Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:58:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The first two Peter Kay stand up videos

Started by madhair60, August 16, 2019, 11:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Top of the Tower and Bolton Albert Halls

Funny as fuck mate don't care what you say. Used to be good, what happened?

idunnosomename

couldnt be bothered writing any new jokes because he became a lazy man

Utter Shit

He ran out of things he could remember that other people had forgotten about.

Na fair play the one at the Bolton Albert Hall is fantastic. Is it that he went shit after those early shows, or did he just stop doing stand up altogether? I remember him getting criticised for releasing sly compilation DVDs that were packaged as new shows, but I don't remember him ever putting out new shows that were badly received?

On a related note - much of Lee Evans' stuff is very, very shit indeed, but the Wembley show is inspired madness from start to finish.

buzby

He fell out with Dave Spikey and Neil Fitzmaurice and so had nobody to steal jokes from.

iamcoop

There's an old comedy store set of his on YouTube which I believe pre-dates his released stuff and I always thought it was very funny. Top of the tower is quite good also. Out of yer McIntyres, Howards, Bishops etc he's the only massive mainstream comic that's ever really made me laugh. Series 1 of Phoenix Nights is also excellent and stands up against most sitcoms of the last 20 years in my opinion. Shit now and dead soon though.

Replies From View

That Peter Kay Thing is a showcase of his creative talents and they never returned after that.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: iamcoop on August 16, 2019, 01:29:35 PM
There's an old comedy store set of his on YouTube which I believe pre-dates his released stuff and I always thought it was very funny.
I can remember watching Paramount Comedy Channel around 1999/2000 and him doing a set and finding it funny - there was a bit about the crap acting/censored dialouge on Crimewatch reconstructions.

Quote from: buzby on August 16, 2019, 12:20:17 PMHe fell out with Dave Spikey and Neil Fitzmaurice and so had nobody to steal jokes from.
A friend was a regular at a comedy bar in South Manchester years back, where some of the Phoenix Nights lot used to do sets, none of whom (after a few drinks) seemed to have much good to say about Kay.

Absorb the anus burn

Major league cunt according to a mate of mine who worked on a couple of his shows.

Never found him funny before hearing the 'anecdotes'... Soz like.

TheMonk

What happened after he cancelled his tour? Any reason given? Is he ill?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: TheMonk on August 16, 2019, 01:53:45 PM
What happened after he cancelled his tour? Any reason given? Is he ill?
If you believe the shite people talk in Manchester, he's been at death's door for years - every other wanker has a friend of an Aunt who works at Christie's who saw Kay getting chemo etc etc.

bigfatheart

Quote from: Utter Shit on August 16, 2019, 12:08:26 PM
Is it that he went shit after those early shows, or did he just stop doing stand up altogether?

Judging by Wikipedia, there was a twenty-date engagement at the Manchester Arena in 2009, plus the arena tour that was cancelled a couple of years ago. I believe that, back when he was a circuit comic, he had a reputation for being a bit of a cunt to other stand-ups, and was pretty open about his disdain for them. Considering he's always said that Ronnie Barker was his idol, I wonder if he's far more interested in the sitcom side of things and only ever saw stand-up as a means to an end? And these days, something he can do every few years as a nice money-spinner.

metaltax

Quote from: Replies From View on August 16, 2019, 01:38:26 PM
That Peter Kay Thing is a showcase of his creative talents and they never returned after that.

That was a showcase of Spikey, Fitzmaurice and Kay's creative talents as well.

Norton Canes

Blinder Data

Known to be a joke-thief. His reception at the British Comedy Awards when he won a lifetime award was pretty frosty iirc.

I don't know much about him personally but I've heard he's not very nice. The fact he milked his audience by releasing a DVD compilation every year made up of chatshow appearances and adverts sums up. The guy had the gall to release DVDs of the same show at different venues - thousands must have bought it not realising they'd already heard the material. Money-grubbing doesn't cover it.

