Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:31:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nirvanna The Band The Show The Third Season [split topic]

Started by Led Souptin, January 08, 2019, 10:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Led Souptin

new interview with the boys here. some news about season 3, spoiler alert it isn't very good news. but it's news. have some news

28:45 for the info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIWMOMIdSdg

the whole thing is worth a watch even though the interviewers arent great and the questions are baaaaaaaaad ("who are the better canadians, you or matt stone and trey parker?") - wow.

VelourSpirit

Ahh that's shit. At least they're still working on it a bit. Before Viceland ended I was sure we'd have had season 4 by now since they'd already filmed some of season 3 before 2 was even out.

madhair60

Led Souptin

production on season 3 stopped because of viceland not being a thing anymore.
they're working on it on and off, 2 episodes apparently finished but probably only 4 episodes for season 3 and no idea how it will be distributed.
i really hope they just crowdfund it, if they can

C_Larence

Good news for anyone in Canada:
Quote from: Jay McCarrol's instagramStarting June 13 you can stream Season 1 and 2 on CBC Gem - that's Canada only. Yes, we are working on a USA plan. Yes, Season 3 is almost done shooting.

Also, someone posted this in a Toronto fb group 2 weeks ago. Naughty boys.

HEY GUYS

Thanks to this forum and All4 I have now devoured all of this delicious show twice over. I can't add anything to what's already been said but I can't get over how inventive and clever the whole enterprise is. It's almost impossible to see what's been staged and what has happened organically. But what really sells it is the central premise and the sheer loveliness of Jay and Matt's friendship. The interaction between themselves and the hapless bystanders they engage with is always real and warm. And then they throw tons of film and TV references into the mix because the rest of the material isn't enough? Amazing.

The Operation Avalanche episode is especially incredible. Having already seen the real film a couple of years ago, the way they've worked in the Sundance festival stuff into the story is kind of spellbinding.

I really have never seen anything else like it.

alan nagsworth

madhair60

madhair60

alan nagsworth

Quote from: weaseldust on August 16, 2019, 10:18:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AATuFxYPfPY

"well, it worked this time"

The end of the episode with the GoldenEye 64 tournament when Jay chucks Matt out of the hospital like Jazzy Jeff from Fresh Prince and the parody credits roll is utterly brilliant.

I've said it before in here, and Baby Of The Year put it very well in their post above, but the heart and soul in this show, the strength of Matt and Jay's friendship, is so fucking endearing and beautiful that it makes the comedy so much funnier. You seriously feel like a part of their world. I can't watch The Buffet without crying my eyes out.

alan nagsworth

Also HOLY FUCK I FORGOT TO POST THIS HERE! Jay posted this incredible teaser snippet the other week, with ERIC FUCKEN ANDRE playing the part of Matt!

SWASTIKAS

Ferris

Should I be watching Nirvanna the Band the Show?

I'm dimly aware of it, but only because it is Torontonian (?) and I've never met anyone who's actually watched it.

alan nagsworth

Mate, absolutely you should. It's up there with Nathan For You and Jon Glaser Loves Gear/Delocated as some of the most inventive and brilliant western comedy of the last decade, honestly. Their copyright law-bending and interactions with the public in order to make the show are nowt short of genius. It's severely underrated and utterly joyous. From the very start of the first episode (the Jurassic Park first impressions bit) I immediately knew I was going to love it, and I was not wrong.

Twed

That's the clip that made me think "I should check out more of these guys".

Twed

Although I think that he might be saying a racist "I rike it!" instead of "I reckon".

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Twed on August 17, 2019, 06:11:15 PM
Although I think that he might be saying a racist "I rike it!" instead of "I reckon".

Yeah I believe you're correct there. Fuckin cancel it lads

Zetetic

Regardless, a useful prompt to check out both "Nirvana The Band The Show" and "Nirvanna The Band The Show".

Ron Superior

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 17, 2019, 04:07:47 PM
Should I be watching Nirvanna the Band the Show?

I'm dimly aware of it, but only because it is Torontonian (?) and I've never met anyone who's actually watched it.

