Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:04:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Dave Chappelle stand up special on Netflix

Started by Monsieur Verdoux, August 15, 2019, 04:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selectivememory

Quote from: East of Eden on August 28, 2019, 06:39:39 PM
Fuck me a lot of it was just moronic. You had the apache helicopter trans joke, the every kid's dream paedo joke, tired stupid shiiit. The bad faith comparison between using the word 'faggot' and 'n**ger' as well. Impossible to get on board with a lot of it.

It's weird to me to see this guy held up as some kind of comedy god when so much of his material is that bad. Like, if Gervais was performing the same material, he would be getting slaughtered for it here. I suppose Chappelle gets away with it to an extent because he is a far more charismatic performer than someone like Gervais. I do find it hard to dislike him even when I think he's being pretty repugnant.

I think I said something similar the last time he released specials, but I do find him a frustrating comic to watch because there is obviously an incredible talent there, but too often he just resorts to lazy, hacky jokes and obvious shit punchlines you can see coming a mile off. When he's actually talking about something he understands (stuff about race as opposed to #metoo or LGBT issues), and he really gets into telling the story, he is amazing to watch. But that's like 25% at best of any given special.

chveik

why do these comedians feel the need to base their material on current issues? the whole antiwoke thing is already boring af. they should focus on funniness

Dr Rock

Terryfuckwit

Nothing he said offended me, and truth be told, I find trans as weird as Dave does (sorry) but not funny enough for me, I'm afraid. I agree that his 'oooh shit' reactions to himself were unwarranted. Now i'm a typical CAB criticising cunt

mojo filters

I thought this was up there with the best of his live shows. Thankfully a bit faster paced than some, with much less of that intrusive and potentially irritating laugh/mic hit tic he can't seem to help.

I wasn't offended by anything, but some of the material likely to offend others did drag on a bit and just wasn't really funny in the end.

His Louis CK bit was superb! Short, sharply observed, plus as I recall a thematic callback to a bit from a previous show.

Overall I'm not entirely convinced his comic stature is quite so richly deserved, though to be fair I can't even remember the Chappelle Show, hence just going by his more recent output.

On the other hand compared with most big name comedians, Dave Chappelle always comes off as a really charming, engaging and down to earth bloke.

He seems like he'd be a really interesting and entertaining person to just hang around with for long periods of time, compared with certain other high profile comics.

The golden rule of comedy (which deranged anti-SJW trolls never get) is that if you are going to say something controversial you had better guarantee that it is funny.

The Michael Jackson bit I thought was funny. Verdict: pass.

The trans stuff in the latest special was hack garbage which at this point is so hack as to qualify more as hatespeech than actual comedy. (Because of how tired the material is.) Verdict: CANCELED!

Quote from: mojo filters on August 29, 2019, 12:56:38 AM
His Louis CK bit was superb! Short, sharply observed, plus as I recall a thematic callback to a bit from a previous show.

'Thematic callback'? He just did the same bad jokes twice in two different shows. It's only justifiable as provocation, there was nothing 'sharply observed' about it whatsoever

Seriously it's a weird bit to single out for praise

Terryfuckwit

Urinal Cake

Chappelle Show was great because of the skits. But Chappelle as a stand up is average. I think he's the default comedian of the 2000s because frankly there are a bunch of guys- white, black, male, female, gay, straight grew up with the dude. They've grown up enough they can't outright support Cosby, Louis CK etc but they can bandwagon Chappelle.

Iirc Chappelle is of course a hypocritical snowflake- I mean part of the reason he quit his show was because a crew member was laughing at his racist shit the wrong way- at him rather than with him.

mojo filters

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on August 29, 2019, 01:48:06 AM
Seriously it's a weird bit to single out for praise

I liked how it was structured, as a topical and stylistic swerve to an observational bit - topping off his much longer, slower burning satire on how society likes to label very specific identities, potentially to unnecessary excess.

