Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:52:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mr Bungle (semi) reunion

Started by Shaky, August 14, 2019, 01:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaky

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 16, 2019, 03:02:21 PM
I saw him at the RFH conducting L'enfant Assassin De Mouches and Serge Gainsbourg's Histoire de Melody Nelson. If you've not heard that particular JCV album before I'd check it out, you'd probably enjoy that too.

Will definitely give that a listen. I'd heard his name before but wasn't familiar with his stuff. Not consciously, anyway.

McFlymo

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 15, 2019, 08:03:03 PM
Looks like he practised 'Retrovertigo':
https://youtu.be/QNvzwffXBaw

Aha! Much better! Phew! 

I wonder what he says at the start. Is it Italian?

Probably something like, "A bunch of little whiney bitches on the internet were complaining about me singing this badly, so let's see what we can do...."

pfffttt.... freakin little whiney bitches with their thoughts and ears and responses and stuff.... pffffttt Daddy Patton is a God etc etc etc...

Seriously though, I am happy to hear this song sound so good!

Gonna check out Corpse Flower properly, now.

Shaky

Do so, mate. Gets better with every listen.

McFlymo

Yeah, so far i'm loving the Patton's influence over the production, as well as his vocals. This is great.

Great article in The Quietus about some of their working methods. Definitely have worked out well!
https://thequietus.com/articles/27035-mike-patton-jean-claude-vannier-interview-corpse-flower

Noodle Lizard

I'm going to the Thursday show, with Neil Hamburger and Cattle Decapitation supporting. Ah I'm looking forward to it, even if it's not quite the reunion we were hoping for.

Shaky

Enjoy! It sounds like the guys at least mulled over doing a more trad reunion, so hopefully that's on the cards some time.

alan nagsworth

At the very least, those are two stonking great support acts

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 05, 2020, 12:03:33 PM
At the very least, those are two stonking great support acts

Yeah, if anything seeing the support line-up has been more exciting than the fact that it's technically a Bungle reunion. On other days they've got Melvins, ho99o9 and Possessed. I've never seen Cattle Decapitation, though their music has always been fine enough if it came on Spotify and I'm sure their live show is good energy. I've seen Hamburger countless times, but never actually in front of a music audience, which is where he shines brightest if Hot February Night is anything to go by. So I'm sure it'll be a laugh regardless.

alan nagsworth

QuoteSpeak English or Die
(Stormtroopers of Death cover) (Lyrics changed to "speak Spanish or die")

lol

Shaky

Whole Bungle show is on YT in reasonable quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-Y0lK4zHb8

I hadn't realised Scott Ian is fucking tiny.

Noodle Lizard

I had a look at that video - eh. Confirms my worst expectations. It's amazing I'm even saying this about Bungle, but it has about as much appeal to me as that Dead Cross show a couple of years ago would've had (had it not been  cancelled last minute because Patton fell off his skateboard). A curiosity, but not much more than that. And they're only playing for about an hour as well. Bearing in mind face value tickets are now $90-120, that seems like an unusually short set. I'm sure it'll be a fun night, but not what it should be, if that makes any sense.

Shaky

Yeah, watching the whole set on YT is a bit grueling. Some great riffs here and there but there's a hell of a lot of generic thrashing as well. They clearly moved on from the style of the first demo for a reason.

Much better quality footage up now btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs8HfSY9le4

Noodle Lizard

Also, not that it's especially important, but why has Mike decided to model his look after late-90s Korn?

Shaky

Noodle Lizard

Well, that was about what I expected. Fun enough for what it was, but still just what it was. Still doesn't feel like I've seen a Mr Bungle show.

It was a surprisingly dead crowd, made up of 50-year-old Bungle veterans and younger Pitchfork types. It seemed as though a lot of the younger people weren't aware of the nature of the show, and certainly weren't prepared for what was basically a hardcore/death metal gig, so it was a weird combination of people too old to move and people who don't seem to like this type of music much. I felt terrible for Cattle Decapitation, who had an impossible task trying to get any reaction whatsoever out of that crowd. On the plus side, it meant we could practically walk to the front of the crowd despite arriving late.

