lot of things in Ireland, Crystal Swing, the Eurovision, the bosses don't get that.

bgmnts

So is this basically the Irish Eisteddfod?

holyzombiejesus

My colleague (who was generally known as 'the beautiful one' before we got to remember her name) has a sister who is up for Miss GB having already won Miss Regionwhereshelives. That's it really.

PlanktonSideburns

rjd2

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 13, 2019, 02:20:56 AM
Again, apologies for my ignorance - is 500k a good rating for Irish telly? I'm trying to gauge whether it's a "Love Island" smash hit or a bit niche

Its a very impressive number.

Last year the show was the 42nd most watched show of the year for RTE which is impressive when you consider the soccer world cup and how dominant mainstream sport is on terrestrial telly.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/most-watched-tv-programmes-of-2018-revealed-1.3753641

Ferris

Quote from: rjd2 on August 13, 2019, 11:15:36 PM

Its a very impressive number.

Last year the show was the 42nd most watched show of the year for RTE which is impressive when you consider the soccer world cup and how dominant mainstream sport is on terrestrial telly.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/most-watched-tv-programmes-of-2018-revealed-1.3753641

Thanks for that - well well well. What's so special about Tralee (assuming it's a place - I've done no research)

George White

It's a tourist initiative by the local council, named after the old folk song.

The prizes are ridiculous.
"A Kia or a Volvo for a year" (I've never understood this, for the non-Irish ones, yes, but what happens that car once it is used, can they buy it?)

PlanktonSideburns

thats assuming theyre allowed to drive it - maybe it gets parked on their drive for a year - mayor of trallalala needs it off the road for a year so he dont gotta pay not tax inni