Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:08:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mr Bungle (semi) reunion

Started by Shaky, August 14, 2019, 01:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disc_4

Quote from: chveik on June 05, 2020, 09:17:55 PM
meanwhile I'm still waiting for the Secret Chiefs 3 album I gave money for 3 years ago

Yup, me too. Supposed to be this fall i think, but yeah, "coming soon, as always... ".

It surprises me that with someone like Trey in the band, that the Bungle track sounds so bland. I know he isn't producing the new rwoteb stuff, but with someone of his production skills there, and well, the whole band, I really hope it's not indicative of the whole album and is just a one off deal for the fundraiser.

Shaky

Wow, some of you gave money for new Chiefs stuff? I hadn't realised that had been a thing. Considering Spruance supposedly has hours worth of stuff accrued for the various satellite bands, I can see why you'd be pissed off.

Noodle Lizard

Honestly, I wish they'd done this under a different moniker entirely. I think Trevor Dunn said they were considering naming this new outfit "Raging Wrath of The Easter Bunny", probably shoulda. With this frankly quite dull shit (even duller since Patton and Lombardo had been doing the same kind of hardcore/covers just a couple of years prior with Dead Cross), they've effectively killed any hope or excitement for a proper Mr Bungle reunion, nearly 20 years in the making.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 09, 2020, 01:18:26 AM
Honestly, I wish they'd done this under a different moniker entirely.

Yep, this was my thinking also. Even if you're a die-hard fan willing to defend the old stuff before the proper debut album, I think you'd be hard pushed to truly associate the Mr Bungle name with that and not the three albums that followed, especially 35 years after "Raging Wrath" came out and 20 fucking years after they split up. Stupid really.

sutin

The weirdest reunion of one of my favourite bands. Even scrobbling USA as 'Mr. Bungle' on last.fm felt weird.

Noodle Lizard

It's a cover as well. Bungle were no stranger to covering songs in their live shows, but it seems weird to lead with one as their first recording in 20 years - not to mention a stylistically quite dull one. It does make you wonder if they're trying to be deliberately annoying or antagonistic towards their fans, but I'm not sure I believe that and it'd be a bastard move anyway.

Goldentony

why wont he just do fucking fantomas and stop arse fucking around jumping up and down like a twat

DrGreggles

I don't think 'USA' is much cop, but I'm not sure a quickly tossed off charity single deserves this level of vitriol.

sutin

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 12, 2020, 12:30:04 AM
I don't think 'USA' is much cop, but I'm not sure a quickly tossed off charity single deserves this level of vitriol.
Bungle never quickly tossed something off before though. Their work over the 3 WB albums was meticulously crafted.

DrGreggles

But it's not a meticulously crafted album, is it. It's a quickly made and released charity single.

sutin

Yeah, and that's what makes if so un-Bungle... I like it okay BTW, but I do agree that it should have been released under another bandname.

Goldentony

He's covered Black Flag with Dead Boring now aswell

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 12, 2020, 12:30:04 AM

I don't think it is a "quickly tossed-off charity single". It's a song they built into their setlist for the reunion and was (I believe) recorded during the sessions for their new album, along with a few other 80s hardcore covers which are likely to make the track list. It's not just out of the blue.

DrGreggles

Releasing it as a charity COVID single probably was.

Shaky

Fun fact: I didn't like the Dead Cross album for agggggges then bunged it on one day for a laugh. It's actually really grown on me. Not sure the band has any legs, though.

Disc_4

Purported track listing and 30th October release date on Ipecac announced, with preorders available on some sites:

The Raging Wrath of the Easter Bunny Demo - Mr. Bungle - Vinyl - 12" Album Coloured Vinyl, Ipecac Recordings 2020.

Obviously the "zanier" material is cut to fit with the vibe of the recent shows, and with some covers thrown in:

1. Grizzly Adams
2. Anarchy Up Your Anus
3. Raping Your Mind
4. Hypocrites/Habla Espanol O Muere
5. Bungle Grind
6. Methematics
7. Eracist
8. Spreading the Thighs of Death
9. Loss for Words
10. Glutton for Punishment
11. Sudden Death

£38.99 for the vinyl.

PlanktonSideburns

will it sound worse or better than the fucked up cassette tape in a bin vibe of the original demo?

sutin

Quote from: Disc_4 on August 12, 2020, 06:24:42 PM
Purported track listing and 30th October release date on Ipecac announced, with preorders available on some sites:

The Raging Wrath of the Easter Bunny Demo - Mr. Bungle - Vinyl - 12" Album Coloured Vinyl, Ipecac Recordings 2020.

Obviously the "zanier" material is cut to fit with the vibe of the recent shows, and with some covers thrown in:

1. Grizzly Adams
2. Anarchy Up Your Anus
3. Raping Your Mind
4. Hypocrites/Habla Espanol O Muere
5. Bungle Grind
6. Methematics
7. Eracist
8. Spreading the Thighs of Death
9. Loss for Words
10. Glutton for Punishment
11. Sudden Death

£38.99 for the vinyl.

Double vinyl with remastered original demo would be the dream, but there's no way in fuck that is happening.

samadriel

I'll be pleased to hear a higher quality version of Grizzly Adams, I love that one. Don't really care about the rest of it.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Disc_4 on August 13, 2020, 07:01:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U5ZKKxqUzY

First "single".

Fun enough. Not sure the album will be getting more than one or two listens from me, but I'm sure it'll be a laugh.

McFlymo

Raping Your Mind was total piss.
I am fairly sure this is the only time I've just given up on a Patton related piece of music and lost all interest before it finished.

Boring thrash that would've sounded derivative in the mid-80s when they wrote it.
I mean, fair enough, they're having a lovely nostalgia trip and revisiting their  teenage years and I think that's kinda sweet and all,
BUT!
I think this whole reunion thing is utterly boring and a complete cynical cash in.
I am also tired of Patton re-using all Lombardo and Dunn for everything as well.
Agreed that the Dead Cross album grew on me after leaving it alone for a couple of years.

I just have no fucks to give for this Bungle stuff. It's a real shame they couldn't be arsed doing something decent, like those 3 really great albums they made.

(Plus they're releasing that racist S.O.D song as well, which I ranted about on here, elsewhere, but in summary: Fuck all of that tasteless shit.)

Aye, this can all fuck off.

sutin

"Rhea Perlman lends narration on "Anarchy Up Your Anus".

Dirty Boy

Another day, another crappy Bungle tune is released.

But don't take my word for it - Eracist.

Noodle Lizard

Dirty Boy

I'll be longing for a Tomahawk reunion at this rate.

What is Miguel Patton doing?! Why has he stopped being good?

samadriel

Fuck, I couldn't finish that.  Such tedium!

Shaky

Eh... it's alright, lads. Nothing groundbreaking but that main riff is catchy as hell.