Bungle themselves played very well and seemed to be having a great time. I think it was the same setlist as the first night, although it's difficult to tell. I'd never seen Trevor Dunn live before and I never usually care much about bass, but he was incredibly impressive! I spent most of the set watching him. Patton was predictably on-point, but there's not too much variety in those kinds of vocals. There was probably a time where seeing Patton do an entirely "extreme vocals" set would've been a dream come true, but maybe I'm getting old. To his credit, Scott Ian seemed to be having a blast, and never tried to take the spotlight from Spruance, who had most of the lead parts covered. I always knew Spruance was a talented guitarist, but I suppose I never considered that he'd also be an excellent shredder in that style. Dave Lombardo had these drums in front of him the whole time and he was hitting them with sticks. Mad.

Anyway, there you go.

alan nagsworth

Many thanks for the write up Noodz.

Noodle Lizard

Oh, and Neil Hamburger did a pretty standard set, more musician-oriented perhaps. I'm not sure if there were any jokes I hadn't heard before, but he got a couple of obligatory RHCP gags in there and ended with a guitar-accompanied song, presumably from that covers album he put out a year or two ago. Still amazing to think he was once Bungle's tour manager.

Looking forward to videos of Melvins from tonight.

Shaky

Goldentony

watched the first reunion show last night and i've decided this is Dead Cross and that the Dead Cross records and gigs so far are a different unrelated band with neither Mike or Dave in

Shaky

Er, OK. What does that all mean, though? That you think current Bungle are better than Dead Cross? Or... something else?

Swoz_MK

They covered Malfunction with Harley Flanagan in Brooklyn, what a lovely thing to type let alone see & hear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EromRwC65FI

Shaky

The lads have just released the first fruits of their recent recording sesh - a cover of a song by The Exploited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PMz0frVKkc

Pretty meh.

alan nagsworth

Relevance of the song's message aside, The Exploited are shit and this cover is boring.

Shaky

Yeah - doesn't get the juices flowing, does it?

alan nagsworth

I just can't see the point of it whatsoever. Obviously I understand why the political message is important, but why not write your own song instead?

This whole reunion thing has pissed me off from the start. It's nothing but indulgent midlife crisis bollocks. The lads want to arse about with big dumb rock songs and they know people will pay out the arse to see them do it and say "I'm just glad to see these legends back on stage together!" Lombardo may be a thrash drumming powerhouse and Spruance might absolutely shred the fuck out of the tracks but hardcore punk/thrash metal is not something I look for in this band so I honestly don't care for it at all. Patton's off his fucking rocker.

PlanktonSideburns

yea its pretty dull stuff, - really plodding tempo - who needs mid-tempo harcore right now?

sounds like a load of grade 8 rockschool students

going to go listen to some zeke to remind myself that its this, not hardcore that i hate

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 05, 2020, 03:17:33 PM
It's nothing but indulgent midlife crisis bollocks.

It's just the Make A Wish Foundation isn't it? Considering the fact that Patton, Dunn and Spruance are all 50+ and are as far as I know not dying of terminal illness, I don't see why they feel we have to hear it.

alan nagsworth

On the Ipecac post for the "Speak Spanish or Die" performance I asked something to the effect of "what is point" and I got a reply telling me that "suicide is an option pal" which got a handful of likes so I guess at least there's still some fun left to be had in the world eh. Thanks Mike Patton fans! You're all so intelligent and thoughtful!! Maybe that's why he's always telling you to shut the fuck up at Fantômas shows when they're playing the stop-start stuff from the first album and you're all whooping like cunt apes during the quiet bits

chveik

meanwhile I'm still waiting for the Secret Chiefs 3 album I gave money for 3 years ago