Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:35:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Reserved seats in multiplexes

Started by holyzombiejesus, August 14, 2019, 07:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

What a stupid fucking idea. Is this a new thing? Just been to a Vue cinema to see OUATIH and everyone was allocated a specific seat. Absolute fucking shambles. Doors were at 3, film started about half past. 16:00: cue fuckwits stood at the end of aisles with phones lit up trying to read tickets and find unlit/ non-glowing aisle and seats, and then forcing almost entire rows to stand and / or move. Presume it's so that people can reserve a seat if they book online but it's a really fucking stupid idea, especially for pleb audiences at multiplexes.

chveik

they were already doing this in sweden ten years ago. shit for cunts.

Sebastian Cobb

I've not seen them do that in years. I'm sure UGC or UCI used to do that back when they still showed local adverts on photographic slides.

They've been reserved for a few years in Vue, Cineworld too. I find it easier.

NoSleep

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 14, 2019, 07:14:03 PM
What a stupid fucking idea. Is this a new thing? Just been to a Vue cinema to see OUATIH and everyone was allocated a specific seat. Absolute fucking shambles. Doors were at 3, film started about half past. 16:00: cue fuckwits stood at the end of aisles with phones lit up trying to read tickets and find unlit/ non-glowing aisle and seats, and then forcing almost entire rows to stand and / or move. Presume it's so that people can reserve a seat if they book online but it's a really fucking stupid idea, especially for pleb audiences at multiplexes.

Was it packed? If not, just sit anywhere. Can you pick your seat?

Its because the ticket system is automized now. You go to the booking machine, pick your seat and pay for it. It makes a lot of sense.

BlodwynPig

Congratulations! We've allocated your seat for the afternoon screening of Playmobil: The Movie. Fat men either side, tall man in front, screaming popcorn throwing child behind. Only 5 tickets sold. Dont you dare move though, there's a tingler under every other seat

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on August 14, 2019, 07:40:36 PM
Its because the ticket system is automized now. You go to the booking machine, pick your seat and pay for it. It makes a lot of sense.

I don't see how that's more sensible than paying for my ticket then picking my seat. Do cinemas even get busy enough for this to be an issue these days?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 14, 2019, 07:17:35 PM
I've not seen them do that in years. I'm sure UGC or UCI used to do that back when they still showed local adverts on photographic slides.

If only it was slides, at least they'd be stable and legible, out our way they seemed to be rendered on celluloid left over from old Harold Lloyd movies, held up to the camera by a very shaky person perched on a shoogly chair, filmed through  a vaseline smeared scratched lens, and with audio recorded on a wax cylinder and then buried for 10 years.

Happy days though, happy days.

Sebastian Cobb

Oh yeah, the pre reels and the idents telling people not to use mobiles or smoke looked like they'd been picked up off the ground after a stampede.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 14, 2019, 07:57:22 PM
I don't see how that's more sensible than paying for my ticket then picking my seat. Do cinemas even get busy enough for this to be an issue these days?
Because it stops seats being oversold, enables familys to ensure they get seats together ahead oftimes. Enables people to to book seats remotley. Enables the Cinema to offer differen't types of seating with different price structures.

Twed

What if there's a data leak? All local witches will know where your children are sitting.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on August 14, 2019, 08:42:54 PM
Because it stops seats being oversold, enables familys to ensure they get seats together ahead oftimes. Enables people to to book seats remotley.

The first point just requires counting, I've never known it be an issue before electronic ticket sales, and should never be an issue since, nothing to do with who sits where.

I'm not sure the second point is a positive, if anything it enables a bunch of tardy pricks to ruin the start of a film for everyone else as they bus their kids into their seats and spend the next 10 minutes taking jackets of and fidgeting, maybe they should just get there early?

Remote booking doesn't need a seat allocation either. I've booked things online and over the phone and still been able to sit wherever I've liked.

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on August 14, 2019, 08:42:54 PM
Enables the Cinema to offer differen't types of seating with different price structures.

price gouging is positive actually!

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 14, 2019, 08:50:34 PM
price gouging is positive actually!
You've revealed yourself in this thread to be not much of a Cinema user. As a regular user of Cinemas, The modern booking system suits my needs better than the more nostalgic ways of the past. As for the premium seating, I'll take it, more leg room, comfyer seats, but best of all your less likely to have people sit next to you.

Sebastian Cobb

According to the history page of the cinema I'm a member of I've been 9 times this year. Which admittedly, based on a regular rate throughout the year is a downturn from the 41 times I went last year.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 14, 2019, 09:06:44 PM
According to the history page of the cinema I'm a member of I've been 9 times this year. Which admittedly, based on a regular rate throughout the year is a downturn from the 41 times I went last year.

Then why did you ask this question then?

Is the Cinema you are a member of an Art/ Independent Cinema or a Multiplex, I can imagine there is a difference.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 14, 2019, 07:17:35 PM
I've not seen them do that in years. I'm sure UGC or UCI used to do that
UCI definitely did. In fact, I thought not allocating seats was the more recent practice.

It doesn't seem to be standard anyway. The Vue near me does this, but the Odeon doesn't.

