Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:02:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

National girls-jumping-in-the-air day

Started by Icehaven, August 15, 2019, 06:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

this is the worst National girls-jumping-in-the-air day ever

imitationleather

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 15, 2019, 07:37:35 PM
this is the worst National girls-jumping-in-the-air day ever

Glinner has been going mental all day complaining that as there's no guarantee they really are girls anymore he can no longer enjoy it.

I wish these kids jump off the floor and what if they just keep goin :(((

Pinball

Jump for me baby. And again. And again. Ooh yeah, keep it going, I'm nearly there. You'll have your first year of fees paid in no time, sweetie.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Pinball on August 15, 2019, 11:18:06 PM
Jump for me baby. And again. And again. Ooh yeah, keep it going, I'm nearly there. You'll have your first year of fees paid in no time, sweetie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOMJKl4DcFE

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 15, 2019, 06:53:59 PM
Lol fat people are hilarious and it's totally ok to bully them.
If you can provide solid documentary evidence that you didn't laugh (however guiltily) at any of the comments that were a-posted after that picture, I shall personally give  your post the LJAMC seal of approval.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 15, 2019, 11:38:10 PM
If you can provide solid documentary evidence that you didn't laugh (however guiltily) at any of the comments that were a-posted after that picture, I shall personally give  your post the LJAMC seal of approval.

Mate, that was some McIntyre-tier observational shit.

Replies From View

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 16, 2019, 09:54:46 AM
Mate, that was some McIntyre-tier observational shit.

And you love Michael McIntyre or not

Today's the paedo jailbait edition.  Mail have gone with it anyway, of course.

I was reading that GCSEs have been reformed to remove the coursework element, and to consist of just a final exam at the end of two years.  So, like it was when I did them, basically.  Apparently some kids had refused to sit them, citing too much stress and impact on mental health.  What's going on here?  That didn't happen when I did them.

Education budgets are at an all time low.  Teaching standards are worse than ever before, with teachers stretched more than ever, sometimes teaching subjects which aren't even their subject.  It's all very well to want to better differentiate the higher achievers, but only if there's some path in place for those who don't do as well, rather than being consigned to the societal scrap heap.  Under the Tories, there's no way that's the case.  I find it all ultimately very sad, as, in principle, I think raising the difficulty of exams is a good thing, but we should be aiming to raise the level of education to match. 

They had some Tory ghoul on Sky News this morning, gleefully explaining that it was good that children found the exams so stressful because it prepares them for the stresses they'll inevitably face in adult life.

Some might suggest that unhealthy levels of stress being the norm might be something we'd want to address for the betterment of society rather than training our kids to live a life lurching from one mental health crisis to the next, but I  guess that would be commie talk.

Paul Calf

I fucking hated the coursework bullshit. 11 years of schooling to prepare us to sit exams then they yanked the rug out and decided it'd be continuous assessment with coursework instead.

Stinking Tory bastard shitcunts. Fuck them.

bgmnts

It was A levels that broke me, GCSEs were a piece of piss. Although if we could get away with having mental issues back when I took them I'd probably be doing that too.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Darles Chickens on August 22, 2019, 10:42:11 AM
Today's the paedo jailbait edition.  Mail have gone with it anyway, of course.

Very nice of Prince Andrew to go to that school and personally congratulate all the 16 year old girls though.

shiftwork2

Reading about this I sort of miss the exam buzz now.  Turning the paper over and thinking 'yess' or 'ah fuck, you bastard'.  The summer vibe.  Libraries, endless cups of coffee. Planning on the pub with your mates once it's all over.

Romanticised it a tad there I think.  Fucking awful in reality.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 22, 2019, 11:14:17 AM
I fucking hated the coursework bullshit. 11 years of schooling to prepare us to sit exams then they yanked the rug out and decided it'd be continuous assessment with coursework instead.

The opposite for me.  I've always gone to pieces in tests and exams - even in adulthood - and, even if I know the subject back to front, either fail them or only just scrape a pass.  I always preferred coursework, and the coursework subjects were always the ones I did well in.

To give a real world example, I did an exam for a qualification relating to my current energy job and got 46% (which is obviously a catastrafail), all because I was so fucking stressed throughout the exam.  I then found out that I could get the same qualification from the same accreditor through an applied learning route (basically coursework).  So, exactly the same knowledge base and the same questions but requiring long-form answers, and I got 97%.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 22, 2019, 04:57:37 PM
The opposite for me.  I've always gone to pieces in tests and exams - even in adulthood - and, even if I know the subject back to front, either fail them or only just scrape a pass.  I always preferred coursework, and the coursework subjects were always the ones I did well in.

Moi aussi. That, and being lazy

bgmnts

I was tres merde at both. I couldn't even manage to get the Welsh Baccalaureate bollocks, which was considered a doss class and easy UCAS points.

Twed

Quote from: bgmnts on August 22, 2019, 11:20:32 AM
It was A levels that broke me, GCSEs were a piece of piss. Although if we could get away with having mental issues back when I took them I'd probably be doing that too.
Haha, yeah. I confided in my tutors about suffering from depression and was told that it was really bad for their performance metrics.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Darles Chickens on August 22, 2019, 10:42:11 AM
Education budgets are at an all time low.  Teaching standards are worse than ever before, with teachers stretched more than ever, sometimes teaching subjects which aren't even their subject.

That happened at my school back in 1990 where our french teacher left when I had one year left and was replaced by the needlework teacher who didn't speak any french at all, and our physics teacher left and the chemistry teacher took over. You might not think it was so bad with the latter but half way through the lesson he'd have started talking all about chemistry, and the majority of students failed both subjects. Obviously it's very shit that it's still happening, and is probably worse now, but it's not a new occurrence.

And I definitely preferred coursework over exams. I didn't hate the latter, but always did better with the former.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: bgmnts on August 22, 2019, 11:20:32 AMIt was A levels that broke me, GCSEs were a piece of piss.

Yeah me too, more or less.

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on August 22, 2019, 11:02:56 AMThey had some Tory ghoul on Sky News this morning, gleefully explaining that it was good that children found the exams so stressful because it prepares them for the stresses they'll inevitably face in adult life.

And some people wonder why they have the reputation of being The Nasty Party...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It's good Tory MPs are hunted down and burned at the stake, as it will prepare them for the ambient temperature in Hell.

Twed

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 22, 2019, 07:04:34 PM
It's good Tory MPs are hunted down and burned at the stake, as it will prepare them for the ambient temperature in Hell.

Hah!!

Noodle Lizard

I've never really understood what exams test or teach that has much practical use in the real world.  I was always pretty good at them, because you're essentially just learning how to answer the exam the way they want you to rather than properly absorbing and applying knowledge.  You can't truly internalize information about 9+ different subjects (many of which you have no interest in) in the space of just a couple of teenage years.  I reckon they oughta let you narrow down your subjects A-level style by the time of GCSEs, and make A-levels more similar to an undergrad course - one, possibly two subjects.  Coursework always seemed like the better gauge of someone's aptitude (and interest) for a subject, and it seems far more applicable to most careers than sitting silently in an uncomfortable room with a few hundred other people for three hours, dreading every belly gurgle while you pretend to care about Old Man and the Sea.