In terms of the overall show, I thought his Jussie Smollett routine was the best part. Lots of consistently good laughs, delivered via an impressively original take on a relatively current issue. Of course, it may not date well once folks have forgotten all the details that you couldn't escape over the course of several news cycles.

Quote from: Urinal Cake on August 29, 2019, 04:35:35 AM
Chappelle Show was great because of the skits. But Chappelle as a stand up is average. I think he's the default comedian of the 2000s because frankly there are a bunch of guys- white, black, male, female, gay, straight grew up with the dude. They've grown up enough they can't outright support Cosby, Louis CK etc but they can bandwagon Chappelle.

Iirc Chappelle is of course a hypocritical snowflake- I mean part of the reason he quit his show was because a crew member was laughing at his racist shit the wrong way- at him rather than with him.

Old Chappelle is distinctly above average as a stand-up. He has some of my favorite bits of all time.

But I'm not surprised that his brain was broken by the unbelievable success of Chappelle's Show and years of fratboys throughout the world telling him "I'm Rick James, bitch!", etc.

Urinal Cake

You could do a riff off Stewart Lee's Hammond bit but replace Hammond with Chappelle and 'car crash' with 'career and mental breakdown.'

chrispmartha

Is it strange that I've never heard or seen anything from this guy?

I just googled him thinking I'd go 'ah it's him' but no, not got a clue.

Have I actually been asleep for 15 years or something?

buntyman

I think I might try out that trans/Chinese gag in the office tea room tomorrow and then do that walking away thing he does. I'm new to the job but think it'll go down well

Quote from: mojo filters on August 29, 2019, 04:44:05 AM
I liked how it was structured, as a topical and stylistic swerve to an observational bit - topping off his much longer, slower burning satire on how society likes to label very specific identities, potentially to unnecessary excess.

What was the sharply made observation? That women overreact to being masturbated at? That Louis is too fat and ugly to be credibly sexually threatening? It's just a garbled version of his own opinion, no amount of jargon can save it from being a weak diversion into axe grinding

The Michael Jackson bit mined similar territory and was very very funny, but I wouldn't claim it was sharply observed

up_the_hampipe

Unfortunately, Chappelle's bollocks opinion on the MJ situation has fuelled the estate to continue badgering Wade Robson https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/michael-jacksons-estate-blasts-wade-223206289.html?

thugler

So annoying to have a pretty great set interrupted with garbage trans material, just tired and lacking in nuance. He seems to revel in his ignorance at times. The n**ger/faggot stuff was a bit weak as well, the same reason he wouldn't be cool with a white guy doing black impressions/shit jokes/calling him a n**ger is why he shouldn't say it. The Jackson material was okay I thought, just audience baiting stuff rather than serious. Defending ck, meh.

He's so talented and is a great physical comedian too, I really miss that aspect of him and it only comes out sparingly in his stand up. He seems a bit lazy and stuck in his ways and lifestyle that makes him a bit out of touch. It would be great if people (there's one in this thread even) who find trans 'weird' just bothered to learn about it and understand it rather than continue with ignorance. It's really not that hard, and you will eventually feel as idiotic as those who found gay people 'weird' not long ago.

Oh and i didn't get the extra 20 minutes on Netflix? I watched it on my phone though. Can anyone help?

dirkgonnadirk

you need to go to the end of the episode. fast forward to the end and then there should be a popup about an epilogue.

Pdine

Enjoyed this far more than the last one, which seemed like the final work of a man with no urge to write jokes any more.

Rolf Lundgren

First Chappelle special I've seen and it was alright although disappointing in parts. I can see why people like him so much though because with his best material he must be brilliant purely through his charisma and stage presence. Laughed a few times at the Jessie Smollet stuff and thought the opening was really strong. The LGBT stuff was all pretty unoriginal.

Quote from: dirkgonnadirk on August 31, 2019, 01:38:19 PM
you need to go to the end of the episode. fast forward to the end and then there should be a popup about an epilogue.

I almost preferred this to the special. Thought it was a very nice mini documentary with some good off-the-cuff material.