Dex Sawash

My preferred cinema has this and I approve. The front row has conjoined pairs of seats upholstered footstools. Front row is also about 2x as far from screen as normal.

Replies From View

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 14, 2019, 07:14:03 PM
cue fuckwits stood at the end of aisles with phones lit up trying to read tickets and find unlit/ non-glowing aisle and seats,

It's the fuckwits that are the problem, not the system of allocating seats.

It is not difficult at all to find out what seat you booked before you go into the darkened auditorium.  In fact it is probably one of the world's top five easiest things ever.

holyzombiejesus

It'd be ok if people stuck to their specified seat, turned up before the start of the film and seats/ aisles were clearly marked. The third is pretty simple but 1 and 2 are never going to happen in a multiplex. We had the aisles clogged up with imbeciles who obviously couldn't even tell the time, all muttering and gesticulating even though the film had started half an hour ago. They should say that the seat reservation is cancelled at the moment the trailers start and if you come in after that, you can fuck off and sit on the floor.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Replies From View on August 15, 2019, 01:35:29 PM
It's the fuckwits that are the problem, not the system of allocating seats.

It is not difficult at all to find out what seat you booked before you go into the darkened auditorium.

But the system is in place to be used by fuckwits so it's a fuckwitted system. If they're going to do it, at least get an usher in there to show people where they have to sit rather than trusting people who probably have to have velcro instead of laces. Besides, for some reason, row H wasn't even the 8th row back in the screen I went to yesterday.

Replies From View

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 15, 2019, 01:39:17 PM
But the system is in place to be used by fuckwits so it's a fuckwitted system. If they're going to do it, at least get an usher in there to show people where they have to sit rather than trusting people who probably have to have velcro instead of laces. Besides, for some reason, row H wasn't even the 8th row back in the screen I went to yesterday.

Well yeah you should have it so that you can see the row and seat numbers clearly, obviously.  But having illegible markers in some cinemas isn't an indication that the whole system is fuckwitted.

The problem - the only problem here - is letting fuckwits into cinemas.  All the issues that make cinema-going a miserable experience nowadays - the endless stuffing of faces with snacks, the brazen use of mobile phones, the unrelenting chatting between pals who can't grasp that they are in a public place rather than their own home - boil down to the fact that fuckwits are allowed into a shared environment that they are not yet ready for.

Train fuckwits how to behave outside of the house, and keep the seat allocation system.  Win-win.

kalowski

Why would I not want to reserve seats? Buy online, choose where to sit - and so I pick the end of a row so I won't need to move when some incontinent wanker needs to relieve their weak and slack bladder.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Dex Sawash on August 15, 2019, 01:02:24 AM
Front row is also about 2x as far from screen as normal.

'We've, er, moved the front row to the back where there's more room, sir.'

There's one born every minute.

mothman

Jesus. Every time I think about starting posting again, I read a thread like this. And I don't even need to look in General Bullshit for it! It beggars belief what you lot can find to curmudge about. Is the weather there REALLY BAD right now, or something? (I'm in Croatia! It's 30+ degrees! I got sunburnt today!)

Because, really? Reserved seats? OK, we don't go to the cinema much (kids, you know) and when we do we usually go to Vue. Which is five minutes drive away (literally - it takes longer to park). And it's been reserved seats there for... a while? So long, I can't remember when it changed.

And it's not a problem. Choose a cinema (this bit's easy, for reasons already stated). Choose a film (also easy - we usually go to see a specific film, rather than making cinemagoing the end in itself). Choose a date and time. Specify number, type and location of seats. Pay. Get confirmation and e-ticket. It's hardly rocket science. Well, apart from the bit where you learn the hard way not to use the MyVue app - which is designed to make each stage of the venue-film-date-time-seats-pay-confirmation process as difficult, time-consuming, and likely to fail utterly, as possible.

Sebastian Cobb

I hope everyone who reserves a seat has some tall cunt reserve one in front of them.

Wet Blanket

It's not so much the where is the seat as the who's sitting near you that makes the new thing of making you pick a seat before you go in such a ballbag. I much preferred going in, getting the lay of the land and choosing a spot based on that - gaggle of teenagers, sit far away from; tall man in top hat, sit in front of etc.

holyzombiejesus

Why do people need to reserve a seat? Just get there on fucking time or a bit early and you can have your pick. Reservations just encourage lateness.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Wet Blanket on August 16, 2019, 09:38:20 AM
It's not so much the where is the seat as the who's sitting near you that makes the new thing of making you pick a seat before you go in such a ballbag. I much preferred going in, getting the lay of the land and choosing a spot based on that - gaggle of teenagers, sit far away from; tall man in top hat, sit in front of etc.

This.

NoSleep

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 16, 2019, 10:16:40 AM
Why do people need to reserve a seat? Just get there on fucking time or a bit early and you can have your pick. Reservations just encourage lateness.

That's why you should just sit where you want, and when they turn up late demanding that you vacate their seat you can just point them in the direction of some other empty seats. I mean, this is 2019, there's always going to be empty seats.