Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:53:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble

Started by Kalabi, August 14, 2019, 11:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalabi

I've been rediscovering the mix albums that the FSOL / Amorphous Androgynous chaps did a while back, after I found a copy of the first cd compilation they did on an old hard drive.

Grabbed a copy of the Mojo cover cd mix they did (I think that's where it's from?), the Wizards of Oz all Australian mix and the second cd mix should be winging it's way to me from eBay as I'm typing this.

There are some of their mixes up on youtube, a lot of them seem to have been taken down (likely due to Beatles samples adn the likes).

There's a few up at the mo - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=monstrous+psychedelic+bubble

Anyway, yay or nay?

I find the album long mixes great for passing the time during office based drudge.

Lordofthefiles

It's a big YAY from me.
The first volume is blistering from beginning to end.
I found loads of obscure stuff I had no idea existed after researching some of the tunes on it.
I love the way they "enhance" the music they use too rather than just blending a compilation together.

Also, when I first heard it I had no idea it was FSOL.
When I found that out their already established hero status went through the roof!

Kalabi

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on August 14, 2019, 11:42:08 AM

I love the way they "enhance" the music they use too rather than just blending a compilation together.

Yeah I love sample spotting in their mixes, like the old Essential Mixes with the Silent Running samples.

BlodwynPig

I think they also did a remix thing for a Syd Arthur album (a newish prog band leaning heavily on old psych motives, hence the name).

Kalabi

Ah I'll have to check that out, blimey it's a fortune on eBay! Digital version still up on the fsol site though.

https://www.fsoldigital.com/product/syd-arthur-a-monstrous-psychedelic-bubble-remixes-by-the-amorphous-androgynous/

Epic Bisto

The first one is probably the only one you need, although if you want to go further skip the second one (well patchy and doesn't really gel on the whole) and go for the third one (better but not as good as #1).

olliebean

What about the fourth one (the Australian one)?

Brundle-Fly

Love 'em.

The Andy Votel mixes are essential too. 

Music To Watch Girls Cry (2003)
Folk Is Not a Four Letter Word (2005)
Vertigo Mixed (2005)
Songs in the Key of Death (2005)
Songs of Insolence (2005)
Welsh Rare Beat (2005)
Prog Is Not a Four Letter Word (2006)
One Nation Under a Grave (2007)

Crabwalk

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 14, 2019, 11:48:36 AM
I think they also did a remix thing for a Syd Arthur album (a newish prog band leaning heavily on old psych motives, hence the name).

They did, and it's really good.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 14, 2019, 11:29:58 PM
Love 'em.

The Andy Votel mixes are essential too. 

Music To Watch Girls Cry (2003)
Folk Is Not a Four Letter Word (2005)
Vertigo Mixed (2005)
Songs in the Key of Death (2005)
Songs of Insolence (2005)
Welsh Rare Beat (2005)
Prog Is Not a Four Letter Word (2006)
One Nation Under a Grave (2007)

essential

purlieu

The first 2CD is excellent, as is the third. Agreed that the second is the least essential, although still worth a listen. They're all out of print and can go for a fair amount.
Never gave the Oz one much of a listen, shockingly. Should really revisit that.

That said, the early radio shows are the peak for me. The 1997 one, back when they were first really discovering this stuff, that features a bunch of sounds and samples they were still using from their Dead Cities-era ISDN tour, is my favourite radio show they did. Part 1 + Part 2 on Mixcloud (also check the Monstrous Bubble page from there - 3, 5, 6 and 8 are also on there. They're much more like the old FSOL Essential Mix / Kiss shows, with layers of samples, spoken word, etc. in the mix.

The Syd Arthur remix album is pretty decent, although my favourite is the 22 minute Oasis remix, which is effectively a five track EP in itself. At some point there might be a Monstrous Bubble remixes & covers album - apparently - which should be decent as they've mostly done very good jobs on artists as diverse as DJ Food and The Kooks.

As FSOL they've done a series of radio shows and podcasts called The Electric Brain Storms which can be similar in tone, if a bit darker: a lot of krautrock, acid folk, jazz, psych-funk, early electronic music, modern classical and some ambient bits. Eight is probably the closest, and Six (1 - 2) is the jazziest.

Famous Mortimer

Definitely agree on the Andy Votel recommendations too, they're great.

Epic Bisto

Quote from: olliebean on August 14, 2019, 10:58:53 PM
What about the fourth one (the Australian one)?

Ooh, that's news to me.  Will check it out.

Kalabi

I got the Oz one recently and I particularly liked that the tripped out people talking bits are all Australian samples as well.