Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:57:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welsh Independence

Started by bgmnts, August 16, 2019, 07:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

Quote from: canadagoose on August 16, 2019, 09:45:18 PMIf they don't, that's cool too.
I think at some point there's going to need to be a degree of realism about the the threat that an extant rUK poses, whether that's the rump left by Scottish or Scottish+NI or Scottish+NI+Welsh independence.

canadagoose

Quote from: Zetetic on August 16, 2019, 09:47:43 PM
I think at some point there's going to need to be a degree of realism about the the threat that an extant rUK poses, whether that's the rump left by Scottish or Scottish+NI or Scottish+NI+Welsh independence.
I fear if Wales doesn't get out of the rUK after Scottish independence (and I'm not even sure that'll happen - I have a feeling it won't, again) it may end up left with Trident off its coast. Then again, I've heard the current installation might remain as a kind of EWNI exclave.

Zetetic

I'd also say, hummingofevil, that Welsh Government also gets away with an awful lot of fucking nonsense because the complete lack of any capacity to interrogate its decisions intelligently.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Zetetic on August 16, 2019, 09:22:38 PM
Although this doesn't tell you very much, given that Wales shows much the same divide on the issue as England did. (And indeed Scotland, even the average was tweaked over a few points in that case.)

No, all it really tells you is more people in Wales voted to leave the EU than remain - about 110 people opted leave for every 100 plumping remain, in fact. Which is more than the UK as a whole. So much for it being a project of English nationalism.

Zetetic

I don't think that much to disprove that it's fundamentally a project of "English nationalism".

It's difficult to disentangle "English nationalism" from "British nationalism" because of how "English" people conceive of the UK(/"Britain"). In England, British nationalism is English nationalism - how could it be otherwise?

British-Welsh identity is odd (in that it is unusual in the context of national identity in the UK as a whole), involves small numbers (compared to England) and can't tell us much in itself about the identity of the 50 million or so over the border. The British-Welsh merging is different to British-English merging.

Regardless, the more interesting topic here is probably the town/city divide - which in "England" outs itself as something akin to English-British nationalism.