Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:53:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Dave Chappelle stand up special on Netflix

Started by Monsieur Verdoux, August 15, 2019, 04:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyOkypzFfHo

August 26th

gonna be fucking great, the amount of Chappelle we've been getting recently is unreal

momatt

The last one was very good.  He seems effortlessly hilarious.

Schnapple

That promo would be very annoying if Gervais was the subject, but it's Chapelle, so it's somehow cool and exciting.

DrGreggles

Never seen him since he became a superstar, but I can't shake the feeling that I saw him in an NYC club in 97/98 time.
He was the best on a shit bill that night, if it was him.

up_the_hampipe

I saw Chappelle last year (with Jon Stewart) at the Royal Albert Hall. He had some great stuff, but it was incomplete, so hopefully a lot of this will be fresh to my ears. I hope he does the Chuck Berry bit, it's delightful and disgusting.

MortSahlFan

Great news! I will watch it as soon as I get home...

Thanks for the post!

up_the_hampipe

I loved this special and a lot of the material (in the first half, at least) was different from what I saw last year. He's really going for that South Park immunity.

up_the_hampipe

Oh, FYI there's an epilogue that comes up after the credits. An extra 22 minutes of material filmed on Broadway.

And the epilogue is pretty much as rewarding as the show itself in a low key way

mr. logic

Is he going to do a transphobic bit in every one of these?

Apparently so, as he's a natural hornet's nest poker, and seems to enjoy the divisive reaction that such bits get. I can't say that I find his material on trans issues to be particularly accomplished, as he doesn't seem to be able to find an original angle on it, falling back on the usual "I identify as..." stuff which has been done and done. But it's 5 minutes of sub-par material in an hour long set which is mostly magic, and although I can totally understand why the segment may be off-putting to some, his whole thing is saying terrible things he doesn't really believe for a laugh. I think the disappointing thing is that you'd expect his trans material to be better, seeing as he's usually so adept at finding a provocatively funny angle.

I also don't approach art with the hope that I will agree with 100% of the attitude or implied convictions. I'm not saying that anyone here does that necessarily, but you do see people being written off as artists entirely just because they're only 95% sound on social issues.

This is tricky territory, and I was hoping maybe that we could discuss the special without getting into it so soon, but I guess it has to be addressed. Chappelle made the provocation, so people will naturally talk about it and that's fair enough.

mr. logic

The abortion bit was excellent. Uncomfortably logical in its coldness and sort of left you hanging about his actual view- he didn't hold your hand through at all. And that's trenchant and brave and, despite disagreeing, I thought it was actually a bit of breathtaking comedy.

But yeah, I can't quite believe he did the 'What if I identified if...' does anybody need that joke/observation again? Likewise his hacky take on suicide (which was done better by his good mate Louie in 2017).

I certainly didn't want to derail your thread though. I was just a bit shocked that he did it again, and again with- as you say- precisely nothing new to say on the subject. Don't want him #cancelled or owt.

lankyguy95

He's a king.

That Jussie Smollett bit was fantastic.

Terryfuckwit

Proper underwhelmed. Gonna have give it another go

Noodle Lizard

I thought it was good, but I'm pretty surprised at how much of a free pass he gets from some people who've condemned other comedians for far less.

I saw one of those woke Twitter threads shared around recently where they insist that you show "your white young boys" comedians like Dave Chappelle (among others) instead of Louis CK (among others), so they don't become radicalized against "the snowflakes".  I can only give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they haven't seen any of his work outside of the odd episode of Chappelle's Show.

alan nagsworth

Surely the fact that his shitty transphobic/Jackson-apologetic bits are so underdeveloped is a sign that those bits are closer to his actual opinion and he's trying to get that out in the open under the veil of laughter, as opposed to being deliberately edgy and provocative but also very funny at the same time?

I just don't think he's doing himself any favours with this crap. He says words to the effect of "you can't say anything nowadays" but I saw Eric Andre perform last night and he did a lot of the same vein of "I'm not supposed to be saying this" material but it was slathered with maniacal, anarchic absurdism and it played out brilliantly for the entire set. So maybe Chappelle is just failing to keep up with the times? I mean it's hardly surprising is it

Whug Baspin

Quote from: Alan NagsworthI just don't think he's doing himself any favours with this crap
He pulls a pretty smart judo move early on at 'you are the worst motherfuckers I have tried to entertain in my fucking life.' Just stripped off any attempt at analysis for me, I was shocked and laughed a lot throughout. I think he does say 'I'm about to say something I'm not allowed to say' then 'I don't believe these motherfuckers' at the Michael Jackson section, but I'm not sure he uses it as a springboard for all his material.

I didn't think the Jackson bit was underdeveloped, I must admit that I thought it was very funny. I doubt that it's what he really thinks, because the logic is so self-evidently absurd. Contrast this with the Louis CK bit, where his joke falls flat because it lacks that edge of absurdity, as it's rather obviously his real opinion so it kind of falls flat because he's being more (or less) careful about getting a point across

Piggyoioi

Really couldn't care less about people joking about trans people, but I didn't find much of this that laugh out loud. A handful of exhales out the nose.

Was still entertaining because its Chappelle but I havent cared that much for his new specials. Not sure exactly why, I need to check out his older stuff again (been a while) but I remember him being able to paint these little stories and characters in his own absurd way which seems lacking here.

I've heard other people say similar things, that he's undergone a change in style that they find less rewarding now

Piggyoioi

I also found the repetitive corpsing/running to the back of the stage at his 'oh-no-he-didn't' bits a little annoying and undeserved. maybe i've just been poisoned by the podcasts i listen to these days but I found little if anything he said particularly shocking.

madhair60

Not gonna lie, having not watched any Dave Chappelle this thread makes him sound god fucking awful.

It is pretty funny that it's ended up being like "Okay, so his 'the holocaust didn't happen' material is a little clumsy but..."

MortSahlFan

I am glad Dave didn't hit his mic against himself 800 times for effect.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on August 28, 2019, 11:46:37 AM
It is pretty funny that it's ended up being like "Okay, so his 'the holocaust didn't happen' material is a little clumsy but..."

I was at the taping for Bill Burr's next special. When that comes out, I'm going to be doing a lot of this. Chappelle and Burr could go full Jim Davidson and I'd still pathetically try to defend them.

East of Eden

Fuck me a lot of it was just moronic. You had the apache helicopter trans joke, the every kid's dream paedo joke, tired stupid shiiit. The bad faith comparison between using the word 'faggot' and 'n**ger' as well. Impossible to get on board with a lot of it.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: East of Eden on August 28, 2019, 06:39:39 PM
Fuck me a lot of it was just moronic. You had the apache helicopter trans joke, the every kid's dream paedo joke, tired stupid shiiit. The bad faith comparison between using the word 'faggot' and 'n**ger' as well. Impossible to get on board with a lot of it.

Yes, exactly. Even if these aren't opinions the man genuinely holds, that doesn't change the fact that the jokes are lazy garbage. Seemingly he thinks that the world has moved on into wokedom but all the low hanging fruit is still ripe for the picking, but that isn't the case, and again proves my point that he's really showing his age with that material.

I like Chappelle's older "classic" material and have frequently found it very amusing but these comeback specials, whilst obviously nowhere near devoid of humorous content, are just underwhelming to me. I don't think by any means the controversial stuff is a CANCELLABLE OFFENCE but neither do I believe anything else is deserving of the heaps of praise it appears to be garnering.