However, yes, the Bolton Albert Halls show is spectacular and is for the most really funny stuff that is cross-generational and crowd-pleasing without being rubbish. Rare stuff nowadays.

buzby

Quote from: metaltax on August 16, 2019, 02:15:06 PM
That was a showcase of Spikey, Fitzmaurice and Kay's creative talents as well.
Yes, they co-wrote all 6 episodes. Irish comedian Gareth Hughes also co-wrote 3 episodes, and was a finalist in the 1997 BBC New Comedy Award alongside Kay and Fitzmaurice (won by Paul Foot, with Kay as the runner up). The last trace I can find of Hughes is possibly as the compere at the Courtyard Comedy Club in Hereford (like Fitzmaurice, who is the MC at the Laughterhouse in Liverpool)

Replies From View

Quote from: buzby on August 16, 2019, 02:54:34 PM
Yes, they co-wrote all 6 episodes. Irish comedian Gareth Hughes also co-wrote 3 episodes, and was a finalist in the 1997 BBC New Comedy Award alongside Kay and Fitzmaurice (won by Paul Foot, with Kay as the runner up). The last trace I can find of Hughes is possibly as the compere at the Courtyard Comedy Club in Hereford (like Fitzmaurice, who is the MC at the Laughterhouse in Liverpool)

You can tell it's a collaboration from the complete lack of such artistry and nuance in everything Peter Kay has done since.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Utter Shit on August 16, 2019, 12:08:26 PM
Na fair play the one at the Bolton Albert Hall is fantastic. Is it that he went shit after those early shows, or did he just stop doing stand up altogether? I remember him getting criticised for releasing sly compilation DVDs that were packaged as new shows, but I don't remember him ever putting out new shows that were badly received?

Kay was a freak of stand-up nature in that he hit the ground running immediately. I think it was his second or third gig where he won one of the heats for a competition that he went on to win. That's just mad to have an act that well formed already. Lucy Porter mentions him as being a comedian she never saw have a bad night and when you look at his career it probably took about 5 years from his stand-up debut to doing a massive nationwide tour. In other words, from a commercial and critical standpoint, he'd cracked it very quickly which is bound to have affected his motivation.

QuoteI don't remember him ever putting out new shows that were badly received?

There was The Tour That Doesn't Tour Tour that wasn't as good as the earlier shows but I wouldn't be brave enough to call it badly received since it sold out every night. Although it was badly received by me if that counts. It was more of the same - nostalgia, observations and a creaky old bit about mishearing song lyrics. 

Quote from: iamcoop on August 16, 2019, 01:29:35 PM
Shit now and dead soon though.

I thought that thing about him being really ill was just an urban myth.

neveragain

Quote from: Replies From View on August 16, 2019, 04:04:50 PM
You can tell it's a collaboration from the complete lack of such artistry and nuance in everything Peter Kay has done since.

Car Share is, for me, as good as (or, be fair, just slightly less good) than TPKT and Phoenix Nights. It made me forgive Kay for all his lazy re-releases and the possibly-true gossip about him being a twat. I actually enjoyed his most recent stand-up show as well but wouldn't be surprised if it was mostly old material.

But he did do Max and Paddy as well. We mustn't forget that.

buzby

Quote from: neveragain on August 16, 2019, 07:25:42 PM
Car Share is, for me, as good as (or, be fair, just slightly less good) than TPKT and Phoenix Nights. It made me forgive Kay for all his lazy re-releases and the possibly-true gossip about him being a twat. I actually enjoyed his most recent stand-up show as well but wouldn't be surprised if it was mostly old material.
Car Share was pitched to him by it's creators and is co-written by them with Kay and Sian Gibson. He works best in collaboration but seems to have ego issues regards to giving his collaborators due credit.

neveragain

Ah, I didn't know that. Interesting, thanks.

jobotic

Sian Gibson is great isn't she?

That Comedy Store (?) gig mentioned upthread - he's funny but its a lot less cuddly fun Peter than he would become.

metaltax

Please don't forget to give it its proper title. It's called Peter Kay's Car Share.

Terryfuckwit

Love that joke in his last DVD about always getting free garlic bread. His new phrase is 'Plasma screen TV? Plasma screen TV, it's the future'

Replies From View

Quote from: Terryfuckwit on August 17, 2019, 11:17:15 AM
Love that joke in his last DVD about always getting free garlic bread.

I want it to be true and his own personal endless misery jumper.

Suki Bapswent

Top of the Tower was brilliant.

There. I said it.

dirkgonnadirk

i saw the bolton albert hall show tour live and whilst i was ~16, it was the hardest i've ever laughed at a show. my jaw ached the next day.

i always found phoenix nights rather overrated.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Suki Bapswent on August 18, 2019, 01:04:11 PM
Top of the Tower was brilliant.

There. I said it.

Yes, and yes.

The downhill momentum probably started as soon as it ended.

imitationleather

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 18, 2019, 03:44:42 PM
Yes, and yes.

The downhill momentum probably started as soon as it ended.

I'd say so. I saw the Bolton Albert Halls tour live and that felt like an immediate step-down from Top of the Tower.

Twed