This is the original article that piqued my interest and I think I included it in the original thread. Reading through this gives you a decent idea of what the show's about. It's a really really special show.

https://www.vulture.com/2017/02/how-to-make-a-tv-show-backwards-with-nirvanna-the-band.html

Ferris

Quote from: alan nagsworth on August 17, 2019, 04:13:11 PM
Mate, absolutely you should. It's up there with Nathan For You and Jon Glaser Loves Gear/Delocated as some of the most inventive and brilliant western comedy of the last decade, honestly. Their copyright law-bending and interactions with the public in order to make the show are nowt short of genius. It's severely underrated and utterly joyous. From the very start of the first episode (the Jurassic Park first impressions bit) I immediately knew I was going to love it, and I was not wrong.

I love Nathan For You and Jon Glaser's output* so it bodes well you picked those as comparisons. And ooh! I think I can watch it for free as a Canadian. I'll give a few episodes a go.

Excited now. Thanks all!

*GEAAAAAAAARRRR!!

zomgmouse

Highly recommend starting with the original webseries if you can get hold of it.

NoSleep

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 17, 2019, 11:41:54 PM
I love Nathan For You and Jon Glaser's output*

So do I, but this didn't click with me. And I really gave it a shot, watching most of season 1 and again for an episode or two of season 2. I see how it's similar to the aforementioned but it just doesn't have the emotional hold they do.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: NoSleep on August 18, 2019, 07:48:42 AM
So do I, but this didn't click with me. And I really gave it a shot, watching most of season 1 and again for an episode or two of season 2. I see how it's similar to the aforementioned but it just doesn't have the emotional hold they do.

Sorry you feel that way, I totally disagree (which is weird because normally we see eye to eye on everything!). Have you seen the aforementioned The Buffet episode from season one? Puts my heart through the wringer every time. I reckon if that one does nowt for you then it's probably not your bag.

weaseldust

speaking of the buffet episode, there's something about it that i've never understood...

spoiler:why does matt spend so long trying to stop jay from reading the letter and then all of a sudden he changes his mind and wants to read it, trying to grab it from him etc?

(p.s. if anyone wants a link to a google drive with all the episodes, and the webseries with commentaries, deleted scenes, pm me)

VelourSpirit

It's nearly been two years since season 2! Lucky every episode never stops being fun, and it's always gratifying to get the chance to introduce it to people. Always been annoyed that there's only a few tiny clips, mostly deleted scenes, on YouTube and Viceland would remove literally anything they didn't approve. Did they not want anyone to know about it? I know so many people who would love it.

Twed

Quote from: alan nagsworth on August 18, 2019, 12:47:37 PM
Sorry you feel that way, I totally disagree (which is weird because normally we see eye to eye on everything!). Have you seen the aforementioned The Buffet episode from season one? Puts my heart through the wringer every time. I reckon if that one does nowt for you then it's probably not your bag.
"One last chance! I have one more trick up my sleeve!"

C_Larence

Quote from: weaseldust on August 18, 2019, 07:13:07 PM
speaking of the buffet episode, there's something about it that i've never understood...

spoiler:why does matt spend so long trying to stop jay from reading the letter and then all of a sudden he changes his mind and wants to read it, trying to grab it from him etc?

(p.s. if anyone wants a link to a google drive with all the episodes, and the webseries with commentaries, deleted scenes, pm me)

I see it as Matt partly playing mind games with Jay, for having the audacity to want to leave, but mostly he wants to get his hands on it so he can destroy the evidence, as he does outside.

Quote from: Twed on August 18, 2019, 10:21:27 PM
"One last chance! I have one more trick up my sleeve!"

My favourite line in that episode, if not the whole show, is when the couple are arguing behind Matt and he says with complete confidence "I have a mirror in my hat" takes it off, looks in it and goes  "fuck no i don't"

Twed

Quote from: C_Larence on August 19, 2019, 05:10:19 PMMy favourite line in that episode, if not the whole show, is when the couple are arguing behind Matt and he says with complete confidence "I have a mirror in my hat" takes it off, looks in it and goes  "fuck no i don't"
I love that too. He seems to have genuinely caught himself by surprise.